Smith And Wesson Forums banner

4516-1 Part with it or keep it?

24K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  tony_ 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a new member here and thought I would begin asking information on the 4516's. My wife and I just completed our CWP training class here in Florida and I am now looking for small carry pistols. I have a S&W 4516-1 in very good condition which I don't use. I have spoken to several gun dealers, including Gander Mountain about trade in value of this handgun and most of them throw out a "low ball" amount of $200 to $225 trade-in towards one of their new .380's. I was born awhile ago, but it wasn't yesterday! I could probably get as much for an inexpensive P11 Kel Tec that I own! Does anybody have a good feel for these 4516's in today's market? I see many conversations dating back to 2010 & 11 and the prices seemed up in the price I would expect. I wish I could find some 2014 conversations so I could realistically know what this gun might be worth. It's a very clean 4516-1 with two magazines. Finish is in great shape, even though the Gander Mountain rep tried to convince me the gun had some scratches (they are faint scuff marks which can easily be removed with a Scotch Brite pad). Another method to convince you of the small amount they offer! Any feedback on current values would be appreciated! Without see many of these on the selling blocks might suggest these guns are being kept?

Thanks!

#3 ·
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I took a look on gunbroker.com in the Completed Auctions and 4516's like new in the box are going for around $600. Others have sold for between $450 and $600. If you don't have the original box, papers and tools, subtract $50 even with the extra magazine (not clip). The gun dealers are offering about 1/2 in trade on what they expect to sell the gun for. So, I's say you could move the .45 for $400 in a quick sale. Could take longer to find a motivated buyer at a higher price. Just my opinion. YMMV

BTW, we love pictures. Please post some of your 4516.

#4 ·
They go for around $500 at most local gun stores near me. Which means the seller got about $350 - $425 depending on the store and if it was an outright sale or trade. The one store I know marks guns up $75 - $100. So if yo were to sell to them they would give you $400. If you traded $425.

Also I'm talking about this specific gun. Otherwise gins are more or less depending on their popularity and quality but the value would still be the same

#7 · (Edited)
In my area, you will get less than 40% of retail price in a gun store trade. You are practically giving your gun away.

I always tell my friends who are looking to trade in guns that they would probably feel better just throwing their guns into a lake.

Look, that is one fine little carry piece. Your tastes in carry guns will change...perhaps even season to season. Don't be in a hurry to sell anything. I have let go some really nice guns that way, much to my regret.

I strongly recommend keeping that pistol and getting a quality carry rig for it. There's no way I would let a 4516 go.

After seeing the lowball offers out there, what do you really have to lose?

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for your feedback! Yes, it is a very nice handgun. It is a little more in weight and size than I would care to carry. My original thought was, why shell out $300 to $400 for a small .380 carry pistol, when I have the Smith at home locked up in the safe? I will not let this pistol go for the ridiculous amount they were offering me. I will hold on to it, maybe start using it at the range or sell it outright to someone who might have the need for that type of handgun and be willing to pay me what both feel is a fair price. I'm always a believer that everyone should be able to make a reasonable profit, but 100% +, give me a break! Sell the new gun at your expected profit and pick up an additional $100 to $150 on the trade you took in.

Live does go on! Have a nice day Guys!

#10 ·
lights, labor, building, licenses, insurance, maintenance all costs money. Brick and mortar shops are expensive to run and 15% over a new gun sale is not going to keep the lights on. How long is that Smith going to sit on the shelf at your dealers before it sells? Remember, when all the local retail establishments are gone we will have only ourselves to blame.

#11 ·
Chaosrob - As I said in my post, "everyone should be able to make a reasonable profit!" Your point of business expenses is well taken. I didn't expect these dealers to take the 15% profit on their gun and not make anything on mine. In using your 15% on their retail and the amount they told me they would ask for my pistol, they stood to make $212 on one gun transaction. If they had offered me $60 more on my pistol which is still considerably less than what my pistol is worth, I might have agreed to the transaction. Had I agreed, they would have ended up making $152! Mind you, I never questioned the amount of money they were asking for their pistol. I would consider that $152 transaction a "reasonable profit" which neither party loses. Instead, they didn't make a dime! And you are probably right, when all the local retail establishments are gone, you probably will have yourselves to blame!

#12 ·
I do not own a retail gun store so I am a little unsure about what you are trying to insinuate. The fact of the matter is 3rd gen smiths are slow sellers to all but the most die hard smith guys. There have been boatloads of police trade in models that have flooded the market as the various departments abandoned them in favor of the newer poly wonder guns. For every 1000 people who frequent a gun store I bet less than 5 would give the 4516 a second look.You are making a broad assumption on what they would have wound up selling your pistol for, had they acquired it. very few used pistols bring the asking price in a gun store when they actually sell. Even if we use your math, and they made 212.00 on your pistol how many pistols would they have to sell in a day to pay the utilities, rent, labor, taxes, inventory interest, etc? I am betting you do not own a business of any type in order to understand the true cost of running one

#14 ·
Chaosrob - This is going nowhere; you brought up the cost of doing business as a gun shop owner. I merely told the other members that responded to this post that I am not going to give the gun away. I'll either use it or sell it outright at a price which is good for both a buyer and myself as a seller!

Have a nice day!

#15 ·
IF it ain't eatin anything I'd keep it. You would have to pay at least what the cheap-skate dealer said he'd give you for it. The dealer wants to get $350-$450 for it! I hate it when the guys at tables tell me "I do this for a business, and I have to make money." Get a grip. I walk away when they tell me "I'm a Dealer". They must be the only guy's allowed to make money. POS. A 4516 is a 45 acp pistol? KEEP IT! jmho

#19 ·
I have a 4516-1. I'll never sell it just for the fact that it's not like the new pistols today. I have Mod2 Springfields I carry mostly but would carry my .45 Smith any day too. It might be a little heavy but it helps with recoil. One handed is not a problem. I've sold a few guns and only regretted it. I try not to sell them anymore.

#23 ·
Zombie threads never die.... they just keep surfacing, and surfacing... For some reason, the OP has never returned.

The current poster just registered, so must have been searching for something in this thread...