+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&w shield 9mm reliability question

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

S&w shield 9mm reliability question

I want to get a 9mm shield but want to see if there are any majornissues with them. So far I can only find issues with the 40 cal version where some mags were dropping out when fired.Any other issues any one has seen or heard?

Member #
    Liked
    3000 times
    I have had a 9mm shield since last October. I have fired over 600 rounds, made up of 5 or 6 ammo brands and have had absolutely no problems or malfunctions. As far as the mag drop problem with the 40's. It is my understanding that the problem only existed in early production guns and has since been resolved. The Shield is a great pistol and I have no problem highly recommending it. I am carrying mine right now and trust it with my life.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    I believe the Shield to be just about the ultimate carry gun.

I've lost track of the number of rounds down range, but mine has functioned flawlessly.
    popscleveland likes this.
    "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory. - Aldo Gucci

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    I had heard that the Shield was experiencing issues, however when I posted the question, I received only positive feed back...
    Life Member, NRA
    Member, CRPA
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    When I take mine to the range, I routinely let others try it out. Without exception, people love it!
    "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory. - Aldo Gucci

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MandP9c View Post
    I had heard that the Shield was experiencing issues, however when I posted the question, I received only positive feed back...
    What did you hear?

Member #
    Liked
    2447 times
    I heard of issues with them too, so I passed over it and bought a Kahr PM9. My friend brought his over to shoot and I put a box through it without issue, and he put 3 boxes through it with no hiccups. It's small, but shoots bigger than it is with pretty darn good results. I love my Kahr but if I had it to do over again I would have bought the Smith. Cheaper, just as reliable, carries a little easier and a good all around pistol imho.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I carry my Shield every day. 24/7 and have about 1,500 rounds thru it of at least 10 different ammo types. No issues.

The only thing I can complain about is the finish. since I carry rain or shine, on boats, atv's, working out, training, you name it. The finish has deteriorated on the edges so much that I have to clean and reapply oil almost daily under normal sweaty hot Florida conditions. If it gets wet or out on the boat it always gets cleaned on return. In comparison the Tenifer coating on my Glock , Walther P99 or PPQ has never had an issue. The coatings that S&W are using are now holding up under extreme conditions. Under normal wear it seems adequate.

Still the design, handling, accuracy, and it ability to shoot various brands of ammo is superb. That is why I still carry it most of the time.
    He Who HESITATES has LOST

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TDR911 View Post
    I carry my Shield every day. 24/7 and have about 1,500 rounds thru it of at least 10 different ammo types. No issues.

The only thing I can complain about is the finish. since I carry rain or shine, on boats, atv's, working out, training, you name it. The finish has deteriorated on the edges so much that I have to clean and reapply oil almost daily under normal sweaty hot Florida conditions. If it gets wet or out on the boat it always gets cleaned on return. In comparison the Tenifer coating on my Glock , Walther P99 or PPQ has never had an issue. The coatings that S&W are using are now holding up under extreme conditions. Under normal wear it seems adequate.

Still the design, handling, accuracy, and it ability to shoot various brands of ammo is superb. That is why I still carry it most of the time.
    I don't have a Smith and Wesson weapon right now. I am bidding on a .40, so we'll see. But I do have a Tanfoglio Witness .40 that has very tight tolerances with the slide fitting on the frame. Naturally, that causes wear. A gunsmith with 50 years experience told me about Rig +P that he has used for years with great results. A little goes a long way. I found some at midwayusa. It works great, and I don't think you will need to apply it near as often imo.

Member #
    Liked
    2447 times
    Well I just traded in for one and am going to dump it pretty quick. It is reliable, and accurate, but does not fill a void for me. It's bigger than my pm9 and smaller than a commander. It is a pistol that does not have a place for me, but I can see why everyone likes them, if they do not have a bunch of different carry models to choose from

Links