+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Best 10MM Semi-Auto handgun??? Opinions wanted!!!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Best 10MM Semi-Auto handgun??? Opinions wanted!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and recently got the bug for a 10MM Semi-Auto handgun.

My question to all of you is: What is the best 10MM semi-auto handgun??

I would like to hear about all makes & models, S&W, Colt, Glock, Bren Ten, ......etc.

Please give me your opinions and why you feel it is the best!!

Thank you.....
    rock185 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3407 times
    With apologies to the late Lt.Col. Cooper the Bren 10 folks went belly up before they got going and what shipped lacked magazines. My only experience was with a M1911 Delta Elite and it was stout. My LGS guy has carried a Glock off/on he swears its tolerable. I had a large all steel S&W .45 one of the TSWs. Accurate, large and heavy, probably a good platform for the 10mm but I found it too heavy for CCW use.

Member #
    Liked
    1329 times
    Well, I own 3 10mm semi's, and have fired S&W, Glock, and RIA. IMHO the S&W 1006 is as good as you will find. I like my Glock 29, but not nearly as well as the Smith. I have never handled a Bren or EAA. I didn't especially care for the RIA, but it had a good trigger. It's a 1911 style, and I don't care much for those. Lots do, just not my thing.
    Hope this helps.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12815 times
    It's a solid toss up. The Colt 1911 Delta Elite or the STI 10mm 2011.

From what a friend of mine has indicated, both are outstanding, once you find the right ammo for them.
    He owns both, so he'll be the better judge of the two side by side. I'm sure he'll tell us that the STI is the better of the two.
    Let's wait till he chimes in.
    If I remember correctly, bobr has a 10mm pistol. Maybe he'll chime in soon.

So far, I haven't had the urge to buy one, but if I do, I'll be asking the same questions here too.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 04-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2978 times
    Don't leave out Dan Wesson. But boy they have gotten pricey in the last 5 years or so. If I were to go with the 10mm in a 1911 platform, it'd be a Dan Wesson.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a 1006. Gotta make do with a boring, vanilla Glock 20 as I have never even laid eyes on a 1006 around these parts. The Glock works great and fits the role I want it for, but it just ain't got no soul. Best thing about it is that I know it'll work and put rounds where I want them. Just wish I could bond with the darn thing.

Of course, the Bren Ten was the springboard and is by far one of the downright sexiest handguns ever made, but availability, price, complete lack of spare parts and service makes it nothing more than a wallhanger. Trouble is if I was lucky enough to have one, I'd have no choice but shoot the hell out of it, have something break and then where would I be?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7091 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lumber31 View Post

My question to all of you is: What is the best 10MM semi-auto handgun??

I would like to hear about all makes & models, S&W, Colt, Glock, Bren Ten, ......etc.

Please give me your opinions and why you feel it is the best!!.
    The best for what? LeMat and I have Glocks that work for protection in the woods. Reliable and accurate enough. Also not too expensive. I'm fortunate enough to have an STI Perfect 10, a Colt Delta Elite, a custom Mark Morris Carry Comp built on a Caspian platform, a Smith & Wesson 1006 and 610 (revolver). The Dan Wesson mentioned by LeMat is on my short list as well as the Bren 10, if they can be found. All that said, this cartridge isn't for everyone. It has SIGNIFICANT recoil and muzzle flash. It can launch a .40 cal. 180 gr bullet at 1400 fps if loaded properly. It will over penetrate everything when used for personal defense. So forget any urban use unless it's at a range. Also, if recoil springs aren't carefully matched to he pistol, it will eventually beat itself to death. Some of the lighter 1911 framed 10mm have exhibited this problem.

When you respond with what you want to do with it, I'll give a opinion as to which I think is best.
    DocZeus, LeMat and BigShrek14 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

What uses do I have planned for the 10mm auto??

I am a recent transplant to the west coast from Alaska, where I carried a .44 mag for at least 15 years for protection while out in the woods. That is until I saw how ineffective that round can truly be on animals in the field. Don't get me wrong it will work, just not as quickly as I want a firearm to do so, especially if it is something that wants to kill and eat me. Then I discovered the .454 Casull!! Everything I've shot with it have all been one shot kills, very quickly!! All but two animals dropping right in their tracks! So, I don't mind carrying a heavy all steel handgun & I can handle recoil accurately. I'm looking for the best 10mm auto size & weight is not really an issue.

So, my intended use would mainly be to carry this 10MM auto for protection while in the out doors hiking and possibly some deer / hog hunting in non-grizzly bear country.
    I intend to use a 200 grn bullet, or heavier, load from the likes of Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon, or my own reloads.

And I'm leaning towards a 5" barreled gun, but have not ruled out a 4" version.

With that additional information, what are your recommendations??

Member #
    Liked
    650 times
    Can't beat the G20 for $569, and it will not rust outdoors.

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    Pick up a stainless Delta Elite or a G20. Whichever fits you better. Glocks don't care much for cast bullets, and the brass must be sized completely to eliminate the bulge from the unsupported chamber.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7091 times
    If size and weight aren't a factor, and you want to shoot full bore 200gr bullets, then out of all the 10's in the stable, the STI would be my choice. The Glock would be second. The 1911 framed 10's could have issues with a constant diet of heavy rounds. Also, the STI is a double stack that will carry a total of 17. Carry an extra mag and you can stand off Mr. Bear and ALL of his little friends.

The STI sells the Perfect 10 as a tactical weapon. The only option is hard chrome, and that would bump $3K in price. And they're hard to find. Again, the next best option would be a Glock 20 or 20C. Not as pricey, but it will beat you up a bit more with the loads you want to shoot.

My opinion. Let us know what you decide. BTW, what 454 did you carry? And if that worked, why switch to a 10 at this point?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links