+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Best 10MM Semi-Auto handgun??? Opinions wanted!!!

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    How is this gun substantially different and any other 1911. I'm looking for substance and not aesthetic or comfort features. Just asking a question.

Bruce

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13056 times
    Bruce,
    The STI pistols are in a class all by themselves. This particular pistol was built from the ground up to manage the 10mm platform flawlessly. It looks like a 1911, but that's just about where the similarities end.

I have 3 1911 pistols. A Colt, a Springfield, and a Ruger. All 3 are 1911's but that's where the similarities end. Each has it's strong points and weak points as well. STI is striving not to have any weak point with their pistols.

Snakedrive mentioned that he was going to get this whiz bang of a perfect pistol, about 4 or 5 months ago. So I did some research. STI took all the great features of the 1911 .45 ACP platform, and completely refined them. Every exterior surface and all of the bearing surfaces are hand detailed for a perfect fit. Not just good, but perfect.
    This is like having Ed Brown take the best 1911 Colt Delta Elite pistol made and completely rebuildign and refinishing it, from top to bottom. And the cost of the STI is comparable to what Ed Brown would charge.
    Look them up (STI), and do some reading about them and you'll find high praise being shared about this company, and the guns they produce.
    I couldn't find one single comment to the negative. If the owners of these guns rated them on a 1-10 scale, their pistols would be a 9.99 at least.

I can't say that about any other handgun maker that I'm aware of. Not just for one handgun they produce, but for every model in their lineup.

If you can recall maybe 10 years back, when Kimber was producing some of the finest pistols at the time. And they were getting premium money for those pistols too. The level of praise for their guns was almost unheard of. But Kimber decided to rest on their laurels. And now they produce average quality run of the mill pistols, because they decided sales volume was more important than quality. And their pistol show that lack of quality detail they used to have.

So far to date, STI is now the "New Kimber", and until somebody can out perform them, they plan to stay there as long as possible.
    They take orders based solely on their capacity. They don't accept orders that they can't fill in their scheduled lead time. You won't see these pistols much at all, because each one is pretty much hand made and they can't mass produce what they make. From everything I've read about them, each one of thier pistols is hand tuned to shooting perfection.
    I would just hope that some day I might do well enough to own one of them. Probably not, but it's a nice thought any way.

It's been interesting learning about STI and what makes them tick. They have very high standards, they live up to them, and their products show it.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    USMC Snakedriver likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7298 times
    Bruce,

First off, it's a 2011. The frame is molded and the grips are part of the frame. It has similar ergonomics to a 1911, but it's a double stack. The barrel is 6", so it maximizes velocity from the 10mm cartridge. The pistol is designed around the cartridge, and is not a .45 rebarreled to a 10. The tightness of the slide to frame, the barrel lock up and the trigger are custom fitted. It's accurate and more durable than any 1911 platform accommodating the 10. And the list goes on.

Pull up the STI web site and more details are available. But you have to admit, it is pretty good looking!

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    Still don't have an answer to my question. Let me phrase this another way. How are the mechanics of it's operation different from any other 1911 clone during the firing cycle. Just wondering.

Bruce

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7298 times
    The functioning is similar to a 1911. The improvements are in the details. It's hard to come up with a better concept than Browning's original design.

Bruce, if you have another candidate for top 10, what is it and why?

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    This is like having Ed Brown take the best 1911 Colt Delta Elite pistol made and completely rebuildign and refinishing it, from top to bottom.
    The problem with the 1911 & the 10mm round is that the firing dynamics overpower the platform and no amount of fluff & buff is going to change that. Actually, Browning did move on from one of the weaker points of the 1911 design with the elimination of the swinging link in the P35 Hi-Power's design.Similarly, Peter Stahl, Smith & Wesson and others have moved away from that design feature. On lesser loadings, it is probably inconsequential. In 10mm and more powerful rounds, not so much.

Look, it's not that I have an issue with the 1911's design because I don't. I own a few and love shooting them. It's longevity and continued popularity iterate it's genius. I just don't feel that it's suitable for all handgun rounds in the same way that the 1894 Winchester lever action isn't suitable for all rifle rounds. You can make the 1911 action work with the 10mm chambering. For how long and how well remains to be seen, especially the "long". No amount of dress up will change the basic limitations. There comes a point where something is what it is.

Are the Glock's and Smith 10xx's of the world as refined and "pleasing to shoot" in their OEM form as the STI, Fusion and Colt 1911 10mm offerings? For most, especially confirmed 1911 shooters, probably not. This does not change the fact that the basic Smith & Glock platforms are basically better suited for the 10mm round.

In my view and I'm sure others will differ.

Bruce

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
    The problem with the 1911 & the 10mm round is that the firing dynamics overpower the platform and no amount of fluff & buff is going to change that. Actually, Browning did move on from one of the weaker points of the 1911 design with the elimination of the swinging link in the P35 Hi-Power's design.Similarly, Peter Stahl, Smith & Wesson and others have moved away from that design feature. On lesser loadings, it is probably inconsequential. In 10mm and more powerful rounds, not so much.

Look, it's not that I have an issue with the 1911's design because I don't. I own a few and love shooting them. It's longevity and continued popularity iterate it's genius. I just don't feel that it's suitable for all handgun rounds in the same way that the 1894 Winchester lever action isn't suitable for all rifle rounds. You can make the 1911 action work with the 10mm chambering. For how long and how well remains to be seen, especially the "long". No amount of dress up will change the basic limitations. There comes a point where something is what it is.

Are the Glock's and Smith 10xx's of the world as refined and "pleasing to shoot" in their OEM form as the STI, Fusion and Colt 1911 10mm offerings? For most, especially confirmed 1911 shooters, probably not. This does not change the fact that the basic Smith & Glock platforms are basically better suited for the 10mm round.

In my view and I'm sure others will differ.

Bruce
    Bruce,

I give up. You have no experience with a 2011 platform. You make erroneous assumptions lacking specific facts that are central to your argument about 1911's chambered for 10mm. Specifically strength of the platform and it's ability to accomodate full power 10mm rounds over an extended period or the reasonable life expectations of the firearm.

You're arguing a position familiar to you, 1911's and the Smith 1006 series. But you are making assumption that are uninformed. Logic and reason obviously won't sway your opinion. So, "Hear me now and believe me later" - 1911 platform chambered for 10mm -BAD! 2011 platform chambered for 10mm - GOOD! If all you can afford is a Smith, then that's probably your best bet for a 10mm. But the thread asked for the BEST 10mm. And without any further qualifiers, the STI is the top gun.

Name:  IMG_4893.jpg
Views: 5822
Size:  42.7 KBName:  IMG_4895.jpg
Views: 2558
Size:  37.9 KBName:  IMG_4894.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG_4897.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  40.5 KB

Here's pictures of each platform next to the other for comparison.
    Last edited by USMC Snakedriver; 03-03-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    gearchecker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    All attachments give "invalid attachment" error messages.

As far as my arguments, there is not argument per sae, just opinion.

I really liked small block Chevy V8's back while the earth was still cooling. That said, there was always something wrong with this line of thought; if the 283 cid is good, the 327 is better, the 350 better yet and the 400 cid best. Except that the 400 was too much displacement for the block. No matter how much the block was blueprinted and how many aftermarket products were attached, the bore was just too large. As far as the 2011's design life when chambered in 10mm, it's possible. When there are thousands of specimens out there which have fired 10's of thousands of 37,000+ PSI full power rounds, we'll be able to make a more difinitive judgement regarding the design life.

As far as logic and reason, I'm sure that you have intimate insider information unavailable to members of the unwashed masses such as myself.

No that it matters in the grand scheme of things but until then.......

Gearchecker, what I'm saying doesn't have a single thing to do with fit, finish or quality of components-all of the things you cite.

B.
    Last edited by BruceM; 03-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13056 times
    Bruce,

Gearchecker, what I'm saying doesn't have a single thing to do with fit, finish or quality of components-all of the things you cite.
    But it does. Those 3 are the entire backbone of a shooting platform.
    Without all 3, it doesn't work, and nobody would be interested in owning one.

You might as well be comparing a Jennings 9mm to a S&W Model 4006, and calling it an even comaprison, simply because they have slides, a frame, and they both shoot bullets.

If that's your argument, then this STI 10 is the 440 magnum of car engines.
    Few will argue that the 440 isn't in a class by itself, even though it looks and functions much the same as any other engine.
    It is bigger, it is better, and it kicks the butt of every other engine available to the buying public.
    It's proven at Daytona, and every other driving range in the country.
    When it 1st came out many said there was no place for it, except on a race track. Try to convince guys and gals that bought the cars with that engine because of it's superiority over others. I believe that the 10mm platform will survive, and it will become more common place among shooters everywhere. Maybe not as much as the 1911, but the 10mm cartridge will stand on it's own in the future, and few if any other cartridge platforms will be compared against it.

~GQ~
    USMC Snakedriver likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The STI looks like an interesting handgun. I will have to do some research on them.

As I posted earlier, I did find a beautiful 1 owner S&W model 1066, for literally 1/2 the going price!!
    I just couldn't pass up a deal like that!! Then I find out there were only 5067 of the 1066's made.

I have since bought a nice Safariland holster from a forum member & a very good looking Dun Hume
    Pancake style holster from a seller on eBay, both at very good prices.

Can't wait to get this bad boy out in the woods after hogs, deer or black bear!!

Can anyone tell me what year my 1066 was made??
    Serial # TFB908X (last number changed to an X to protect the innocent).

Thanks for all the replies and information. I have learned a lot.
    Last edited by lumber31; 03-05-2013 at 02:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Links