+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Agent_Smith

Thread: Smith 41 Clarks reliability package?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Smith 41 Clarks reliability package?

I have a gorgeous 41 that's randomly finicky, even when clean and shooting CCI Standard Velocity, it's favorite food. I'm considering sending it to Clarks Custom Guns for a "reliability package," but that's expensive and a bit of a hassle. Does anyone have experience with Clark's reliability package? Are there any other ways to improve the cycling of a Smith 41, such as a new spring or whatnot? Thanks

AS

WendyZXZ likes this.

Len
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Is the gun broken in it appears to be new? Sometimes it takes a few hundred rounds and they become relable. Or it could be one or a combination of several issues, tight chamber, spring weight, extractor.

I had one 41 that would only shoot Fiochee 320 with 100% reliabilty I tried all kinds of fixes but nothing worked. You may want to experiment with other brands of standrad velocity ammo. In my case Fiochee which was more expensive but I avoided a custom fix and the wait time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am the first owner. It have put at least 1,000 rounds through it. I may just be asking too much for a target pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi AS,

I had hoped that you would get an answer to your question that was specific to the 41. I guess that the community is still eating turkey.

I recently sent the wife's Mark 1 Ruger to Clark for a trigger and reliablity job. I found them to be very customer friendly and they even finished the job a month earlier than their quoted finsh date. As far as the pistol is concerned, it's trigger is vastly better and action has been smothed up. It has always loved CCI STd Vel and contiues so. I can't comment on how it handles except for few rounds I was allowed. All I can say, is the wife sure likes it.

It has been my experince that semi-auto .22 target pistols are very tempermental creatures. My first one was one of old man Clark's Rugers. It took two trips back home to get it to where I was comfortable with the pistol. All of my later pistols have all gone through some sort of after market work. My favorite continues to be an old High Standard Supermatic 106 military that Bob Chow worked over. He had me put about a thousand rounds through it before he would put it through his shop. When I got it back it was a different pistol. I have had more than one Mod 41 owner offer to trade me straight up for it. I have come to believe that some work by a skilled smith is money in the bank and leads to less alibies.

The choice is yours but, I know that you can do no harm by letting Clark work on it and you might be surprised by the results. At the very least, give them a call an talk over your needs.

Bob

Bob

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    My Model 41 is an old one. ( 1959 ) and has zero problems with any type of ammo. It shoots the best groups with Eley Sport or SK Jagd Pistol Match.

Links