+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SD40VE Not ready to shoot afrer feeding

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

SD40VE Not ready to shoot afrer feeding

I have a new SD40VE and I'm not sure what the problem is. I chamber the first round and and it fires fine and may chamber and fire a few more. Then one is chambered but the gun is not ready to fire. I pull the trigger and nothing. It acts like the hammer is not cocked. I didn't think that a round could be chambered without the slide going back enough to cock the gun. After this happens the slide is not free to pull back. With a lot of effort it will finally pull back and extract the round. I thought that it was not feeding properly, but why is it stuck and not ready to fire even though the round appears to be fully seated?

Any ideas, John

Member #
    Liked
    2072 times
    are you using factory ammo? Ive had reloads not go into full battery due to over crimping and it was hard to pull the slide back and eject the round. If its
    factory ammo I have no idea what it might be. If the round is over crimped it will cause it to bulge and keep it from fully entering the chamber, therefore not
    fully "cocking" the gun so nothing will happen when the trigger is pulled. Make sure the slide is all the way forward when this happens again, if not this could be the problem. Have you tried more than one brand/type of ammo? Is the gun new?
    Also, welcome to the forum from CA!
    Mike
    "A smart man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half!" -Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It is a new gun and these are reloads. They are very lightly crimped using a lee factory crimp die. I have checked the diameter or these rounds and they are well under the max. I have tried the rounds in the barrel and they seem fine with no binding. They do seem to be stuck when the failure occurs. Could this be due to too small of a charge? I have had misfeeds from a small charge, but I have never had any that would not eject easily.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I noticed a new problem. It looks like some of the cases are getting deformed. There is a chamfer in the barrel and some of the casings are bulging at this point. Is this chamfer normal? Is it a problem that the casings has bulged?

This is with 180 Grain Lead FP and 6.0 Unique. This is well within what should be acceptable.

Here are some pictures
    Name:  SD40VE1.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  26.4 KBName:  SD40VE2.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  27.0 KBName:  SD40VE3.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  17.4 KBName:  SD40VE4.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  23.4 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11819 times
    Have you shot any factory ammo in your SD40VE yet, if not you may want to try a box or two and see how it performs.
    If it does the same thing with factory ammo then I think a call to S&W Customer Service would be in order.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDLouks View Post
    Have you shot any factory ammo in your SD40VE yet, if not you may want to try a box or two and see how it performs.
    If it does the same thing with factory ammo then I think a call to S&W Customer Service would be in order.
    I shot a few JHP rounds, but I did not inspect the casings after I shot them. I really never planned to shoot much factory ammo, but I guess I should try some.

When I saw the chamfer on the barrel of the SD40VE I looked at the barrel on my 6906 and there is no chamfer. It really looks like there is not enough support for the casing on the SD40VE. Has anyone seen this or had this problem?

Member #
    Liked
    2072 times
    I am willing to bet that you wont have any trouble with factory rounds. I would re adjust your crimp on the die and try it again. When I had this problem the crimp was set too far down and it bulged my cases. Even though you couldn't see it it was just enough to cause a problem. It takes a bit of time but you will get it. I loaded about 25 test rounds to try until I was happy. My loads are pretty close to yours, I load 180gr plated bullets with 5.6gr of unique according to the sierra manual about 950fps. Let us know how it goes!
    Mike
    "A smart man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half!" -Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 71Chevrolet View Post
    I am willing to bet that you wont have any trouble with factory rounds. I would re adjust your crimp on the die and try it again. When I had this problem the crimp was set too far down and it bulged my cases. Even though you couldn't see it it was just enough to cause a problem. It takes a bit of time but you will get it. I loaded about 25 test rounds to try until I was happy. My loads are pretty close to yours, I load 180gr plated bullets with 5.6gr of unique according to the sierra manual about 950fps. Let us know how it goes!
    Mike
    I was using 180gr FP and Unique. Everything that I read indicates that a slower powder might be more reliable and consistant. I should also have some lighter bullets (155gr) in the next couple of days. I will try these.

I really don't want to use factory ammo. If the gun is not reliable with reloads, then it is not for me.

Any thoughts on the best powder to use. I have Bullseye, Unique, Herco, Power Pistol, Blue Dot, Universal, HP38, and Tight Group.

I also did some more reading and the case bulge is common. I will discuss this with S&W.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11819 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarelli View Post
    I was using 180gr FP and Unique. Everything that I read indicates that a slower powder might be more reliable and consistant. I should also have some lighter bullets (155gr) in the next couple of days. I will try these.

I really don't want to use factory ammo. If the gun is not reliable with reloads, then it is not for me.

Any thoughts on the best powder to use. I have Bullseye, Unique, Herco, Power Pistol, Blue Dot, Universal, HP38, and Tight Group.

I also did some more reading and the case bulge is common. I will discuss this with S&W.
    For both my 40 Pro Series and my 40c I use Power Pistol behind a 165 Grain Rainier Plated Bullet and had zero issues after thousands of rounds. Power Pistol burns much cleaner than Unique too.
    71Chevrolet likes this.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    2072 times
    Unique is dirty but I'm fine with it, if I was going to change power pistol would be my choice as well. As far as bullets go I prefer 180s over 155s. The heavier bullet is more rounded and feeds better for me. I do believe strongly that there is probably nothing unreliable about your gun, I think when you get your dies dialed in your problem will go away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links