+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: If you are interested in the S&W 645

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

If you are interested in the S&W 645

I have seen a lot of questions and a lot of talk recently about the 645. I recently purchased a 645. I have had Ruger P90's in the past and they have always been very accurate pistols and never any problem. But I never did like the frame and the boxy feel of them ( I didn't like an alloy frame ). I always enjoyed the feel of a 1911 but did not care for the single action, so I sold mine and went back to the P90. I had some pistol money come in so I thought I would try the S&W 645, sounded like the perfect fit for me. I ordered one off of GunBroker ( Paid way to much but got what I was looking for ) and when I received it, I was pleased. The gun fit my small hands pretty good. Felt like a 1911 ( not trying to insult the huge 1911 fans ) a was a really beauty. Solid built and heavy is exactly what you get with this gun. I took it to the range and after readjusting the sights I finally got it to shoot exactly at point of aim at 15 yards. Very good groups. Mine came with a Magna Ported barrel and slide. I like the looks of the Magna porting but can't tell a difference in the recoil, plus it allows the sights and the inside of the slide to become extremely dirty. So for this reason I found another member here that had a New Barrel and slide assembly that he sold me ( old gun smith ). I paid a reasonable price for the slide assembly and received it in about a week. After 8 rounds I had the new slide dialed in. Man this gun is everything that I hoped for. It is awesome! it is very accurate ( Not a target pistol ). Comfortable to shoot and nice slim design. I just wanted to share my experience with the 645. Here is some pictures I hope you enjoy them. Mine was built August of 1986.

By jstanfield at 2012-05-26

TBONE47, msharley, Bender and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I love it. I already want to add a 1006 and 4506 to the collection and now I want to find a decent 645 as well.

Member #
    Liked
    6308 times
    j,

Sweet looking 645. I feel your pain on the magna-port fouling. It's a bear to clean-up, especially if you shoot a few different sessions between addressing the fouling.

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    493 times
    I've always had a fondness for the 3rd gen S&W .45's. From 645's to the 4506/4566/4516. Even carried a 4506 on duty for 6yrs before the department made me turn it in. I still have a 4566 that is on HD 24/7. It an a Ruger P345 are the only .45's I own.
    TBONE47 likes this.
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11956 times
    That's a really nice looking pistol you have there. Having both slides and barrels will give you options for shooting. It sounds like you found your keeper. Mine is the S&W 669 9mm. Once I shot it I knew it was going to be my primary pistol. I have many different pistols and revolvers in my collection, but the 669 is the one I always go back to. I haven't invested in a S&W 45 pistol yet, but in time I'm sure there'll be at least one in the collection.
    Congratulations on the additions to your collection.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3491 times
    I yearn for one each time I see pics of yours. Nice to see you got the more takedown-friendly safety on your non ported slide. I don't have to wish you good luck with it, it will make all the luck you need in a .45!

Member #
    Liked
    493 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    That's a really nice looking pistol you have there. Having both slides and barrels will give you options for shooting. It sounds like you found your keeper. Mine is the S&W 669 9mm. Once I shot it I knew it was going to be my primary pistol. I have many different pistols and revolvers in my collection, but the 669 is the one I always go back to. I haven't invested in a S&W 45 pistol yet, but in time I'm sure there'll be at least one in the collection.
    Congratulations on the additions to your collection.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Awhile back I did the caliber purge. After the smoke cleared only two S&W Auto's remained, one the 4566 with decocker, and my all time favorite S&W auto the 3913 with night sights an full hammer spur.

US Army Retired 1976-1997

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Nice 645!

The 645 is why I have never really wanted a 1911.

I bought a 645 when they first came out in the mid 80s. It had the fixed rear sight, and was very accurate out of the box.

Unfortunately, I let a friend of mine talk me out of it in a moment of weakness.

I purchased another 645 a couple of years ago with the adjustable rear sight like you have on your spare slide.

Oklahoma just passed Open Carry, and now my 645 will get to see a little more daylight!

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7027 times
    Very nice S&W .45 caliber pistols!
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I agree Smithwessonokie.

Links