+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Conceal Carry Pistol (SW40VE?)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Conceal Carry Pistol (SW40VE?)

First thing I want to think everyone here for such a great resource of information; it's great to have a place that will answer questions from people who know what they are talking about. Now to my question, i just went through and received my CCW permit and am now looking to purchase a pistol to fit the bill, I was looking at the Sigma SW40VE but was concerned that it would be too large for a CCW, and if it's too big I was thinking about stepping down in caliber and going with the SW9VE but again if it's the same size as the 40 just a smaller barrel, it might be too big as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    4867 times
    Firstly, Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

The 9mm & .40 Sigmas are the exact same size. Concealability depends on you dress as much as the size of the gun. Lots of folks carry full sized duty side arms concealed every day.

One has to adjust their wardrobe to match the gun/holster combination.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2992 times
    Can't put it any better than Moondawg. If you're on a budget, I don't see a problem with your choice. Try not to skimp too much on a holster though. A pancake style holds the larger service size firearms nice and tight to your body.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    You got a ccw before you had a gun to carry? Wow! Here, if you can get one which is next to impossible, you have to qualify each with each gun, up to 3, that you are thinking about carrying.
    Anyway I personally don't think the 40 or the 9ve is a great carry gun unless you are using a shoulder holster. The Bodyguard is more of a carry gun IMO. Also maybe one of the compact glocks like the G26 or something of that nature.
    There are things to take into account like what is your size? I am 6'5" tall and I could conceal a 12 ga shotgun if i needed to. If you are 5'2" tall than a FS gun prbably is not your best option. If you are going to conceal in a handbag than whatever or are you planning on a boot gun, pocket gun etc.. Please go into a little detail so we can give you better advise than say, " get a Desert Eagle, Big Joe"
    Just a man and his jug settling an old feud
    -ME-

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've got the Sigma 9; couldn't conceal well IWB, but i'm on the slimmer side. This weekend got a Bianchi minimalist OWB (slotted for belt). Pulls tight and high to the body, conceals great! If i need to go IWB i go with my other weapon, but love this Bianchi, with button-front shirt it's perfect. (Sorry for no pix, but you can find easy enough)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    missourihunter85: Hi I just resumed my daily carry again I am 5'9" @ 240lb I carry either of my S&W M&P's in the small of my back with ease - just as a point of interest are you a member of a club or do you have access to a range to practice the reason I ask is my son just purchased an S&W 380 Bodyguard and at 30' (and 30' may be a bigger distance than most altercation's would ever be at) you will need some range time to feel comfortable with a short barrel such as the Bodyguard where with a longer Barrel you will probably be more comfortable with putting some hole's in the paper - stand in your home and extend your hand's out straight and the more movement in your hand's while in the safety of your home the longer the Barrel length you would appreciate - this is just an old fart's opinion ( YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPINION'S)about making a choice and not making a purchase you will regret later good luck with you choice whatever it may be

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2710 times
    A full framed gun is more difficult to conceal but not impossible. It did not work well for me due to my casual dress in the summertime. Which is why I went with a J frame but depending on your situation it may work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2576 times
    price and looks are attractive on the sigmas and they are a good gun. you don't have to lower the caliber to lower the size. ruger sr40c, glock 27,23 or s&w m&p 40c all 40 caliber and smaller than the sigma. best advice i can give is try everything out there until one feels right for you and you can shoot it well.

Member #
    Liked
    3376 times
    A smaller sized weapon is an advantage for CCW. I live in Mass., and that means I need a weapon that I can effectively conceal. I choose to carry a S&W M-36 (J frame) snubby, most of the time for that reason. I just need a loose fitting T-shirt to conceal it in the summer.

I also have 2 other carry revolvers, but they are K frame snubbbies, and require a cover shirt with the tails out, or a jacket. They are larger and easier to shoot well. Like most things in life.....CCW is a compromise. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    First off thanks for all the good advise, I’m looking at a Brigade holster, which seems to be a great holster for conceal carry, it a ITW holster and looks to be one of the best ones that I have looked into.
    Vector16, yeah the only gun that I had to take my class with was an old Ruger Single Six, the instructor brought a revolver and an auto feeder in case someone didn’t have one or none. Which was great because he had brought several things up during the class to look for when getting a pistol, things like if the clip falls out or if it has to be pulled out, things like that. He had the opinion that any gun is a good carry gun, I’m just not sure how accurate that was.
    I am not a member of a club, the nearest shooting range is at least an hour’s drive one way, but I can shot all day in my yard.
    I’m going to look into the M&P’s also. But again thank you all for your advise.

Links