+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: M&P 22 pistol feed problems

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

M&P 22 pistol feed problems

Hi, new to this site, please bear with me. I recently bought a smith and Wesson m&p 22 pistol. I cleaned it and took it to the range with some bulk federal ammo (lightning 40g). I had several fte's and ftf's out of 50 rounds. I cleaned the pistol again, and took it back with cci mini mags this time (Hp 36 g). The pistol worked perfectly, all 100 rounds. I then loaded some more federals, the first two were ftf's. Has anyone heard of this problem? Should I call smith and Wesson about this? I would like to fire bulk ammo, but the pistol doesn't seem to like it. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    13351 times
    Most auto feeding problems are magazine problems, I'd try a different one first. The bad news is: a lot of autos are fussy about their ammo (which is why some of us still trust our revolversw/ our lives). I've had good results from federal ammo but the slightly hotter CCI ammo might be the ticket. You can try calling S&W, their service is very good.
    gearchecker and Bender like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    3186 times
    You can also try using solids.....not hollow points. Also, be sure that you clean your mags, and the ramp on the barrel. Federal bulk and Winchester bulk ammo seems to be the best in my Ruger MK.III. Stay away from Remington .22 ammo. Semi-auto's are very picky about which ammo they like. My Ruger isn't too fussy! Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 03-07-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same problem only worse with Federal Champion ammo which I bought because it was cheap and had good reviews. The Federal ammo in my Performance Center M&P15-22 works great without any problems. Smith & Wesson specifies a bunch of ammo that won't work well in the 15-22 so I was surprised that ammo that runs well in the 15-22 was so poor in the M&P22. Tried some Wolf ammo that I had to see if it was the gun and it was flawless in the M&P22. Love the Wolf ammo but looking for something cheaper.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I haven't had feeding issues with either M&P 22s that I own and I have used different brands, including Federal, Winchester and Remington. I also lube between trips to the range.

Try not loading mags to the max until they have been broken in used for a bit. This has always worked for me with new mags that have really tight springs.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I've used CCI Blazer in my M&P22 - no problems so far.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2650 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TBONE47 View Post
    I've used CCI Blazer in my M&P22 - no problems so far.
    My go-to, general purpose round. Good in everything I have tried it in.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12991 times
    The biggest problem with the less expensive "Cheaper" ammo is the lack of consistant production results and sloppy quality control. That's the reason why it costs less. CCI costs more because they use better quality componants with tighter tolerances then the bulk ammo. If you were to get out a set of calipers and carefully measure the casing diameters and the bullet diameters on the cheaper ammo you'll find it very inconsistant and a fair amount of it will be out of tolerance from the stated specs of the given casing and bullet specs. Measure some CCI ammo and you'll find just the opposite.
    Lower cost and lower quality rifles also have sloppier tolerances in their builds. So they seem to be much more forgiving to the brand and type of ammo they'll feed. Sometimes you'll buy a cheap gun that shoots really well because it got through with much better than average tolerances. And it always come as a big surprise that they got such a great gun for so little money. It's almost like getting a Taurus pistol that shoots really well, and never breaks down (as hard as that is to believe).

The better the quality is for a particular firearm, the tighter the tolerances and the "fussier" they are about the ammo that will feed reliably. The better quality guns also shoot with noticibly greater accuracy.

Spending a little more for that M&P 22 pistol, usually means you invested to get a little higher quality pistol that you plan to shoot. Put a higher quality ammo in it, and you'll see your initial investment pay off quickly.

Ask anybody that shoots .22 caliber benchrest competitions what type of ammo they put in their guns, and they'll almost always tell you it's some of the most expensive ammo available (usually Elay or Aguila). They get exactly what they paid for, in accuracy, and trouble free performance.
    In my war chest it's roughly 75% CCI Mini Mag .22 LR ammo, because I can trust it for a trouble free range session.

Regards,
    Gregroy
    DocZeus and Charlie686 like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    The federal champions go through my semi auto hand guns and rifles like water.The winchester bulk does good to. I used to use the cci ammo exclusively for many many years and have thousands of rounds of it through my 10-22. But the price of it has became a thing of pride with cci and they reflect there pride there of with extremely high prices for it.
    I would give the winchester bulk a try and see if it works.I would do as bob says and steer clear of the remington bulk.It wont cycle any thing i own in semi auto with regularity and miss fires a lot.
    Your just going to have to experiment a lot and see what works and retry some of the ammo later on as the gun breaks in some may start working in it. Some semi autos refuse to fire certain ammo and never do and some one with the exact model can fire ammo it cant.Semi autos can be like getting a little kid to eat there veggies especialy when they are brand new.
    gearchecker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    have you polished the feed ramp?...it will help with the feeding problem... after 500 rounds see what works the best and buy in bulk...
    1 old 0311 and neverenough like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links