+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 356 ts&w

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

356 ts&w

In 1992, I purchased what, at the time, was a Lew Horton special run of what was a copy of the "shorty forty" except in caliber .356 TS&W (9 x 21 1/2 I believe). The .356 was expected to fill a niche but was soon pushed aside by similar calibers, such as the .357 Sig. The pistol is a performance center model with a spherical bushing, among other enhancements. I have never fired it and have about 8 boxes of cor-bon ammunition, as well as some Federal ammunition. I have been unable to find ammo for years (Cor Bon used to make special runs but haven't done so recently) and I'm considering a re-barrel to 9mm. Anyone have any thoughts on leaving it as is, versus re-barrelling it and shooting it?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Sounds like an interesting pistol/round.

I would suggest you do two things. Contact the performance center to see about cost of a re-barrel and also post it for sale in a few places like Gun Broker and see if it generates any interest. You'll at least be able to see what the market will bear.

If it has any sentimental value, I would keep it no matter whether you re-barrel or keep it as stock. One other question would be, can you get supplies to reload that round? That might bring another option into the mix.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum

Dave

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13252 times
    Welcome to the forum.
    What's the model number of your pistol? I'm not familiar with the round either. So I'mdoing a little research on it.
    I just looked up some sales info on the ammo. WOW $80 for a box of 50 rounds.
    That's almost as bad as buying a box of .22 Jet. Seems that re-barreling it might be a pretty sound choice.
    Another option would be to get a different barrel for your pistol in a more common caliber.
    You'll be able to keep the original barrel for the sake of collectors value.

Good luck.
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    There are folks who carry that and would likely be interested in buying it & your ammo. Ammoman had cases of ammo a few years back, but I believe it was sold out.

As I understand things: S&W developed the round & pistols for it, and their team used it in the US version of IPSC. It made major caliber, in an accurate single action pistol with twenty round mags. (Read: big threat to single stack 1911/45's.) This upset the folks running that sport, who then changed the rules to make this round a minor caliber. Whatever else happened after that, civilian sales didn't take off, and the round & pistols are no longer made.

If good carry ammo was being made at decent prices, I'd look to convert my Smith 9X19's.

And I believe S&W has been able to assist others with conversions of 356 TSW to 9X19.
    John. Which group of heros, from centuries ago, is associated with this saying: "First into battle and last out"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6044 times
    I'd sell it to a "collector" for a pretty penny, buy whatever you like, have a nice dinner with the Mrs., and waste the rest on ammo........

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the suggestions! It's a shame since the caliber actually had some merits. The pistol does have some sentimental value so I'd like to keep it while, at the same time, would enjoy shooting it rather than having a wall hanger! As fa r as the model number, I'm not sure one was assigned. Similar to the shorty-forty it was a Lew Horton run and might have had an SKU but I can't actually locate a model number!

Links