Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Looking for a .22 pistol, whats your 2 cents?

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  prsabordo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, i am looking at investing in a .22 pistol for fun plinking purposes and for teaching new shooters like my mom and cousins. I am looking for a gun that is reliable, durable, ergonomic, and easy to find parts/upgrades. I know it's a S&W forum, my apologies, but i am looking at two guns in particular, the S&W 22A or the Ruger 22/45. What does everyone think about these guns? I don't want to spend $400-500, being a poor college student, on a 22 pistol like those Brownings and Sigs, so if there are any other suggestions, preferably under $300, please don't hesitate. I am also ok with either new or used.

#3 ·
A Browning Buckmark camper can be had new for less than $300. Rugers are solid guns, slightly tricky to reassemble after total takedown. I speak of the Mark 3. Both accurate shooters. Used market, a number good quality guns can be had of every brand.

Suggest a bit longer barrel, five inches or longer. This will be easier for novices to shoot.

Dart

#5 ·
Other than the Ruger (with little experience) I can only comment on the S&W 22A. Best feature: great price. It is also alot of reliable fun if you get the right ammo (no hollow points). Easy to use. Wish the sights contrasted (both fron and rear are same color black).

Easy to mount optics, if that's what you want to do.

Overall, a great choice for the money. I bought mine for $225 without regrets.

Arty

G
#8 ·
I have about a dozen .22s at my disposal, and for a fun walk in the hills will always opt for a 6" Smith #17 or better #48(same but .22 mag). I do not know why, but those are the favorites even though I have quite a few others.

Willie

#9 ·
You Can't Go Wrong with the Browning Buckmark

I have two Buckmarks, one four inch with stainless bull barrel and one six inch with a matte black barrel. Sorry, I don't have pictures of these two right now but I will say they are extremely accurate and very reasonably priced.

I know you said pistol, but you can never go wrong with the S&W 617 .22 revolvers. I have the six shot and the ten shot and they are so much fun to shoot. Here's a picture of the six shot 617 - in a six inch barrel and a beautiful Kingwood Hogue finger-grooved grip.

#10 ·
Yea those revolvers are really awesome, but are really out of my poor college student price range. By my further research, i am leaning towards the ruger 22/45, but idk yet since i have only been able to shoot the buck mark. Has anyone else had experience with the Beretta neos? Also located in southern California, its hard to find any of these guns for under 250.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Went out this weekend with family, and my brother-in-law's brother-in-law had a Browning .22LR target pistol. It was fun to shoot at 10 yards, he was putting the rounds in the 10 ring almost every time. So naturally, I had to put 6 from my 38 in there too.

I had a target setup at 25 yards to help with some sighting issues with my Winchester 30-30, and decided to fire off some of my .38 reloads at it. Not exactly all in the 10 ring, but they were on target and 'killed' it. So naturally, guys being guys, my brother-in-law-in-law had to try. He was all over the place.

Is this common with 22 pistols? Good at close range, useless at longer ranges? Or is he just a bad shot?

I'm asking both for my own information, and to help with expectations for anyone else thinking of buying one.

#14 ·
i think it was shooter error/skill. When i went shooting with the Buck Mark, my younger brother was hitting a do all outdoor spinner target from 80yrds, granted it took him a few shots. Heres a vid i found of a guy and his son shooting their Ruger 22/45 @100yrd target and connecting.
YouTube - ‪Shooting .22 Pistols at 100 yds‬‏

Just tell your brother in law in law to work on his grip and trigger pull. It takes lots of practice and patience, hope this helps.

#15 ·
19and41, i saw that Walther you posted and i really like it. Thing is i can't find one here locally in southern California, I'll keep trying but that gun looks sweet. I'm just curious though how strong are those bolt cocking levers, it looks like they might be put under strain from extended use and the plastic levers might break.

#16 · (Edited)
I also vote Ruger Mk 1, 2, 3, ect....

For a few dollars a proper sear & trigger can be installed that will make you a good shot!

Lots of different types of "stuff" out there that can be used to customize a Ruger if that is what you desire. Oh, and like most of the guns mentioned already, they go boom when you pull the trigger.

RE: cleaning....strip it once or twice...it's a breeze. Don't be talked out of Ruger because it's "hard to clean"....you just have to do it couple times and it's easy as pie.

Try stripping a Buckmark sometime! It's not designed to to be taken apart.

Bob

#17 ·
The plastic portions look like they should not be stressed very much they appear to be relatively flat to their attachment points. I remember the Remington nylon series cocking handles and their breakage problems, but they had an extended portion at a right angle to the bolt. That was an achilles heel.

#18 ·
Just found out, the Walther SP 22 is not available for sale in California. That sucks because i was really interested in this gun, freaking California laws. I also just recently heard that the open carry ban bill passed the senate floor here. Anyways i guess i'll still be looking into the S&W 22A, Ruger 22/45, Browning Buck Mark, and even the Beretta Neos (even though i don't like the looks of it).

#19 ·
Time to move to Phoenix prsabordo!! You can buy just about anything not fully-automatic here with cash and a driver's license. Then take it out in the desert to a nice, safe spot and shoot it all you want!

Someday, I'm going to get a CCW permit so I don't even have to fill out paperwork and wait for them to make the 10 minute call! :cool:

#20 ·
The Ruger MK1,2,3's are all great guns ; so are the Browning Buckmarks. The Wather P22 is another decent one. You won't go wrong w/ any of those. I've had a few of each over the years & kept a couple of them but I'm still partial to revolvers.
John, barrel length has nothing to do w/ accuracy. A handgun has a shorter distance between the sights & any error while aiming is less likely to be noticed & a rifle is easier to hold steady. A handgun with it's shorter barrel will have a little less velocity & therefore drop quicker but even a 2" barrel is plenty long enough to stabilize a bullet. Holding it steady is up to the shooter. 6" groups @ 100 yards w/ a good handgun isn't really that hard to accomplish. Some day if us 'Zonies' get together like we've been threatening to do & you'll be surprised how easy it is @ distances you did't think possible.

#21 ·
#22 ·
19and41, i don't know the differences between the two other than the extra two inches of barrel length on the CA version. It says the SP22 M2 CA version is available for sale in CA on the CA DOJ list (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp), but on the Walther website it says that it isn't available. I am going to go into my local gun shops tomoro and see what information i can get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.