+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M&P 40c problem

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

M&P 40c problem

Hi, new here, and I'm having a slight issue with my M&P 40c I bought a few months ago.

After about a month, I was having issues with the mag disconnecting/falling out after the shot (recoil causing the magazine catch to release the mag). After inspection you could see a little deformation of the corner of the metal piece on the magazine catch. I emailed S&W and promptly received a replacement magazine catch and installed it which fixed the issue for about 45-50 rounds. It just started doing it again yesterday. I can shoot a couple shots and about every other or every third shot the mag disconnects causing the mag to release and not feed another round.

Anyone else having problems like this?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11743 times
    I have an M&P 40c and have fired over 500 rounds through it and have not had any issues with the magazine disconnecting. I do know that when using the 10 round magazine I give it a pretty good rap on the bottom with the palm of my hand to make sure it is seated. (when the slide is closed) I have found that if you just try to push a full magazine in it will not fully engage the catch.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    3056 times
    RD has a good suggestion. I've had a similar problem with my Ruger MK III pistol. You've got to slam the mag in! (in my case...for it to feed the first round)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The mag always gets a good rap on the bottom to seat it prior to firing. Like I said, it just started happening again, and you can visually see the mark on the magazine catch. It's just kind of odd that this is the 2nd magazine catch it has happened to.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11743 times
    With this being a 40c, you aren't inadvertently touching the mag release with your index finger when you are gripping it, and when it fires maybe pushing the release just a little. My hands are kind of large so I sometimes (when I am using the 10 round magazine) crowding the release just a little.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDLouks View Post
    With this being a 40c, you aren't inadvertently touching the mag release with your index finger when you are gripping it, and when it fires maybe pushing the release just a little. My hands are kind of large so I sometimes (when I am using the 10 round magazine) crowding the release just a little.
    No sir.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11743 times
    Does it happen with both magazines? I removed the mag release in mine and looked it over very carefully and do not see any type of wear or distortion. Both my Son and I have a 40c and are not having the problem. I would call S&W back and explain the situation and see if they have any suggestions. The only thing that is different with mine is seeing that I am left handed I reversed my release, but my Son is right handed so his in the original position. On more thing that we do is I have two 15 round magazines (for the full size M&P's) with the spacer installed. We use these most of the time at the range, but use the 10 round too.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've had it happen to more than one magazine now. I'll pull the mag catch tonight and try to snap a pic or two.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11743 times
    One thing came to mind the other day, if the magazine release spring is bent or weak it will not fully engage or hold the catch. Call S&W and have them send you a new magazine catch and spring. Also confirm that there is nothing in the frame that is blocking the catch to fully engage the magazine.

Ray

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDLouks View Post
    One thing came to mind the other day, if the magazine release spring is bent or weak it will not fully engage or hold the catch. Call S&W and have them send you a new magazine catch and spring. Also confirm that there is nothing in the frame that is blocking the catch to fully engage the magazine.

Ray
    I'll have to do that...that was going to be my next step. Thanks for the advice guys!

Links