+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times

Short Barreled 45s

In another thread (about 3 1/2" M27s) I asked when the short barreled 45 thread was going to appear. Well, why not now?

Here is mine, I have written about it previously, so in a nutshell, this started out as a M28-2, rebored and rifled by Dick Nickel, new cylinder, frame lug and round butt by me. This is my rig and the way it is carried.

I have another set of grips cut for it but no new photo.

Let's see yours!!
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Mr. Hat,
    That is a fine-looking .45acp conversion & holster rig!

Were you nervous at all about grinding away on the backstrap?

Looking forward to seeing the custom RB grips!

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    2777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xtimberman View Post
    Mr. Hat,

xtm

+1. That does take guts, but looks like it turned out great.

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xtimberman View Post
    Mr. Hat,

xtm
    Nervous? Not really, young and dumb better describes those days. I had a pair of grips from a round butt K frame and placed them on the revovler. I scribed around them and then used a file to remove what was excess until it felt good in my hand. I later had a set of grips from one of the Lou Horton M29s and put them on, I had to remove a bit more to get them to fit.

In retrospect, I prefer square butted revolvers and perhaps wish I had not been so hasty with the file. The upside is, I can make grips to approximate the SB feel.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 05-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    1950 Target 45 with a rare 5-inch barrel. One of eight shipped to H. H. Harris in 1960 and a 1955 Target 45 with a rare 4-inch barrel that was built by S&W for Remington from a 1950 Target 45 in 1955 (it has "period correct" type stocks by Keith Brown) and is a great shooter with both 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim ammunition.

Bill

Last edited by Doc44; 05-07-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Member #
    The Great Smoky Mountains, Knoxville, Tennessee
    Liked
    327 times

Lightbulb

Hello Kevin
    Great thread short barreled S&W 45 revolver's are scarce in any form, whether factory made or Transformed ones. Just into the New Year I stopped off at one of the local gun shops in my area and came across a Model of 1955 Pre-25 as shown. It was offered to me at a very Modest price and appeared to have The Three T-Option. I noticed it's barrel appeared to be a little short, so I measured it prior to buying it. it showed to have a barrel length of 5-7/8" not a 6-1/2" Barrel which was standard on Five screw Pre-25's back then. I was told it was a one owner gun. I noticed that even though it had a shorter than normal barrel, it did not appear to have it's Barrel Pin molested indicating a possible barrel change. I had been looking for a .45 that was a Good shooter and the shop owner and I are good friends and he shared with me that this guns previous owner told him that it was scary accurate, and this is just what I wanted to hear.

At the Modest price that it was offered, that was good enough for me, so home it came. I promptly contacted forum member Doc 44 as I place him high on my list for accurate S&W Knowledge and selected him as my Go to guy with my questions, as I can think of no one other than Roy Jinks that knows more about S&Ws than Bill Cross does. I asked him if he thought that this gun may have come with the shorter 5-7/8" Barrel ? I shared with him that the barrel is Not serial number stamped in it's extractor recess area, but that it's barrel pin looked to be not molested in any way or form which might indicate a Possible barrel swap at some time in it's life. We looked closer at the Barrel stamps and noticed that due to the size of the ampersand and format Height of the Smith & Wesson factory company name stamp, that it indicated that they were from the Later 1950s to early 1960s time frame, yet the frame had the Older Mid 1950s ampersand stamp on it. This left me more confused and thinking a barrel change was more evident here due to the features of the barrel compared to the frame.

I then had it dated and it shipped Late for a Five screw example being April of 1959. That May or may not explain why the barrel has the later ampersand on it along with the different format dimension height and looks of the Factory Smith & Wesson barrel stamping, as these stamping features did change just before this gun would have shipped. The Hammer is full Target along with the Trigger and the gun was wearing the Target stocks shown on it when I bought it, and all of these Options concur with a Gun made in the late 1950s time span as the stocks are Not coke profile and are made of walnut, and I have no reason to believe that any of these parts have been switched or tampered with.

Oddly, in 1959 there was a dozen Guns that shipped to Rex Firearms in New York City back in that time span that this gun shipped and those all had the very rare shorter 5" Barrels on them. This guns serial number falls very close to those guns but it is not one of them as it has a 5-7/8" Barrel on it not a 5" Barrel, but all of the Other Characteristics of the gun fall into place of those specil order Rex Firearms guns that were made back then, as the later stampings on the barrel and the period correct Three T-Options show to be, but I seriously doubt it is one of that group of special Dozen built guns from that 1959 time span.

I worked up a hand load for it and it showed to be a True Tack driver, just as my Gun shop Buddy had told it to be. At this time I have not Factory lettered the gun, and am still very skeptical whether or not the barrel has been changed out on it, which In Essence really does not matter to me as it was bought to shoot and enjoy, not sit in the safe ad a collectible, of which it is not as it shows some mild shooter wear so it really does not matter to me whether it shipped with this exact barrel on it or if it has been back to the factory for a barrel replacement as I Like the looks, performance and feel of this guns shorter barrel a lot better than the standard 6-1/2" Versions and the bottom line is I have less than Half of what these Model of 1955 Target .45s are currently bringing these days...Here are some recent pictures of it showing the 6 shot group it produced with my hand loads at the range. I have swapped out the original stocks that it came with for a set of original earlier Non Relieved factory diamond stocks made of Gancalo-Alves wood that I had on hand... Hammerdown

N.R.A. Certified Range Officer
    N.R.A. Certified Handgun Instructor
    S&WCA #1682
    NRA Member

" Envy is the underlying Root of all Evil, and one of the worst of the Seven Deadly Sin's "

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    So far a couple of beautiful revolvers. Almost shames me to have them threaded alongside my old frankenpiece.

I started this thread hoping to see some of the less than four inch 45s but am glad it did not necessarily go that way. I never knew of 5" barreled ones so learning about them is a plus. Thank you Doc44, (shouldn't that be Doc45?)

Kurt, I was aware S&W produced a nominal 6" barrelled revolver, I was looking for one when I competed in PPC. Never found one at that time and only hae seen a couple since then. Care to share the load info?

Let's keep this one going and see what other oddities, shorties and etc. is out there.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 05-15-2014 at 03:53 PM.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I have one of those short barrel 45acp revolvers. It is a 625-3.

Member #
    The Great Smoky Mountains, Knoxville, Tennessee
    Liked
    327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    So far a couple of beautiful revolvers. Almost shames me to have them threaded alongside my old frankenpiece.

I started this thread hoping to see some of the less than four inch 45s but am glad it did not necessarily go that way. I never knew of 5" barreled ones so learning about them is a plus. Thank you Doc44, (shouldn't that be Doc45?)

Kurt, I was aware S&W produced a nominal 6" barrelled revovler, I was looking for one when I competed in PPC. Never found one at that time and only hae seen a couple since then. Care to share the load info?

Let's keep this one going and see what other oddities, shorties and etc. is out there.
    Hello Kevin
    The Load I have chosen as the staple load for my 45 now is 4.0 Grains of # 5 Accurate Arms Powder under a 200 Grain Rainier Semi wad cutter bullet and standard Winchester large pistol primer. It is Not a maximum load for this powder in this cartridge but up there... Hammerdown
    N.R.A. Certified Range Officer
    N.R.A. Certified Handgun Instructor
    S&WCA #1682
    NRA Member

" Envy is the underlying Root of all Evil, and one of the worst of the Seven Deadly Sin's "

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    East Valley, east of Phoenix, AZ. and Sometimes, New Mexico
    Liked
    5372 times

I've posted these pictures before another thread about modified 1917's.

I really like short barreled revolvers (especially heavy calibers).

I also have a 3 3/4" Sheriff's Model Colt clone (Uberti) in .45 LC, but that's a whole nuther subject.

Regards,

Geezer

Links