RARE 329PD Alaska Backpacker III?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By cjlwbl
  • 1 Post By Wiregrassguy
  • 1 Post By RdrBill

Thread: RARE 329PD Alaska Backpacker III?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

RARE 329PD Alaska Backpacker III?

Hello All,
    I am new to the forum. I am seeking information on a S&W 329PD Alaska Backpacker III, .44 magnum, Scandium frame, Titanium cylinder, 4" barrel. This particular firearm that I have has the engraved bear scene on the right side of the frame and "Alaska Backpacker III" on the right side of the barrel. It is not the more common version with the engraved "Atom".

I contacted S&W and gave them the serial and was told that they are quite rare and there were only 249 of these pistols made. They gave me a date of manufacture of 09/16/2003 for my revolver. I purchased this revolver on July 29, 2004 in Eagle River, Alaska from Boondocks Sporting Goods. Has anyone ever run across these models and does anyone know the history of why only 249 were made. I am trying to get a value for insurance purposes but I have no idea where to start. Even the representative at S&W had never seen or heard of one of these one of these and she was unable to find it mentioned in the latest (3rd) edition of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson which really surprised her, since it includes models made up to 2006. I sent them some pictures and they seemed very pleased to see one. I will probably get an authentication letter from S&W and then get the history but I wanted to query the forum first. Any information from the experts would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    hogg, jeepnut, Bob K and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25735 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass! There is now a 4th Edition and it does not appear in it either. What's the product code from the box?
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20420 times
    Look at the tag on the fired cartridge envelope. It'll probably tell you more than the letter from the S&W historian.
    It's a modern revolver with a lock on it. It won't have much collectors value,other than for those in Alaska that can link it to something in their lifetime.
    Around here you would have a $900-1000 gun. You might get another $50 for the 2nd set of grips.

The value of this will solely be based on who want's it, and how much they're willing to pay for it.

BTW, Nice lead sled, and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by gearchecker; 01-11-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11442 times
    That particular revolver is not in the 3rd edition but the 3rd edition does talk about the Model 329PD. I gave you the page reference on the other thread you started about this revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for the welcome, The product code is 149641

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I did see that, thanks K22, and thank you for the welcome to the forum also

Member #
    Liked
    25735 times
    The product code is 149641
    That product code is not listed in the 4th Edition. However, the product code for the 2-1/2" Alaska Backpacker IV is 150545. Version IV has a laser etched outline of the state on the sideplate. Value in excellent condition is $750 for any of the 329PD's.
    jeepnut likes this.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11442 times
    They did ship with the Ahrends finger groove wood grips and an extra Hogue square butt rubber grip according to Ed #3.

Member #
    Liked
    5410 times
    They made 249 based on predicted supply and demand. Folks from ARIZONA probably won't buy a gun labeled ALASKA. Same idea applies to the other states. Are there 249 folks in Alaska that want a 44 Magnum that has no weight to absorb recoil?
    I had a 329 with much shorter barrel. I did not consider it a useful gun. Too much recoil, 44 Special was better, but still stout.
    S&W makes limited runs of guns and yours is a niche gun within the run of 329's. It will develop collector value, but it will take time.
    Low productions numbers lead to rarity, but that does not lead to high value.
    Keep it and use it gently, it will appreciate in value with time.
    Bill@Yuma
    Last edited by RdrBill; 01-12-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    Wiregrassguy likes this.

Links