+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

.22 WMR Magnum in a M53 .22 Jet?

I found some reasonably priced spare .22 RF inserts and I'm considering boring them out from .223 to .246 (+ clearance) to fire .22 magnums. I'm a reasonably experienced hobby machinist with a good accurate old South bend 9" lathe.

Making them from scratch would be rather challenging but I believe I can bore out some original inserts accurately. By the way, I know there are some real bad quality after-market inserts out there. These are S&W made.

I have to believe this has been tried many times before. Does anyone have experience with this or know of it being done successfully?
    Properly cared for, a good gun will last a lifetime, and several more as well!

Member #
    Liked
    7684 times

Re: .22 WMR Magnum in a M53 .22 Jet?

Quote Originally Posted by jamo002
    I found some reasonably priced spare .22 RF inserts
    I didn't think there was such a thing
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    73 times

Mick, there was a handful on Gunbroker recently... I already had a few extras so I passed on them... were around $25 when last I looked.

About the only good thing I can say about this conversion is that shooting the resulting conversion would be a little cheaper than firing the .22 Magnum Center Fire, aka "The Jet".

Last box I saw for sale on the open market was from the last Remington run in the 80's... fella wanted $150 a box!
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

I believe that I would stick with centerfire and go the case-forming route, instead - by ordering the expensive dies from RCBS. There is no shortage of the parent case, and I understand that the .22 Jet is an awesome cartridge to reload.

I'm a devotee of the .22WMR, but the M-53 .22LR insert idea has always struck me as a big PITA and useful only in a dire emergency - like when your wallet runs out of money from buying .22 Jet ammo....

...also, Buffalo Arms says that they have P-P brass for sale. I've paid a whole lot more than this for oddball brass...
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7330.html

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Thanks for the lead on Buffalo Arms brass xtimberman. I'm going to order some when I finish this post. I have a set of old Herters loading dies. I always figured I could just lube up some .357 and run it through the sizer and then fireform the brass but buying new brass would be a whole lot easier. The .357 would probably stick in the sizing die anyhow.

I do however see a value in shooting .22Magnum in the M-53 and that is the incredible muzzle blast from the Jet. Have you ever fired one with Remington Ammo? It has to be experienced to believe. Got to wonder what kind of powder Remington used.

I may have answered my own question on the inserts by reading the 3rd Edition of the "Standard Catalog of S&W" by Jim Supica & Richard Nahas. The authors tried boring out a quantity of inserts and found the .22Mag cases bulged and stuck in the inserts and sometimes split the inserts too.

I can see several possible causes such as the smoothness of the inside of the bored out insert and the obvious choice of the bore dimension and, of course S&W's choice of the outside dimensions of the inserts themselves. I have read reports of after-market inserts splitting with .22LR.

Then there is the obvious question of why do this in the first place? Why not just load some light jet loads or, BETTER YET, buy a nice old S&W M-48? Whoa, I need another S&W!

Hold on, EVEN BETTER YET, buy the M-48 AND modify the inserts too. Why do they climb Mt. Everest, because it's there!
    Properly cared for, a good gun will last a lifetime, and several more as well!

Member #
    Liked
    73 times

Now That's The Spirit! You sound like my kinda "gun crank" as Lee Echols used to say!
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Links