Like Tree324Likes

Thread: Meet my first N frame; a Model 28-2

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11900 times

Meet my first N frame; a Model 28-2

This isn't the actual revolver but it will look a lot like it. A 1962 Model 28-2. Mirror bore, excellent grips (but not matched to revolver), 4" barrel. I find I like the 4" barrel more and more. On line purchase through GunsInternational. Can't wait. Photos and range report within ten days hopefully.

I have the Magna's not the target stocks. I'm already researching Altamont.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by K22 View Post
    This isn't the actual revolver but it will look a lot like it. A 1962 Model 28-2. Mirror bore, excellent grips (but not matched to revolver), 4" barrel. I find I like the 4" barrel more and more. On line purchase through GunsInternational. Can't wait. Photos and range report within ten days hopefully.

I have the Magna's not the target stocks. I'm already researching Altamont.
    Welcome to the Highway Patrolman clan....the 4" HP's are true classics....took me awhile, but I finally ran across one.....congratulations to you. Name:  IMG_20160522_164022626.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  2.71 MB
    Last edited by riverrat; 06-21-2016 at 11:17 PM.
    I'm not anti-social....I'm selectively social....there's a difference!

Member #
    Liked
    22144 times
    Your first N frame ??

Seems to me that you got some catching up to do ........

Regards
    George
    riverrat, timetripper, K22 and 6 others like this.
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20582 times
    I may have a really nice set of stocks for this new 28 of yours.
    Shoot me a PM if you might be interested. If not, that's Okay too.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    5296 times
    I don't have a 28 anymore, but I think they are among S&W's best looking revolvers, especially with the 4" barrel.

They just look like "serious business." The target grips make them look even more so.

And those both fit the bill. Fine revolvers, both of them.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    21213 times
    ALLRIGHT K-22! - All the worthy praise of the Highway Patrolman has already been bandied about on this form, it would be hard to come up with higher praise, so I won't. But this big old N-frame was meant to be used and not collected.

I found this old picture of this 5-screw, pre model-28 - 4-inch barrel Highway Patrolman wearing diamond target grips . . .You'll have to excuse the Colt Combat Commander for sneaking into the picture, its such a show-off, but whad-da ya gonna do; it-sa Colt vs S&W thing.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22574 times
    Good for you, K22...............enjoy it in good health.

My NYSP 28 is a mainstay part of the stable. To me, the N Frame .357 is the most pleasant handgun of that caliber to shoot.....

Name:  S&Wmodel28NYSP-AZbuckle_BrnRig_01.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  3.70 MB

Best Regards,

Geezer
    K22, Triplelock, riverrat and 16 others like this.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11900 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplelock View Post
    ALLRIGHT K-22! - All the worthy praise of the Highway Patrolman has already been bandied about on this form, it would be hard to come up with higher praise, so I won't. But this big old N-frame was meant to be used and not collected.

I found this old picture of this 5-screw, pre model-28 - 4-inch barrel Highway Patrolman wearing diamond target grips . . .You'll have to excuse the Colt Combat Commander for sneaking into the picture, its such a show-off, but whad-da ya gonna do; it-sa Colt vs S&W thing.

Never fear Triplelock my Smiths are all shooters. I am really looking forward to shooting the Model 28. I've never fired an "N" frame. When shooting a .357 my Model 60 bites my hand, the Model 19 handles them fine but I worry about the forcing cone. The 28 is a brute and I'm going to get a lot of practice on it.

Member #
    Liked
    4206 times
    Perfect model for your first N Frame. If a Model 28 doesn't convince you that you need more you're beyond help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11900 times
    Well I did some research over the weekend and it seemed to be a weekend for buying a Model 28. One was offered for sale on the other sight, one was up for sale in an auction about 40 miles from me (I sent the wife, ) and there were a number of new offers that populated GunsInternational. The prices ranged from $549 to $800. The $800 was from the one at the local auction. The wife got one bid in ($650) before the bidding left her in the dust. Based on this weekend as a sample the price range for a 28-2 seems to be in the $650 and up; many over $1,000. I got mine for $650. I didn't like the fact the grips didn't match but I'm not getting it as a collector rather as a shooter.

I've watched lots of you tubes and there is a lot of love out there for the Model 28. Can't wait to see for myself.

Smith and Wesson Model 28; made between 1954 and 1986.

1954-1957 - The Highway Patrolman
    1957-1960 - Model 28
    1960-1961 - Model 28-1
    1961-1982 - Model 28-2
    1982-1986 - Model 28-3.

Now I understand why there are so many 28-2's out there. The "N" prefix started in 1969. I picked my revolver because it was the oldest that I knew of that were available. It is a 1962 vintage. 1962 was a very good year for me. We won the conference football championship, I got my drivers license and I started going steady with a cheerleader. Now I can add a S&W Model 28 to that year of good memories.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links