Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cedarswamp

Thread: Need advice on 629 Classic Hunter

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Need advice on 629 Classic Hunter

Hello All,

I have a 629 8-3/8, Classic Hunter with the Unfluted cylinder, purchased it new back in 1990. I still have the orignal box, papers and unopened cleaning kit that came with the gun. The gun rates in 95-98% condition. I also have a no-tap b-square mount and rings for the model.

I am contemplating trading the gun for a model 29 classic 4'' barrel (remake) that appears to be in approx 95-98% condition as well. Price tag on the 29 is about $670. Not sure what the trade in value will be, my guess is somewhere around $500. I am not sure of the value of my Classic Hunter. I rarely see them for sale but haven't checked much. Also, does anybody know how many of the 8 3/8 Unfluted Classic Hunters were made?

My reason for getting rid of the Classic Hunter is that I've never liked the balance of the 8 3/8 and I fell in love with the 29. I like the gun store and want them to make a profit, but then again, I dont want to help pay for their second store.

Hope it makes sense. Thanks in adavance for the help!

Cedar
    HerbyJr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3218 times

Re: Need advice on 629 Classic Hunter

Cedar, Just an opinion, but you would be much better off selling the long barreled 629 in the classified. There are alot (well....some) that hold these as very desirable. If you hook up with one of these people, you will get alot more $$$.

The usual trade in at a shop is 50% of what it's worth. That's not a good deal in anyone's book.........except the shop owner's. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I agree with Bob that you could sell it for more than trade and someone like me would want it for it being a Classic Hunter. Unfortunatelly I would not be able go for it my self. I'd make an offer if I could.

I have a 6" CH 629-1, I wouldn't sell it for less than $1K, but that's me, it's my all time woods carry since '89. Actually I will not ever sell it.

I wouldn't go out there with out it, well unless I had two other ones. If I had one other one on I would still have this one on.

It is it's name sake, I took a 8 pt. Whitetall at 90 yards with mine.

I've seen 6"rs for $600 to $900 on GB. I know the -1s were limited to 3000 made in the 3 lengths made. Then they reintroduced them as -2, not sure in what quantities.

Dave

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry for late reply. I've been through a similiar experience where I bought a used 629 8 5/8" from a S&W demo program. It was at an indoor range and the gun looked used. I questioned the rep about it and he suggested I shoot it to determine what effect that had. I put a handful of full blown mags through it and was quite impressed with the accuracy. I took it home and put a wide range of mags and specials through it, all with tight groups. I did find that while feeding my ego well, it really wasn't an easy range gun to put a lot of rounds through it. I then found a Taurus 431 5 round .44Sp with a 4" barrel. That proved to be a very nice indoor range gun but just didn't have the built in quality of the 629. I looked at 29's and Mountain Guns as a replacement. Through a special one-time purchase, I was able to get a 29 Classic 4" direct from S&W. That confidence building "glow" came back very quickly. It's accuracy seems to match the longer version but is easier to manage at the range. I sold the Taurus and thought about doing the same with the long 629 but decided against that. I mounted a red dot sight and found that steel targets at 50 yards was not a stretch at all. It's been relegated to a special niche but still fun to shoot and one of those that I know I would be including comments of "regret" in discussions if I ever sold it. When I was shopping the 29 Classic, availability was an issue and so was price. Cabela's seemed to have one in inventory somwhere and with tax and inter-store shipping was over $900 new. Gunbroker had them cheaper but combined purchase, shipping, and FFL fees typically was over $800. So, bottom line if you haven't already, $670 isn't bad if you've seen the piece. As others have mentioned, don't trade the long 629 as you'll lose a bunch of $$ and I'll add, keep them both. The long 629 might not get as much use but will still work well when you do and you'll never get another for what you have in that one.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Keep it or you will be sorry you didnt

Links