Smith And Wesson Forums banner

model 17-3 cylinder replacement

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  VeloGuy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and also new to S&W. For a long time I wanted a .22LR Smith. I found one at a LGS last week, and I got it. It is a 17-3. The frame is in perfect shape, the problem is the cylinder has a little pitting-very little. I decided can not live with it. My options-so far-are:
1. find a replacement blue cylinder-can not locate one yet
2. replace it with a SS cylinder available at Brownells
3. have the existing cylinder re-blued
I am planning on shooting it, don't need a safe queen. I know I should maybe leave it the way it is, but it bothers me...I am in Southern California.
I need your input in finding the best solution!

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I went back to LGS and asked them to look again at the gun (still in jail...grrr), and did not seem bad at all this time. The guy cleaned it up a little and it barely shows. You will have to look for it. I can definitively live with that. What can I use once I get the gun to keep it from growing? I got a jar of Renaissance Wax, is it any good? Or should I just oil it?

#5 ·
Some 0000-steal wool and oil will slow and sometime stop the rust. But if the pitting is bad, you will need to replace it or have it refinished. Myself I would clean it up, put a few coats of the Renaissance wax on it, and take it out and shoot the snot out of it. But If it bothers you that much, maybe you should just sell it and look for another one. But you do have this one in hand, and I have heard of the buying and selling of guns in California. Good Luck, maybe you can post some pictures of your gun......Ray

P.S. if you use the steal wool, ask folks here for advice using this method, if you don't know how....

#7 ·
Bigman, you are right about California and finding the gun you want when you want it...it just doesn't happen. It ain't on California approved handgun list BS, only chance is through PPT-consignment guns.

I will get some bronze wool 0000 and oil and get to work. I think the idea is to apply almost no pressure, use a circular motion, and not spend too much time in one spot only.

Any other tips? I will post pictures as soon as I get it next week. Can't wait to get my first S&W ! ! ! Is it Tue yet?!?

#8 ·
Look for some Blue Wonder cleaner at a local gunshop. It will remove rust without affecting the bluing...no need to use wool on the finish. Once you get the rust off the gun, you can wipe it down with gun oil and spray it with silicon spray. Or, Ren Wax it. BW cleaner is also good to get the powder residue off the face of the cylinder after you shoot it. Another product I use is Strike Hold. Use BW cleaner to remove the rust, then spray the gun completely inside and out with auto parts cleaner (brake or carb cleaner). Once that dries, apply Strike Hold per the bottle instructions. It dries to a hydrophobic finish that bonds with the metal and repels carbon. If you use it, you can just wipe down the barrel and cylinder with clean gun or shop towels as the powder residue does not adhere to the metal. You also don't need any gun oil with Strike Hold as it is a fine dry lubricant.

Reactions: VeloGuy
#9 ·
Wiregrassguy, I just purchased a tube of Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner from their website. Once I get my gun, I will let you all know how it went. I will also post pictures. Thank you all for your input, your experience and knowledge is highly appreciated.

#11 · (Edited)
I went to the range last weekend and wow this is way more accurate than I am. 150 rounds (CCI Blazer) with zero failure. Love it!

I was able to locate a NOS blue model 17 cylinder, and a mint rear sight assembly. I replaced the rusted sight with the new one. The new cylinder I am going to keep until this one needs to be replaced. I replaced the grips too with a more modern S&W design. The original ones I am going to store in the parts bin. IMHO, the original grips don't feel comfortable, or at least they don't fit my hands.

So far, I love my first DA revolver, and hey it's a Smith ! ! !

P.S. Speaking about the new grips, do one of you knows if they are S&W or aftermarket?

Attachments

#14 ·
That's what my gunsmith said too: ratchet needs to be fitted to ensure proper timing.

I wish there were (more) areas in Southern California where you can just pull off the highway and be able to legally and safely do a little plinking...beats the heck out of overcrowded indoor shooting ranges, as well as the few (expensive) nicer outdoor ranges...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.