How important is a "Pinned Barrel" on a lil Model 37 2" bbl?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How important is a "Pinned Barrel" on a lil Model 37 2" bbl?

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    It goes this way.
    Pinned or not, what are you willing to own? I have model 14 revolvers in both styles, and one is no better than the other.
    The only reason they stopped pinning barrels and recessing cylinders was to save money. It has nothing to do with quality or better production methods.

Once S&W figured out they didn't need the recessed cylinders they discontinued them as quickly as possible. It reduced the cylinder length, saving the cost of the steel, and it greatly reduced the machining steps, machine tooling cutters, and labor costs. Eliminating the pinned barrels reduced the machining step of reaming the frame for the pin, eliminated notching the barrel for the pin insertion slot and the labor of both operations and the installation labor for aligning the barrel precisely to the frame and inserting the pin. And it eliminated the cost of the pin itself.

I have a model 19 that's pinned and a model 66 that's not. Basically the same revolver, but again they shoot the same and clean up the same as well. They both shoot to the same spot on the targets, and neither is more difficult to clean than the other. In reality the pinned barrels and frames give two more spots in the steel for them to fail over the threaded only barrels.
    There's really no such thing as a "Crush fit" barrel anyplace I've ever seen or read about, other than the discussions on these forums. It's simply a term used indicating the barrel is wrenched-in, until it stops on the frames receiver face. Threaded only barrels are actually made to much tighter tolerances than the pinned barrels were.

If I had my choice, they'd all still have pinned barrels and the magnum revolvers would all have recessed cylinders. But not having those features has saved tremendous amounts of money over the long haul producing the revolvers we all love so much.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Thanks a lot for that info. wow! That explained it entirely. And made perfect sense to me how you explained it.
    I learn more here than in books. The combination of the two is awesome.
    Thanks
    NRA Member
    It's not your aptitude that governs your altitude, it's your attitude.
    1977 U.S. ARMY/NAVY Lanyard Model Chief's Special.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    12867 times
    Only weighs 14oz, and if I only put one bullet in it, and keep the other 4 in my pocket, prolly only 16 ounces!

Thar ya go Barney!! After all, one's all you need!!
    Bob K and Injunbro like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GerSan69 View Post
    Amen! Incidentally, IMHO $450 is about right for a good-looking 37.
    Pictures?
    Will be shipped Monday, ...I hope, ...will have pics immediately upon arrival.
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    That is one fine looking gun. With the box and dox, you did just fine.

I see nice ones go for $400 around here. I like P&R guns but I pack a non-pinned Model 19 most of the time. I wouldn't pass up a nice looking gun just over that aspect.

I sure wouldn't sell it until you have given it a good test run. It will grow on you.
    I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Do you open carry that 19 in Wyoming? I love the 19 2 1/2 barrel blue gun. Big money gun there.

We have open carry here in Ohio, but I always feel strange doing it. My model 10 in a IWB holster is plenty big for me. That's my reason for getting a 37. I can have that at work easily.
    Can't imagine having a 19 in one. I got my CCW permit mainly because no open carry in Florida (unless you are fishing or hunting). I'm there about 3 or 4 months over the Winter and Florida is a lil more, ok a lot more, dangerous than North Canton, Ohio.
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    That is one fine looking gun. With the box and dox, you did just fine.

I see nice ones go for $400 around here. I like P&R guns but I pack a non-pinned Model 19 most of the time. I wouldn't pass up a nice looking gun just over that aspect.

I sure wouldn't sell it until you have given it a good test run. It will grow on you.
    Just looked. Wyoming not only HAS open carry, it's a "Gold Star Open Carry State". Nice!
    Open Carry | OpenCarry.org
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    12867 times
    I have carried concealed as an off duty officer and as civilian since 1966. I carried a Model 36 as an off duty sidearm for 13 years. In those years none other than my wife and a very few close friends have ever known that I carry a weapon and I'm gonna keep it that way.

Open carry and concealed carry are legal here. You seldom see anyone with a visible gun and there is little interest or response when one is observed.

Hey, it's Wyoming!!

I have carried a govt model 1911, the model 19, and 640-1 in IWB holsters from time to time, but since my "chest has settled" a little in the last few years, I carry OWB now.
    Last edited by Iggy; 09-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    I have carried concealed as an off duty officer and as civilian since 1966. I carried a Model 36 as an off duty sidearm for 13 years. In those years none other than my wife and a very few close friends have ever known that I carry a weapon and I'm gonna keep it that way.

Open carry and concealed carry are legal here. You seldom see anyone with a visible gun and there is little interest or response when one is observed.

Hey, it's Wyoming!!

I have carried a govt model 1911, the model 19, and 640-1 in IWB holsters from time to time, but since my "chest has settled" a little in the last few years, I carry OWB now.
    Between '66 and now, I imagine you've tried every holster carry method there is. I was looking at some really nice 19s, with a 2 1/2 barrel,... to carry.
    They are beautiful, especially the really nice blue ones. Just too big for me,...size and price. That's the reason I'm getting the 37. It will be so much easier to carry in an iwb holster.

You seldom see anyone with a visible gun in Ohio either, but there's always interest.
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    8024 times
    I used to carry IWB, when I had a J frame M-36. My K frames are too big for that........so I bought a minimalist Belt Slide holster and a 3 slot Pancake for my snubby K frames. They both conceal well under a shirt or jacket, and they are worn OWB.......it gets a little tight with bigger IWB holsters, now that I've redistribulated some weight to my gut! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    18543 times
    Rugersandsmiths, I know you're excited to shoot it and you should be for many reasons, but you're going to find it's different from your Model 10 in many ways. The weight and increased recoil is obvious, but the trigger action between a J-Frame (Model 37) and the K-Frame (your Model 10) are VERY different. In order to make the smaller size work, the J-frame mechanism isn't the same engineered design and it can be felt by a stiffer, less smooth action. They can be worked by a gunsmith to 'smooth' things out to a degree, which I've had done and have been pleased, but they simply are not like a K and definitely not an L or N frame model. Don't get me wrong, I love J-Frames and have many, just be prepared for a difference and don't allow that to be a disappointment, they're just not the same gun, nothing out of place or broken, just different. You'll see what I mean just by dry-firing and you'll have it down before you ever hit the range! Have fun and we do expect a full report along with the mandatory pictures!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    12867 times
    Blackcloud2 speak the trooth. J-frames are great little guns, but different and harder to master. They are mechanically as accurate as any other revolver, but because of the size and lack of sight distance, they are harder to shoot accurately.

That said, you can shoot them very effectively with practice.. I watched a guy hit a gong with one at 200 yards. Granted he fired it every day at that gong in an firearms exhibition and knew exactly where to aim, but I sure wouldn't want him PO'ed at me and using that gun.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Links