+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is this Model 10 Peru Police serial number right? Or what did I do?

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times

Is this Model 10 Peru Police serial number right? Or what did I do?

So, I bought this Peruvian Police gun, right? Everything I've read, including the SCSW, says my serial number is "supposed" to begin with AEV,....but the bottom of the butt of the gun says AEW50xx. I am not getting good vibrations about it.
    What can you guys tell me about that AEW50xx serial number? Where else do I need to look on this gun to see if it's a gun, or it was part of multiple guns, or what this is?Name:  0826132027a.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  180.4 KBName:  0827130933.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  121.4 KBName:  peru32304.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  90.3 KBName:  peru grips.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  15.7 KBName:  peru32304buttframe.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  15.9 KB?

As always,...I appreciate any, and all information, thank you!
    David
    timetripper likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1476 times
    If the stamping are all correct I think you are OK with that number. Looking at page 400 of the SCSW the range for revolvers made in Nov '84 runs from AEV to AFJ. Those later alpha numeric serial numbers are a little funky and not as straightforward as the earlier numbering system.
    John

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timetripper View Post
    If the stamping are all correct I think you are OK with that number. Looking at page 400 of the SCSW the range for revolvers made in Nov '84 runs from AEV to AFJ. Those later alpha numeric serial numbers are a little funky and not as straightforward as the earlier numbering system.
    John
    Ok thanks.....and why dont the grips have matching numbers to the gun? Or numbers at all? Looks like smeared purple ink on the inside of them....see the pics above of the inside of the grips?
    Last edited by rugersandsmiths; 08-27-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    And where are all these "stampings" located?
    I see the 32304 on the bottom of the frame like in the picture and inside the arm that holds the cylinder, like in the picture. Where are others located?

Aren't my grips supposed to have numbers on the insides?
    Last edited by rugersandsmiths; 08-27-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    13330 times
    AEW50xx is the correct, legal, serial #. The 32304 inside the crane is a assembly number (to keep fitted parts together) used in the factory prior to a serial # being issued & is now meaningless, so are all other random numbers on it. Like Timetripper said, November 1984 is the shipping date but possibly it was completed earlier & stored @ the factory for a while. Only earlier S&W grips were serial numbered to match & sometimes that was done in pencil. Hope this helps.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1975 times
    You could letter it to reduce your concerns...Looks right but others might ask the same questions...

Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    OP, I have bad vibes as well about this one, but since I'm a sporting man, I'd be more than happy to relieve you of your bad vibrations and take the gun off your hands. Seeing as my BIL is a retired PIP General, it would make for a nice gift. PM when ready.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.

Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing an idiot.

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    AEW50xx is the correct, legal, serial #. The 32304 inside the crane is a assembly number (to keep fitted parts together) used in the factory prior to a serial # being issued & is now meaningless, so are all other random numbers on it. Like Timetripper said, November 1984 is the shipping date but possibly it was completed earlier & stored @ the factory for a while. Only earlier S&W grips were serial numbered to match & sometimes that was done in pencil. Hope this helps.
    Thanks that helps a lot. But, you mentioned the assembly numbers were meaningless now. Wouldn't them being different in places on the gun show that the gun was made from pieces of different guns? Wouldn't that decrease the value? Like a '68 Camaro that had the front fenders replaced with those of a different car? Or worse, the engine replaced?

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alnamvet68 View Post
    OP, I have bad vibes as well about this one, but since I'm a sporting man, I'd be more than happy to relieve you of your bad vibrations and take the gun off your hands. Seeing as my BIL is a retired PIP General, it would make for a nice gift. PM when ready.
    I'm a newbie here and I can't tell if you are joking about the bad vibes or not, lol. This gun is soo pretty. I've wiped it a few times with a clean, soft t shirt with a lil lemon pledge sprayed on the shirt, then with another one without, til it's almost sliding out of the t shirt,....it keeps getting nicer and nicer with every coat. This is too nice to be 30 yrs old. It's either un-issued,... or I got scammed with a new replica! The grips even feel like new. No turn line. I'm even wondering if it being re-blued is a possibility, just soo nice.

I do have Cleveland Police Model 10 4" NIB he would love! I'd be willing to part with that one,..Or a Texas Hold 'Em set.

Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rugersandsmiths View Post
    I'm a newbie here and I can't tell if you are joking about the bad vibes or not, lol. This gun is soo pretty. I've wiped it a few times with a clean, soft t shirt with a lil lemon pledge sprayed on the shirt, then with another one without, til it's almost sliding out of the t shirt,....it keeps getting nicer and nicer with every coat. This is too nice to be 30 yrs old. It's either un-issued,... or I got scammed with a new replica! The grips even feel like new. No turn line. I'm even wondering if it being re-blued is a possibility, just soo nice.

I do have Cleveland Police Model 10 4" NIB he would love! I'd be willing to part with that one,..Or a Texas Hold 'Em set.
    Send me some pics ruger, to alnamvet68@getyououtofdebt.com...I may be interested, but my BIL would be your very best friend if you sell me the PIP model.
    Last edited by Alnamvet68; 08-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.

Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing an idiot.

Links