Smith And Wesson Forums banner

RB to SB grips?

7K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  insanetaxicat 
#1 ·
I have a perfectly delightful 21-4 Thunder Ranch .44 Special revolver. The one and only thing about it that is not to my satisfaction is that I would very much prefer it to have a square butt rather than the issue round butt grip. From time to time I've used Pachmayr Presentation grips to get around that little issue. That particular approach works well. However, aesthetically it leave a lot to be desired.

I would like to find a way to have nice wood grips for this revolver. I've been thinking of saving my pennies and then having some nice grips made by one of the grip producers whose work is so often shown on this site. The Pachmayr PG that I use is a size small and is just about ideal for my use. Given that it fully encloses the grip strap, I've been thinking wood grips could made that would mimic much of the shape of those grips tapering up gracefully to the top of the grip. If the grips were checkered, etc., the result I think would be a very useful improvement for the current design.

Does anyone have any RB to SB type grips that they have found useful, enjoyable? Thoughts... pictures would be appreciated. Sincerely. bruce.

#2 ·
I would have sworn that Arhends (sic) makes RB to SB grips.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Bruce ,

lots of people make RB to SB .

Altamont Company - Smith & Wesson

Ahrends Grips : Revolvers

Though it is only a J frame I like the grips I put on the 642 .
Gun Firearm Revolver Starting pistol Trigger

The checkered effect might seem more controllable , but many , including myself , prefer the smooth grip style .

Regards ,
George

#6 ·
I have these hogue grips and absolutly love them
Mine are rosewood and have the accent stripe at the base of the grips.

Here's a couple of links to their grip selections

Rosewood first.
Rosewood - Dark with varying figure : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

This is the entire line-up. Just click the link on their webpage to see the different color and wood varieties.
Full Size Conversion Grips - Round to Square : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

Gregory

#7 ·
Hi Bruce (et al):

As others have already pointed out, RB to SB conversion grips are fairly easy to find online and multi manufactures make em.

Gregorys (gearchecker) post reminded me that I recently put these Hogue "Big Butt" Grips on my Mountail Gun (for those who may be unaware, the Mountain Gun is an N Frame RB). These grips are very similar to Gregory's, but have checkering and a bit of home customizing (I slightly reshaped the "Big" of the "Big Butt" to make it fit my hand a little better and personally make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing to my eye).

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
click to enlarge

Regards All,

Geezer

#10 ·
Injunbro is in good taste with the Altamont grips. I have a couple pairs here, but I've never tried their RB to SB conversion grips. So I wouldn't be a fair judge on them. But from all of our experience I'm sure they would well suit your needs as any of these others will.
The real beauty in your question is that we can give or choices and you get to see the styles and our comments as well.
I'm sure the right decision will come to you in good time.

Regards,
Gregory

#12 ·
Okay, you guys gave me a headache just with the square butt to square butt N frame listings... Bruce, if you can't find exactly the right set from the listings, you can always have a set custom made, but it's kinda expensive. I make my own simply because I'm a cheap skate that doesn't really like watching the television. Push come to shove, send me a template of your grip frame and a rough outline around it of what you want. PM me a fullsized pdf file and I'll cut you out a rough set that you can finish at your leisure. Just nothing super fancy, best grip wood I have ready to use is curly cherry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.