+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: GunSmoke Smith & Wesson 38 special?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13401 times
    The revolver in question looked like a model 60. It had a brushed steel finish like the Ladysmiths have.
    He did the mod from start to finish at the S&W plant in just a hair under 20 minutes (According to the show)
    He bobbed the hammer, polished the trigger to round it out and get rid of the leading flat surface. He changed out the trigger and hammer springs to make the hammer work and he hand lapped the sear. He also put a set of rubber grips on it (The gun in the show had pink grips
    At first the S&W VP and production manager were saying no and they were doubtful that Wyatt would be able to makes these mods in less than 20 minutes.
    Wyatt's point was if he could do it in 20 minutes with basic hand tools, S&W could do it faster and for less money, eventually splitting the profits of the added model into their catalog.
    S&W said yes in the end.
    I'm absolutely certain that S&W would have said no if the plan didn't pan out. If S&W would have said no, that episode would have never gotten past the cutting room floor, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    I'm sure that the team from American Guns aren't the only gunsmiths in this country pitching a gun or gun product to S&W. They just happened a TV crew with them.

Gearchecker
    1911 and DocZeus like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    And here I was thinking "I didn't know Matt Dillion used a Smith & Wesson" when I saw the title.
    DocZeus likes this.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    3376 times
    I don't know.....I'm kinda turned off by all the hype on that show. It's more of the' Tacti-cool' oriented, gotta look cool, plenty of firepower, with exploding targets to impress somebody(?),......................... and it always has to be done in 24 hrs.. I sure wouldnt want to work for that idiot! Bob
    gearchecker, FlaRon and 1911 like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    The sad part about this gun is that the mod can be done in 20 minutes, and they charge $260 extra for this.
    They made one for a buyer on the show and that's how much they charged her, in addition to the base price they get.
    It was their "prototype".
    WHAT A JOKE.
    S&W should be ashamed for going into business with this P.T. Barnum.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13401 times
    I'm going to stand a bit in defense of Wyatt at Gunsmoke, He's building his business for his family and their future, and doing a pretty good job of it.

Watching the show more closely they've made numerous comments that it's one of their most popular revolvers they sell.
    They say they've sold many of them and can't keep them on the shelf.
    This isn't a one-off model that the customer purchased, it's a regular item they carry.
    Having S&W make them will be the coup d' gras.
    Gunsmoke will have their trade name on the side plate, and they'll be able to sell them without tying up their own labor force and bench time needed to build them.

As far as the cost goes, it's supply and demand. If they can sell them for their asking price, it's a fair deal for everybody all the way around. They didn't try to hide the cost for the custom work either. Paige said right up front what the revolver cost as a standard stock item, and to get the custom Wyatt Special it was $260 extra. The customer knew right up front what she was paying extra for the trigger job.

How much do you guys pay for a custom hammer and trigger job on your guns?
    It's not just the labor costs involved either. There are replacement springs, and those ugly rubber grips as well.
    And most of all he still has all of the overhead costs of the shop, taxes, staffing and supplies. And none of that can be cheap in the Denver area either.
    Last edited by gearchecker; 09-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I think the show does have some cool guns i watch it once in awhile when i remember to. However i feel they do charge an amazing amount sometimes. Some people also do have some weird request for guns so i suppose having the gun of your "dream" is worth x amount right? I mean if i did have the money i would pay for a lambo.....but then again i dont have the money .

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    Missed that one. I kinda gave up on the show when the employee with a machine piston was out shot by a kid with a replica 73 Winchester. Sons of Guns lost my interest really quickly. Too many toys that I can't legally own. And couldn't afford if we moved to somewhere they were legal.

And what is with all the screaming pink guns? They aren't exactly high couture accessories...

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13401 times
    I'd be willing to bet that the prices they discuss on these gun deals is all Hollywood. There is no way some of those guns go far the kind of money they discuss.
    The prices are probably stated so far out of the realm of reality that it's got to be for the Wow factor from those watching the show that really have no idea about gun values.
    Most of the prices they talk about are at least 25% higher than they really sohud be. And the bets Wyatt makes are all BS too.. A don't think a silver bar is going to intice too many customers into an overpriced deal.
    Like I said, I think it's all Hollywood.
    But then again with the inflation of gun values caused by Obama, anythings possible.

Gearchecker

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I believe the gun they used in the episode was the 637 S&W . Then they bob the hammer and do a trigger job and something to the actual trigger.

Here is my .02 . Paige said its a $500 gun that from the start is insane. They sell here for under $400. then 20 minutes worth of work then selling it for $750 .. WOW. S & W makes a hammerless version 642 and a 638 bobbed hammer. Why not start with those and do a trigger job $50 and call it a day at $450 ?
    Last edited by PistolLife; 08-31-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    DocZeus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2733 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolLife View Post
    S & W makes a hammerless version 642 and a 638 bobbed hammer. Why not start with those and do a trigger job $50 and call it a day at $450 ?
    I can't argue with that.

But I agree with gearchecker. What is good for S&W and local gun stores are good for all of us.

Not all citizens are into proper gun tech. They may buy one gun and keep it for 20 years. The girl not only bought a gun but was able to fire it properly on a range. She may leave work late one night when a criminal, with bad intentions, could decide that she is an easy target. Not a good idea.

My wife has no idea what a hammerless, bobbed hammer gun is. She isn't much interested in what stock is on it. I can't even get her to use a S&W.

She is a Colt girl. She says that the "shiney" one's scare them. She likes this one. Im just glad she has one for her protection.
    DocZeus, Bob K, WendyZXZ and 1 others like this.
    S&W K-frames and N-frames and a few 1911 Colts

Links