+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: S&W .22 LR CTG 17-3 6 shot revolver. (year, value, condition help)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

S&W .22 LR CTG 17-3 6 shot revolver. (year, value, condition help)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've had this .22 sitting in my nightstand for years and have never done anything with it. I have other guns (shotguns, 9mm) so I never even fired this gun. It's was handed down to me and has some wear, but in my opinions it is in great condition. The trades are superb and the grips seem to be original. I have some pictures I can post but should I not post the serial numbers?? I'm wanting some opinions on what year it's is, current value, and what condition it may be in.. I'm not a collector and do not use the firearm, so would like to sell it for a new duck hunting shotgun. Thank you in advance for the help. Serial is 1K47xxx also says 17-3
    Name:  gun 001.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  94.7 KB
    Name:  gun 002.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  79.0 KB
    Name:  gun 004.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  86.8 KB
    Name:  gun 005.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  93.1 KB
    Last edited by Joewchampion; 08-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    popscleveland and WendyZXZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Name:  gun 006.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  91.5 KB

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Joe you have a beautiful K 22. I cant advise you on the build date. Someone here probably will or you can call S&W and they will tell you. I can tell you with
    certainty that your gun would sell for 600 to 700 dollars around here.{maybe more}

Keep itand buy a Mossburg duck gun.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2468 times
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Near as I can tell, that fine revolver left the factory in 1971.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1760 times
    looks like 1971 for 1K47xxx

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12394 times
    That's an excellent shooter you have there. It was built in 1971 by the serial number.
    It's a K-22 Masterpiece, and it's one of the most accurate revolvers S&W built. It's very popular among S&W collectors and handgun shooters the world round. It can easily shoot 1-2" groups out to 50 yds with a little practice. I've heard of members shooting steel plates at 100 yds with these K-22's.
    I've owned two previously that I sold for one reason or another, and I acquired another one about 2 weeks ago. It's a keeper for sure.

To get better pictures of it, use a medium brown or a cream colored cloth for a background. You can use a shotgun shell slipped thru the trigger guard to prop it up a little for better angles too.

To see how good it shoots, you should get yourself some good quality 22 LR ammo and see just how sweet it really is. Aguilla, CCI Mini-mag, or Elay ammo is considered some of the best of the best. You can shoot anything thru it you want. I prefer copper plated or copper washed bullets to reduce leading issues.
    You'll be amazed at how good they fit the hand and how well they shoot.
    Congratulations on the ownership of such an excellent handgun. It'll last for many generations to come, with just a little regular maintenance.
    Value is completely dependent on the market where you live. Estimating it's value in the $500-700 range isn't out of the question. Condition is king and having any of the original items that came with it help increase the value. Having the Box, original paperwork, and the cleaning rod, and Sight Adjustment tool (Screwdriver) all hepl the value as a complete package.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 08-14-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Wow... This is great news. It's crazy to think this thing has been in my night stand for 12 years and I never knew what I had. Thank you all for being generous with your knowledge. Since I am not a collector, and would rather have a firearm that i will put to good use, what is the best way to go about selling this weapon? What are the legalities involved in selling online/ out of state/ in state.. Etc....

I don't not have any other original parts so the gun is all I would have to sale. Also, do these grips look original?
    I was also curious as to if there is a way I could clean or polish the weapon. There are some small places that have a rust like substance but look as though they could be cleaned. Again thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12394 times
    This will be a bit long, so please read it carefully. I'm going to try to answer your questions in a single response.

To see if the grips are original to the gun (I'm going to assume they are)
    Get a small bladed screwdriver that fits the grip screw well and gently turn it until is nearly out. Gently tap the screw head to pop off the grip panel on the opposite side. Take off the grips and one of them should have the serial number either stamped or written on the inside flat. I'm pretty sure it'll be the right side grip that'll have the serial number on it.
    All handgun purchases not handled face to face requires a transfer thru a dealer with a Federal firearms License. We just call the dealers FFL's. They will take possession of the gun to transfer the gun to the buyers FFL dealer. they will charge a fee for the transfer. the gun is then transferred (shipped) to the buyers dealer where he/she will pay a fee to receive the gun.
    Some states do not allow face to face gun transfers and will require the gun to be transferred from dealer to dealer. As the seller it's not too much of a hassle, as a buyer it can be a pain.
    Usually the seller asks for a set selling price plus a nominal fee to cover the transfer and shipping. Generally it's around $25-35.
    Gun forums like this one are ideal for selling a revolver like this, because we're already tuned to this particular model and know what they're values generally are.
    All gun forums that I know of require a set price to be listed in the post so that the seller doesn't create an auction by default.
    So you could take some better quality photos of the revolver and post an ad in the classifieds here. List your sell price (with or without additional shipping costs and let the good times roll. If you list it here (I strongly recommend doing so, for the quickest sale possible) it shouldn't last very long at all if your price is good for the gun you're selling.
    Last week there was a revolver listed in the classifieds here and it lasted all of 10 minutes before I bought it (at full price + shipping too).
    Your K-22 is a very hot commodity, and it shouldn't last more than a couple hours before you get an offer to buy it.
    Be prepared to negotiate a little, and possibly forego the shipping/transfer fees to get the deal closed.

If you try to sell this revolver at any gun shop or pawn shop, they'll only offer you around 40% of it's real value. They're in the business of making money, and they'll do it with your gun if you give them the opportunity. why give them 60% or so of your money when you should be able to sell it here for 100% of it's value.

How you handle the sale is up to you, but I'd list it here first!!!!

Regards, Gearchecker
    onenut58 likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2955 times
    Those pictures do not show enough detail.....need better lighting. But, it looks to me like you could have some rust spots and marks. I don't know how it could be assessed at $500-$700. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    827 times
    I too see alot of "issues" with condition. MUCH better pictures needed for ANY kind of guesstimate.

Links