+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By huntershooter

Thread: 657-4

Member #
    Liked
    653 times

657-4

Just finished "fine tuning" this 657. It must be one of the first series with MIM parts as there's no lock.
    Always liked the .41 mag., I have a few mod. 58's and a preemo mod. 57 . The 57 is too nice to drag around hunting, the 58's are (obviously) fixed sight guns, hence the 657 MG.

I have a few newer S&W's with the lock/MIM. They were purchased as hunting/beat to hell guns. I'll be the first to admit that if you took 100 of the new guns and 100 of the -2 series and older guns; I would bet that the MIM/lock guns would be the winner in an accuracy test.
    BUT; the engineering changes to the lockwork in the MIM guns is a nightmare. I'm not sure how many additional parts are added due to MIM/frame mounted firing pin/etc., but it is considerable.
    The FO front sight is backordered from Brownells and will be installed when it arrives.

Needless to say, a "trigger job" on this one was the worst experience yet on a newer S&W, and I've worked on a bunch of them. All's well that ends well I suppose.

DocZeus, FlaRon and needsmostuff like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3180 times
    I didn't know that they redesigned the actions with the MIM parts. I figured it was just a parts replacement. Could you go into more detail about the changes made? Just curious.....but I prefer the older revolvers, myself. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    653 times
    The stirrup which holds the mainspring at the base of the hammer is no longer held in place by a drift pin, the trigger lever which engages the rebound block will now fall out, the hand is now retained on the trigger and spring held in place in a half assed fashion, the pin which retains the firing pin/spring falls out and is easily lost, etc.
    For anyone that grew up on the "old school" S&W's, you will be in for a shock when opening up one the newer MIM models.

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    O the beauty of it . I have searched long and hard for a 657 MG as I require my carry stuff to be either Stainless or previously scratched and dented. They are non-existant in my local. .41 rocks.
    I do have new /lock guns but have yet to open one up so your report of the innards does not bode well.

Links