Member #
    Liked
    44 times

Black Bear vs. .357 Magnum

Name:  Model 65-1 .jpg
Views: 54990
Size:  98.3 KB

Black bear vs. .357 Magnum
    Our trip was planned, but my buddy called off, so I went solo into opening day at south Sequoia National Park 1979.
    I had backpacked in about 4 miles when I found a disturbing sight. It was a campsite that was torn apart and it seemed the humans made a hasty retreat. There were expensive sunglasses, knives, and parts of a tent and food wrappers. Hmmm?
    I had always taken my trusty S&W Model 65 .357 Magnum with me on trips into the outback. This time I had 158 gr. JSP factory PMC ammo.
    Another 2 miles and I had found my spot to camp. In those days I did not have a tent. My stay was peaceful for the first 3 nights, but on the fourth evening as I started to cook dinner, laid down to read waiting for my water to boil. I smelled something different.
    I sat up and there was a big black bear with a radio collar around its neck with my food bag in its mouth. I jumped up yelling and blowing my whistle as I chased the bear across a creek. It went up the hill with my food bag, dropped it and came down after me. I stood my ground, bear on one side; 12 feet of creek, three feet deep, and me on the other side.
    Well it was very angry with me and stood on it hind legs growling. It grabbed a small tree and shook it apart and pacing back and forth. I chucked rocks and sticks at it until there was no more. It was 5:30 PM and getting darker.
    The black bear finally started to cross the creek, it cautiously stepped on the boulders to cross as it watch my next move. I drew my S&W .357 Mag and fired a warning shot into the soft creek bank. Click and nothing, It was a factory dud! My next try would be lethal. The bear was at the 10 foot mark and coming across. I took careful aim into the bears left ear, thinking it was the softest spot into the brain, next shots would, if lucky, be the nose. I knew I was under gunned.
    I am not a hunter, it’s not my thing, but I would not be the hunted. With five more shots and my K-Bar knife there was no place to go but hand to claw fight if it came to it.
    I said, “I am sorry I have to do this.” And readied my first shot. The big bear stopped and backed off, went up the hill to eat. I ran back to camp and put everything into my sleeping bag and ran up the hill. I stopped and looked back and saw the bear running down the hill to the creek. It was now a foot race, about six miles in the dark west.
    I lost the trail twice and crosses several streams that I had forgotten about but made it back to my car at 11:30 PM.
    Name:  R44 3178 S Logo.jpg
Views: 33935
Size:  95.0 KB
    I now carry into the outback my .44 Magnum, Ruger or Smith loaded with 310 gr. Hammerheads. Thanks for reading my story. (It’s true too)

Member #
    Liked
    2777 times
    Good for you. You have my upmost admiration. It takes more courage to AVOID taking a life, animal or human, than just blast away. The bear was just being a bear in it's area, it didn't deserve to die for that.
    WendyZXZ and pappy like this.
    When I was young my Mother told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Turns out the police call that 'Identity Theft.'

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Thanks 1 old 0311, it was close. I have thought about that moment for many years. 4 times I had to draw my weapon to save my butt, no blood, no deaths, life went on. But two different stories told from two sides of the line, ain't life grand?
    Name:  Backpacking .jpg
Views: 3157
Size:  99.1 KB
    Last edited by Mehutch; 08-06-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    WendyZXZ likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1399 times
    Wow cool story, glad you made it out OK!
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13009 times
    That's a gripping story, Like the others I'm glad you came out okay.
    I haven't seen any bears yet while we're out hiking, but surely the time will come. I carry a .41 magnum with hot loads for just such an emergency.
    Sometimes retreat is the best solution.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    3195 times
    Wise move to pack a .44 Mag. Ruger! You've been lucky 4 times....but next time......? I don't know about sparing the bears life......if you wait too long.....it could mean your own life. If I had a choice between me...or the bear.......I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bear that was coming for me. God helps those.....that help themselves! Bob
    pappy and grasshopper like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Good on you for keeping your head. Something verty difficult to do in such circumstances.

Bud

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5869 times
    It was many, many years ago, but a chance encounter I'll never forget, and meeting a bear was the last thing on my mind at the time. No way out so I had to pull the trigger.
    .45 Colt Single Action loaded with 255 gr. lead SWC and 8.5 grains of dirty old Unique powder.
    One lucky shot between the running lights & it was all over. And yes, I was scared shi*less.

Name:  bear 001.jpg
Views: 4068
Size:  80.6 KB
    USAMP, WendyZXZ and Injunbro like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7809 times
    No bears around here so .357 is what I will carry when out in the woods.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2981 times
    What an incredible story!We used to refer to that as " Unassing the A.O.".I run into black bear and browns all season (May-October) and I never fail to have a complete meltdown every time. Frankly they scare the helloutta me and I ain't ashamed to admit it.I've carried 41's, 44's and 45's. Never felt undergunned with any of them. My current protector is a 45 Colt New Vaquero.It's kept me alive so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links