• 4 Post By banjerpickr
  • 2 Post By 1911
  • 2 Post By 1911

Thread: S&W 32 Long CTG revolver info.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

S&W 32 Long CTG revolver info.

Hello to all! I am not very educated in the handgun world and so I was not sure which forum to place this post. I am seeking some info on a S&W Wesson 32 caliber revolver that was my grandfathers. I am looking for the approximate age and value of the gun. Any and all info is much appreciated. I will try to give as much information that is on the gun that I can. Below are some pictures.

On the top of the barrel, it has the S&W as the manufacturer, Springfield, Mass, USA, and gives patent dates. The latest date is DEC 29, 14.

On the side of the revolver that has the chamber release, it has SMITH & WESSON on the side of the barrel. At the trigger it has the S&W emblem.

On the other side it has 32 LONG CTG on the barrel and MADE IN USA at the trigger.

Under the handle it has the number 518528.

There is also a number on the side end of the chamber from which the shells are inserted. That number is 518528.

Inside of the chamber at the hindge is 2 numbers which are the same. The number is 21071. They are located on the revolver body and on the chamber.

It appears to have a nickel or chrome finish with a wooden grip.

Again thank you for any and all information and thank you for your time.

Mark

Name:  IMG_3435.jpg
Views: 6230
Size:  84.4 KBName:  IMG_3438.jpg
Views: 6116
Size:  97.9 KBName:  IMG_3410.jpg
Views: 12861
Size:  97.4 KBName:  IMG_3421.jpg
Views: 4159
Size:  86.0 KBName:  IMG_3423.jpg
Views: 4661
Size:  85.5 KB

Member #
    Liked
    6453 times
    pickr,

Welcome!
    You appear to have a third model .32 hand ejector that shipped 'twixt 1911 and 1942. The numbers from that era run from 263001 through 536684. Yours would be in the later part of that range. The finish looks great and the wear on the checkered grips adds a lot of character. The finish is nickel. Nice heirloom!

Mike
    Last edited by mmitch; 05-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the info Mike. Do you know of a price range that it may be worth? Not looking to sell, just would like to have an idea.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13233 times
    WOW,
    I'm not into nickel finished guns, but that's a real beauty you have there. Giving a value on a gun is pretty difficult to have any level of accuracy. Pricing is very regional, and dependent on availability and condition. With condition being King!.
    Your's is pretty top drawer. I'd guess somewhere around $750 or so out here in the Northwest. It may seem high to some, but I really think it's worth at least that to a collector for 32 HE's. You might want to go to gunbroker.com and do some searching for a similar revover in similar condition and then watch the auctions to get a closer idea of a value.The longer you keep it, the more valuable it gets.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2691 times
    I am thinking that this is a .32 Regulation Police (pre-war)? They were 5-screw square-butt. The .32 Hand Ejector (third model) was a 5 screw round-butt. S&W combined these two models within the same serial numbers.

I am thinking the barrel length on this revolver is going to be rare compared to the shorter barrels that are usually seen? The stocks look nice. I bet if you carefully removed one that you'd see that the serial number on the revolver would match the number on one stock.

The .32 HE went on to become the Model 30 while the .32 RP went on to be the Model 31 (both in 1957).

Here are a Model 30 3" (nickel) and a Model 31 2" (blue):
    Oldgungeezer and WendyZXZ like this.
    S&W K-frames and N-frames and a few 1911 Colts

Member #
    Liked
    6453 times

Thank-You for pointing out that difference to me!

'preciatecha,
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    So 1911, mine is a Regulation Police and not a Hand Ejector?? If so, does this change the year and price value that Mike had previously mentioned?

Thanks.
    Mark

Member #
    Liked
    2691 times
    Mark,
    I looks like a Regulation Police to me.

The year is correct as both types were manufactured under the same serial number sequence. I'd also go with ~$750 to the right collector.

A collector is going to want to know what is under those stocks. I have a nickel .38 M&P that has some slight corrosion under the stocks (I always look under the stocks- grips- so I knew it was there and adjusted the price). Moisture (and dirt) can sometimes get trapped under there so it's good to keep it clean and slightly oiled, like the rest of the revolver.

And your stocks look right to me, but it sure will help to know whether of not the stock (usually only one is numbered) matches the serial number. Here is an example on a 1955 Combat Masterpiece:
    Oldgungeezer and WendyZXZ like this.
    S&W K-frames and N-frames and a few 1911 Colts

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3616 times
    The arched silver medallion grips mark it to the period of say 1930 to WWII. It is a Regulation Police by grip configuration and serial number location. .32's were not RP marked and their serials are concurrent with the 1903 HE. I bought one recently, nickel in very good condition for $275.

I suggest you go to gunbroker and look at actual sales data for the past 90 days. Asking prices for guns of this class are often over-ambitious.

Hope this is of help.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for all the info.

Mark

Links