+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .357 Highway Patrolman # 28

Member #
    Liked
    1072 times
    Any replacement barrel would have to be off a Model 27, since no 5", and very few 6" Highway Patrolman barrels exist. Numrich arms has none, and I doubt that S&W would have any either.

You're spending a lot of time trying to decide about rebarreling your father's revolver, and you haven't yet found out definitively if you can own the revolver, or not. You need to insure that the law applies explicitly to your firearm. Find an attorney who can discuss your problem with the proper government agency in Canada.

Your Model 28 may very well be grandfathered in. If your father owned the Model 28 legally, there is some hope that you, too, can own it.

I would not rely on heresay concerning so important an issue.
    Best,
    Dennis

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    I can't help the OP find a 5" barrel, but I thought that I could help my friends in the land of the free somewhat grasp the insanity that represents the Canadian Firearms Act which was enacted by the Liberals in 1995 and created classes of firearms called "restricteds" and "prohibiteds". Included in this class of firearms is any handgun with a barrel length of less than 4.2". Thank God that S&W, Ruger, and some others are building 4.2" 686's, GP100's, and a few others. Prohibited handguns CANNOT be transferred to heirs. Those who owned one prior to 1995 (I had one but sold it, not knowing what was coming) are grandfathered and may keep theirs for as long as they are alive, and in fact can purchase them from others like themselves. No one else can purchase or otherwise obtain them. You can bet that has reduced the resale value of a lot of really sweet guns. The ONLY exception is that prohibited handguns manufactured prior to 1946 (war souvenirs essentially) may be transferred to immediate relatives who are holders of a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence. Here's the exerpt from our lovely regs:

Next of kin of grandfathered individuals
    (7) A particular individual is eligible to hold a licence authorizing the particular individual to possess a particular handgun referred to in subsection (6.1) that was manufactured before 1946 if the particular individual is the spouse or common-law partner or a brother, sister, child or grandchild of an individual who was eligible under this subsection or subsection (6) to hold a licence authorizing the individual to possess the particular handgun.

This is what represents "restricted" and "prohibited" firearms up here. Read it and laugh, while we weep:

“restricted firearm” means

(a) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

(b) a firearm that

(i) is not a prohibited firearm,

(ii) has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and

(iii) is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,

(c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or

(d) a firearm of any other kind that is prescribed to be a restricted firearm;

Believe it or not, ARs are only allowed on certified ranges. Up here they are target and 3-gun rifles only.

“prohibited firearm” means

(a) a handgun that

(i) has a barrel equal to or less than 105 mm in length, or

(ii) is designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge,

but does not include any such handgun that is prescribed, where the handgun is for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union,

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,

(i) is less than 660 mm in length, or

(ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,

(c) an automatic firearm, whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger, or

(d) any firearm that is prescribed to be a prohibited firearm;

The last line essentially means that any firearm the Royal Canadian Mounted Police decides should be prohibited gets prohibited. It's a little more complex than that but that's the gist. These are the things we are working on via Canadian guns organizations and our current Conservative government.

Sorry for the hijack! Back to regularly scheduled programming.
    USAMP likes this.
    National Rifle Association, Canada's National Firearms Association, Canadian Shooting Sports Association, Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters, East Elgin Sportsmen's Association - Apathy Is Consent

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phimorcf View Post
    That's for the advice, the barrel has to be greater then 105mm converted it has to be 4.13" long...., I will be trying my best not to have to make any changes to this firearm.
    I just had a thought. I HAVE seen firarms for sale here in Canada, on the internet, that have had a small sleeve type extension added to the barrel to meet the minimum length. I don't know which gunsmiths do it though, you would have to do a search. They look a little funny with say .2" of sleeve protruding from the barrel, but at least they are still in the game.
    National Rifle Association, Canada's National Firearms Association, Canadian Shooting Sports Association, Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters, East Elgin Sportsmen's Association - Apathy Is Consent

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help...., great appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That would work too.

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    A quick question for you guys north of the border. Why 4" as the cut-off line? I know the logic is longer barrels are harder to conceal, but someone with bad intentions could hide a 6 inch barrel, too. With the 4 in barrel being so common, was the canadian government trying to basically eliminate handgun ownership completely? Scary stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's our wonderful Liberal government.

Member #
    Liked
    3221 times
    ok I have heard these horror stories before, I am still new to the forum and new to revolvers, but I work with 2 guys from Canada one only shoots cameras the other loves his guns, both are from Quebec. the gun guy has told us may times the difficulties of being a gun owner in Canada transporting, buying, how many can be owned ect...( it seems nobody will admit to how many they actually own) any way he has lived here in AZ for about ten years and is now spoiled, it is pretty wide open here in AZ. several months ago his wife expressed an intrest in moving back to Canada , not having any desire to give up all his toys he told her write if you get work or drop him a post card !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalegribble79 View Post
    A quick question for you guys north of the border. Why 4" as the cut-off line? I know the logic is longer barrels are harder to conceal, but someone with bad intentions could hide a 6 inch barrel, too. With the 4 in barrel being so common, was the canadian government trying to basically eliminate handgun ownership completely? Scary stuff.
    Yup, you've got it. That's why they banned the .25 and .32 as well. Their logic (using the term loosely here) is that they were increasing public safety by banning what they called "Saturday Night Specials" because of course bad guys are only going to use short barrelled handguns, and of course the bad guys were going to respect the ban.

You are also correct on the popularity of the 4" barrel up here. By making them "prohibs" they knew a large percentage were (are) eventually heading to the smelter.
    Last edited by silverstreak; 04-16-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    silver streak, no offense intended, as our countries are, and hopefully will remain, very close in friendship. I am astounded at the legislation you posted. The lesson I'm taking away is not to take certain liberties for granted here in the USA.
    FlaRon likes this.

Links