+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times

629-1 #'s on gun

Helllo all I'm new to S&W guns I bought a 629-1 44mag ,I've been trying to look up my #'s on it and I'm stumped, I see the model # and other # above it but what are the other #'s near the cylinder here goes model 629-1 AFC54XXX then the other one's near the cylinder 544xx with F5 then a S sideways stumped. I'm going out today and get me the book on S&W today.Thanks you for all the help, this sure is a great place. Ned from PA.Name:  100_1198.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  88.0 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11280 times
    If you are looking for the serial number the only true place to look is on the bottom of the grip frame. If you 629 has either target grips or the Hogue Mono-grip you will need to remove them to find the serial.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8276 times

Cool

Big Ned,

Welcome to the forum.

If you get the Standard Catolog of Smith & Wesson make sure you get the 3rd Edition as it is the newest one out.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    John Adams, July 17, 1775

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Member #
    Liked
    6902 times
    Greetings, BigNed!

RD is right, the serial # is stamped on the butt of the frame, under the grips.

It appears your serial # is also stamped above the Model #, in the frame area under the yoke, or what that OTHER revolver manufacturer (Colt) calls a "crane".

The "54478" number is most probably an internal S&W assembly number, that they use "in-house" during assembly, and really means nothing out here. The "S" is a stamp for "stainless"; you'll see other stamps on older S&W's, too....."N" for "nickel" finish, and "B" for "blued" finish. When you remove the grips, you'll probably see an "S" stamped on the side of the frame of the butt, too. Maybe an assembly number, too, but the serial # is stamped on the bottom of the butt flat.

If that is indeed your serial # stamped above the Model #, then your 629-1 was manufactured in 1984, probably closer to November of that year. Serial # range prefix AEV to AFJ is listed in the 3rd Edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson as November 1984.

Hope that helps.....I know you'll LOVE that .44 Mag!

DocZeus
    AKA
    David
    NRA Member.....SWCA Member.....Semi-Retired, But Not Dead Yet.....

Links