+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Model 64 or 67?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Model 64 or 67?

Greetings. My first post. I am 59 years old, have suffered a recent neck injury that has effected my hands, and I'm more a rifleman that handgun shooter, though I do own several. I am looking for a 4" .38 Special with a smooth action, easy trigger pull and narrow grips. So far I am looking at the 64 and 67 but don't really understand the differences between the two. Help, please. Thanks.
    john

Member #
    Liked
    7793 times
    The 64 has fixed sights (a notch in the top of the frame) and the 67 has adjustable sights. Everything else being equal, the trigger pull will be the same. Both are the same frame size, both could be fitted with the same stocks or synthetic grip.
    Last edited by azmick; 01-22-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    USAMP, DocZeus and lazytl like this.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, Mick. Am I correct in thinking the 64 is the stainless version of the Model 10 and the 67 is the stainless version of the model 15. Fifteen years ago I bought my daughter a Ladysmith in .357 Mag. I remember it as being a pleasant weapon to hold. I don't remember a number for this (she's busy with three little kids but said she'd check when she could). I'm not particularly wanting "Ladysmith" inscribed on the side of my firearm, but are they still available? Or, does anyone have recommendations? Thanks.
    USAMP likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    469 times
    Welcome to the best Smith and Wesson (and other stuff) Forum on the internet! The .357 Lady Smith is a variant of the Model 65, and yes you are correct about the 10/15 & 64/67. Looking at the Smith and Wesson website the 64/67 are still being produced. As far as recommendations, just depends on what you are wanting to do with the firearm? Plinking? Competition? Self/home defense?
    lazytl likes this.
    “The philosophy of the classroom today will be the philosophy of government tomorrow” Abraham Lincoln
    ” The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men.” Plato
    "Be polite, be professional, but make a plan to kill everyone you meet" Operators world wide

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm looking for a combination truck gun and home defense gun, though not necessarily concealed carry. I bought my wife a snubby .38 recently and I'll want to target shoot with her. I have a Ruger SP 101 in .357 Mag, but with my neck injury it feels awkward to me now. I guess what I want is a J-Frame 4" 38 Special if they're made. I would prefer adjustable sights if possible. I want something that is actually fun to shoot. My hands are not only limited in their ability right now but they are small to begin with. I'm 5'10" and 175 but my hands are small and fine so I need small grips. I've also been looking at the EAA Windicator, the Rossi, and the Taurus Model 82 but I don't have any experience with any wheel guns besides Rugers and Smiths.

I suspect the Model 36 Classic in the 3" barrel would be the closest to the LadySmith I gave my daughter.
    Last edited by lazytl; 01-22-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    DocZeus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7793 times
    There will be a slight weight difference between the J and K frames, not sure how much one would notice in shooting them. You may also want to try out a round butt style grip frame with round butt grips. You may find them more 'small hand friendly'. Just an FYI, 3" guns seen to be bringing a premium over the 4" guns. I suspect in a few years 'we' will be clamoring for 8 3/8" barrels (we are a fickle bunch)
    lazytl likes this.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    12823 times
    The J frames are easier & lighter to carry (3" Model 60 is a favorite of mine) but the K frames (Model 64, 67, etc.) have a bit more weight if recoil is bothering you. I'd stick w/ either S&W or Ruger since I've had less than good experiences w/ Taurus, EAA & Rossi. In my mind the extra $ is well worth it.
    lazytl and USAMP like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    7058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytl View Post
    I suspect the Model 36 Classic in the 3" barrel would be the closest to the LadySmith I gave my daughter.
    If you have small hands, then you'll definitely like a 3" Model 36; here's one I picked up at a gun shop I visited on vacation in West Virginia late last year:

They're light to carry, and the 3" barrel ups the velocity a bit versus a snub; I picked this one up for $349 shipped, and the Pachmayr presentation grips that were on it actually feel pretty good; and, there's a LOT of 'em on the market these days, too. For extended range duty, I prefer at least a "K" Frame, such as the aforementioned 64 or 67, to keep the recoil pleasant. But a 3" 36 with light or wadcutter loads is still pleasant to shoot, and small enough to do "double-duty" as a carry gun.

DocZeus
    AKA
    David
    Last edited by DocZeus; 01-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    lazytl likes this.
    NRA Member.....SWCA Member.....Semi-Retired, But Not Dead Yet.....

Member #
    Liked
    2980 times
    Have you tried shooting std. velocity 158 Gr. .38 SPLs. in your .357 Ruger? It's a little heavier ang larger than a M-36, but still smaller and lighter then a K frame S&W. The size should be ideal for smaller hands. A fine woman and moderater around here, Wendy, shoots a .357 Ruger SP 101. She loves it! I'm sure that she will be along to give you her impressions.

Give it a try at least, before you get another revolver. By changing the ammo that you shoot, and the grips, you can change the characteristics of any handgun, to make it fit you. Bob
    lazytl likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7325 times
    For a longer barreled J frame you might try to find one of the 5" model 60 revolvers. I have seen them in this area from time to time. As Bob K notes I love the 3" SP101 and shoot either .38 Special + P loads or the Remington Golden Saber .357 Magnum...from the 3" barrel it is a breeze to shoot. For a longer barrel you also see the Ruger with a 4" barrel. The Ruger would be my first choice because it is a little heavier by a few ounces and with the weight in the barrel it balances and seems to recoil less than my 3" model 60.
    lazytl likes this.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Links