+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Chrome snub nose .357 identifaction and value

Chrome snub nose .357 identifaction and value

My brother in law is interested in selling his .357 that was handed down to him from his father. It was given to his father from a Chicago police officer and has not been used in many years. I have interest in buying it from him but we are unable to determine exactly what he might have. He did manage to get a decent photo off his phone which has enough detail to help. There is not distinct model # stamped in it but it did have 21K8XXX stamped on it. I assume K frame and from 1978 era?

Everything I read tells me this would lean toward a model 10 but everything I read also tells me that it would be a .38 only. I have seen one article point to the fact that in the early 1970's S&W made a .357 caliber for New York police and a few of those made there way into Chicago as overstock.

Any signs as to what we might have here?
    TIA

Name:  357.jpg
Views: 3779
Size:  18.2 KB

It looks like a model-19 to me.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Open the cylinder and look for a discrete 19-2 or 66-1 or something similar. The cylinder/barrel arrangement screams .357 and a Nickel 19 or stainless 66 (essentially the same gun) is my guess. A model 10 has fixed sights ( a model 15, adjustable) and there would be daylight in between the cylinder and frame with a .38 Special.

I don't have access to my SCSW at the moment and can not comment on the serial but I'll bet someone will be along shortly.
    DocZeus and Oldgungeezer like this.

It is most definitely an S&W Mod 19 or a Mod 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel. It appears to be stainless steel which would make it a Mod 66 but it could be a nickel Mod 19. I can't tell from your picture. I also really doubt that this gun is a pre mod number gun. I think if you take another look you will find the gun stamped as Mod 19 or Mod 66 inside the yoke recess in the frame, as Waidmann said. If it's missinng it is probably an indication that the gun was refinished and overpolished in the process. It could also just be missing. Mistakes happen at factories.

NYC PD has never authorized the use of .357 magnum guns for their department. 38 Special was their standard until 9mm and the Glock were adopted. The Mod 19 or the Mod 66 were never used by the NYC PD even though they can shoot 38s as well as 357s.
    DocZeus and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Malysh

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Cool

That serial number range would put it in the area of 1977 according to the SCSW catolog.

Can't tell if it's nickle Model 19 or stainless Model 66 but it is not chrome from the factory and I doubt if it's a Model 19 chrome replate.

As Waidmann said getting that model number off the frame at the crane will narrow it down.

It would be a really nice revolver to own.

Regards,

FlaRon
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    John Adams, July 17, 1775

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Waidmann View Post
    Open the cylinder and look for a discrete 19-2 or 66-1 or something similar. The cylinder/barrel arrangement screams .357 and a Nickel 19 or stainless 66 (essentially the same gun) is my guess. A model 10 has fixed sights ( a model 15, adjustable) and there would be daylight in between the cylinder and frame with a .38 Special.

I don't have access to my SCSW at the moment and can not comment on the serial but I'll bet someone will be along shortly.
    Yeah Waidmann, the "model-19" quote was off the top of my head but a quick check of the S/N puts it as a K-frame produced in 1977. As to whether its a nickled or stainless will be revealed by a check inside the yoke. 19 = Nickled carbon steel - 66 = Stainless steel.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I will have him look this evening and see if he can get more info on the model. Considering it could be a Model 19 or a Model 66 can anyone suggest a resale price on these models? Assuming it was either or from the mid to late 70's.

The date of manufacturer in the 70s does not make a Mod 19 or Mod 66 any more valuable. What makes this a desireable gun and increases it's value is that it's a 2 1/2" bbl. one. The snubby Mods 19 & 66 are more in demand than the longer bbl. models, just as the market for 3 1/2" bbl. Mod 27s has increased greatly over the years.

An average asking price for one of these with no issues is about $550-$600.
    Oldgungeezer and DocZeus like this.
    Malysh

Wanted to post a follow up. Looks like the .357 is a Model 66-1

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member
    The model 66 is not chrome plated. It's made of Stainless steel and is a very fine concealed carry pistol. Pricing can range widely, based on where you live. Out here in Idaho I'd say $500-$650 depending on who want's it, and how much they're willing to pay for it. Stainless is easy to care for as well. Very desireable snubby you have there.
    3 years ago it would have sold for $750 or close, because of the fear that Obummer was going to shut down gun sales and ammo concerns.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 01-27-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast