Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: s&w model 66-2( 2.5in. bbl.)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy s&w model 66-2( 2.5in. bbl.)

hi, just joined. thank you!

just bought a model 66-2(2.5 in. bbl. stainless). it is in very nice shape, hardly a mark on it.

problem: took it out to see how well it shoots, couldn`t get a group to save my _ss.

where can i get another bbl? checked brownells, forget it! numrich`s, same thing.

have not contacted s&w yet but i doubt they can help.(since its not made anymore)

am i stuck?

Member #
    Liked
    7793 times
    How do you know it needs a barrel?
    Or maybe better yet, what makes you think it needs a barrel (besides not hitting the target)? 2 1/2" barrels tend to be unforgiving
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    To begin with swapping barrels is an expensive deal. Second, every snub nose Smith I've owned shot better than I can. I would suspect you have control and practice problem.
    I would shoot some SAO off a bench rest and see what you get.
    Last edited by diamonback68; 12-18-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Dick

If two us are exactly alike, one of us is unnecessary.

Member #
    Liked
    2978 times
    A revolver takes some getting used to.....to learn to shoot it well. You describe it as 'in great' condition. Why would you suspect the barrel? Just because you can't hit the target? Full power .357 loads are difficult to handle for a noobe. You should try shooting some .38 spl., just to get a feel for it.

Are you an experienced revolver shooter? it does take lots of practice. You don't become an expert shot.....by just pickling up the gun! Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 12-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9591 times
    Welcome to the forum.

I do not know your expierence with handguns.

I don't know what kind of loads you were shooting.

I can not tell if the sights are adjusted correctly.

Send me the gun and I will check it out for you.......... LOL

It is almost unheard of that the problem would be with the barrel.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    John Adams, July 17, 1775

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for replies.
    first of all, i would not have posted this if most, if not all variables were taken into consideration.
    i`ve been shooting in matches for some 10+years now along with all the practice that goes along with it.
    not bragging but i do know how to shoot. mostly my ed brown 45 but also several diff. revolvers and calibers.

secondly, i did use my rest. also, tried a few diff. loads including some 38`s.

and still could not get a decent group at 10 yds. i also know it would get rather expensive and involved.
    just wondering where i could find another bbl. because i think it is the bbl. taking it my local smith to put a scope down it next to see if he can find something in the rifling.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I assume you have adjusted the rear sight properly. First thing I would check is the crown for nicks or burrs. Second the forcing cone. I sure cant imagine a warped or bent barrel, theres not enough length there. There has to be a reason.
    Dick

If two us are exactly alike, one of us is unnecessary.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12557 times
    A few more questions.
    There are no replacement barrels at S&W for your revolver - I've already tried to get one from them for one of my guns.
    You might find one on gunbroker.com. I think I saw a snubby barrel posted here in the classifieds a few weeks ago. Look thru them and see if it's here.

Are you experienced shooting these snub nosed revolvers?
    I know you're an experienced shooter by your comments, and I don't doubt your expertise with other handguns, but these snubbies take a fair bit of practice and experience with, to be proficient and get consistant good groupings.
    Is yours a round butt or a square butt model? that makes a difference as well. I would imagine it's a round butt revolver, but we can't be certain till we hear from you.
    What ammo are you shooting?

What do you consider "a decent group at 10 yds."
    What is the problem with your groupings? Loose, off center, flyers? Is the rear sight assembly tightened down?

You shouldn't need to take it to a smithy to see if there are problems with the condition of the barrel.
    Shine a small flashlight from the forcing cone out, and look at the rifling with a magnifying glass if you need to get a close look.
    Does the cylinder lock up tight? Is there much lead or powder buildup in the back fo teh barrel or in the cylinder?
    Look closely at the cylinder bores (All 6) and see if there is any powder buildup near the end. The previous owner might have shot a bunch of .38 Spl and fouled the cylinder end. That will definetly affect your accuracy.

That's about all I can think of before having your smithy check into it.
    Have you considered having somebody else shooting a couple of cylinders thru it to see what accuracy they get with it?
    I have a 2-1/2" model 19 (same revolver as yours, in blued finish) my wife shoots lousy 8" groups with it. I shoot snug 4" groups with it.

Just some thoughts.
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 12-18-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diamonback68 View Post
    I assume you have adjusted the rear sight properly. First thing I would check is the crown for nicks or burrs. Second the forcing cone. I sure cant imagine a warped or bent barrel, theres not enough length there. .
    ++++ 1 for all the above but add ammo to the list. Factory ,reload,bullet weight? Just for a baseline I would drop back to a very mild (800-900 fps) 158 grain plain Jane load. Concentrate on a very loose non tactical or even one handed grip.
    Snubs are very susceptible too grips and squeeze issues during recoil. No weight or sight radius to help you out.

Member #
    Liked
    6335 times
    lx,

Welcome.

Reckon your barrel is leaded-up? Scrub the sheist out of it with a proper bore brush/Lewis lead remover and put some full-jacket ammo through it. It should shoot to POA @ 10 yards with the sights centered up and down, using 158 grain bullets.
    You have presented us with too many unknown variables, so we need to weed a few of those-out before any knowledgable brother, here, is ready to advise a new barrel.

Mike

Links