+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Cant decide! 686 2 1/2" or 686P 3"

Ive been itching to get a 686 for a while now and ive got it narrowed down between the standard 686 with a 2.5 barel or the 686 Plus with a 3 inch. Im leaning towards the 686P, any advatages between the two other than the extra bullet? i cant imagine a .5 inch difference being all that noticable, i just feel like the slightly longer barrel will handle the magnum rounds better. Opinions? comments? Criticisms? feel free folks!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11935 times
    Either one is a fine choice. It just boils down to personal preference. You will get a hair better muzzle velocity out of the 3" barrel, but not enough that you would notice. Some say the 7 shot cylinder is a little stronger due to how the cylinder stops are between the bores instead of lined up with them on the 6 shot cylinder. Don't know about this there are a lot of standard 686's in the field and functioning just fine.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8268 times
    I prefer the 686 + with the 3" barrel...not only an extra round but the 3" barrel balances better with the L frame revolver and a slightly long sight radius and a bit more velocity.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yeeeah like i said in the first post the 686+ is what ive been leanin towards and i imagine thats what im going to get. Theres a good deal for one on gunbroker so i think im gonna snatch it! The 3" to me just looks a little nicer, more balanced. Itll be perfect for what i intend to use it for, a nice sturdy all around gun to take outdoors and plink and not have to worry about ruining the finish (all my other Smith revolvers are blued!) Thank you both for the replys!

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    If you aren't hitched to a ball and chain....warden....the other half....or if you got yours trained better than mine buy both=)
    “The philosophy of the classroom today will be the philosophy of government tomorrow” Abraham Lincoln
    ” The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men.” Plato
    "Be polite, be professional, but make a plan to kill everyone you meet" Operators world wide

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just took delivery on my new 686 2.5" today. I had ordered a 686 but received a 686+. Bonus! Prolly paid too much anyways, $680 new. Fun little gun to shoot compared to my .44 Ruger Redhawk 4" and a sight more concealable. Ran about 50 or so rounds of 38 and 357 today and can't wait to get out and try it again. Nice feel to it, love it.

Member #
    Liked
    2778 times
    Quote Originally Posted by knute View Post
    Just took delivery on my new 686 2.5" today. I had ordered a 686 but received a 686+. Bonus! Prolly paid too much anyways, $680 new. Fun little gun to shoot compared to my .44 Ruger Redhawk 4" and a sight more concealable. Ran about 50 or so rounds of 38 and 357 today and can't wait to get out and try it again. Nice feel to it, love it.
    I have a lot of 2 1/2" K frames but want to try a L

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3708 times
    I walked into a deal on a 686+ 5 inch (Talo). I did not particularly care for the fancy grips to begin with and did not tolerate them well with full-tilt .357's. I am not too fond of round butts so for the moment its wear Houge conversions (RB>SB). Everytime I shoot it I like it better. Sunday I was shooting groups at 50 yds. that could cover with my hat. I'm pleased.

Links