+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

M&P R8 or 627 Performance Center

Anyone have either of the two? Both? Opinions on these would be awesome, I might even consider just getting the 627 Pro and saving myself a couple hundred bucks. All three guns come with moon clips, and are of the higher end of quality. But some personal opinions would go a long way. Plan on using the gun for target shooting and hopefully getting into some competitive shooting for fun.

Member #
    Liked
    9550 times

A 327 M&P R8 shown above. In honesty I haven't shot this revolver enough to give an experienced opinion. I bought it for many of the touted features of this 'Performance Center' revolver. From the little shooting I have done, the action appears quite smooth - but I don't want to comment any further until I have had a chance to really wring it out. I have an 8-shot 627, which I like very much, even though it has the dangdable key hole. . .Hank

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Beautiful gun man, I love that model it looks so nice. I really want that model with a red dot sight on the top. I just have to find a reason to pay the extra coin for it.

I dont even care about the keyhole man, I dont know why so many people seem to hate it. Maybe it gets crud in it? Or is it just because it looks like ass? Which 627 model do you have? Im debating between the pro and the performance center. Its not a easy choice, im not sure that there is that much of a difference other than the two hundred bucks and 1 inch to the barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Unless someone persuades me differently I will have to pick up the m&p R8

Member #
    Liked
    7793 times
    Hank, that do-dad hanging off the front a laser thingy?
    I guess I'm just too,,, "Old School", the 627 and the R8 do not do a thing for me.

My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    12816 times
    I don't think you can go wrong w/ any S&W of the model 27 genre. Which one is the right one for you? The one you really want the most. My experience tells me to always buy the one I really want the most & not try to save a few bucks or else I'll end up buying one later @ even higher prices. What's wrong w/ the keyhole? Outside of it looks as silly as it is there have been a few cases of them jamming up the whole thing from recoil until a key can be used to unlock it again... which is scarey if you ever have to defend yourself w/ it. The good news is it's not that hard to remove it & then you only have to look @ the hole. The 'old school' 27's like Mick's really have better actions & are sweet shooters, I personally prefer the 3 1/2" ones.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Decided to go with the 627 performance center, I read quite a few reviews on all three models. Seems the PRO is the best budget deal, the PC tho seems to be the best from the factory option. The M&P R8 seemed to have sooooooo many reviews stating that people had problems with light primer strikes. Usually it was 4 or 5 rounds per 50 that failed to fire. Seemed that some PC models standard length firing pins are the culprit, but that people also had problems with the R8 and screws coming loose, the barrel coming loose and other mis-fire issues. So for me its the 627 Performance center, and I already went ahead and ordered a Extra length firing pin from Cylinder-Slide.com so that I wont have to worry about the miss-fire issues that I have seen. NOT EVERYONE had issues with the firing pins, but I dont ever want to have to think in the back of my head that I could have that issue, when I need the gun the most. It comes with two grips from the factory, I think between the two Ill be happy with one. The only thing I might replace are the sights. Id like to have some good sights for low light visibility, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    9550 times
    [QUOTE=azmick;101148]Hank, that do-dad hanging off the front a laser thingy?
    I guess I'm just too,,, "Old School", the 627 and the R8 do not do a thing for me.

[/QUOTE

Mick, you’re half right, the thingy is both a light and a laser. Well it came with Picatinney rails for adding gadgets on top of the frame and under the barrel. In addition, it is an 8-shot with chamfered cylinders, a precision forcing cone with optimum barrel cylinder gap, polished Polygonal button rifling and ball detent lock-up. It accepts 8-round full moon clips for speedy reloads. Gadgetry reaches out and grabs me, but in truth I have sent many, many more rounds down range with a revolver very similar to what you showed.

Yup, one of those Red Dot gadgets added to the - to the - yeah it is kinda terrible isn't it?
    Hank

Member #
    Liked
    7793 times
    How does it shoot Hank? But where would you find a holster for that?
    I'm thinking just a lanyard and let it dangle, "Bling" for the American Shooter?
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    9550 times
    Mick, the shooting to date has been very limited. I have not seen anything, so far, that really impresses me. That said, it does have a very smooth action and I was shooting off hand and get a blurred front sight - which is to say, I cannnot give a fair unbiased opinion. The Performance Center built it and they usually do good work. I haven't used any of the gadgets so far. I took the red dot sight off another gun and put it on the 327 for a photo only. I'm stubborn, I want to shoot the old fashion way with open sights, but the light and laser are good for night-time ordnance way out here in the sticks.
    Holster? Who needs a holster for a night stand gun - The major usage of it so far. Interesting about light primer strikes - but everytime I pulled the trigger something went down the barrel. . .Hank
    Last edited by Triplelock; 08-18-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Links