+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Model 14-1 Price Check please!

Hey all - saw a 14-1 .38 at the local store today. Itchin' to get it. Thought I'd ask you all to give you opinions.

Orig. sights + diamond grips, no damage there.

80-85% Finish. Turn line on the cylinder, and about a fingertip of finish worn from the area just behind the barrel, bottom part of gun (almost in line with the bottom of the cylinder). Other small wear spots to be expected w/ holster wear - tip of barrel, etc.

Mechanics are clean and TIGHT. Bore is crisp, shiny, and flawless. Timing impeccable.

Sounds like the perfect shooter - exactly what I would want to use it for. Not the prettiest out there, but the guts are too great to pass by.

What are your thoughts on value? They're asking $575, but I know a lot of that is fluff. (I asked about a 1905 priced $595, and they dropped it to $495 right there). I'm thinking $400. Am I way too off? Don't want to get laughed outta the store or let them laugh their way to the bank...

Oh, serial # is K47439. Anyone know the date?

Thanks in advance,

-Drew

Member #
    Liked
    5155 times
    You might have an additional spot for a numeral in that serial #, but all said in the condition (80-85%), you didn't mention if it looked to be original or at least era stocks, I would say their asking price is way too high for me. IF this were to be in my sphere, $400 would be the top end and that would be under inspection. It's likely an early 60's gun, but if things aren't correct, the price wouldn't be worth more than that to me. Everything original, then $400 would be the low-end in this part of the woods. Offer your amount and see what the response is, but try to get a better look and ask if they'll pull the stocks to see if they match the gun. Good luck!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Dangit - totally forgot to check them, but I believe the diamond-in-the-center grips (assuming that's what you mean by stocks) I believe are what came with the 14-1. I'll be sure to check that out next time I go in.

I thought the serial number was a bit short - I copied it off their tag, and unfortunately didn't check myself.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    14-1's are not common. I have one in the box and am currently negotiating it's sale. It's quite alot better than 80% I think.

Based upon what other have sold for, I believe this to be an $1100 gun.

At $575, your gun, even in "Shooter Grade" condition is a pretty good value...

Drew
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    5155 times
    Gunnymerica, this is why you've chosen a good site, you can find the most REAL information like Sebago Son has just provided without going to a paid estimator. Somewhere between my amateurish offering and Drew's (the other Drew!) solid information, hopefully you can make a deal. Once again tonight, I learned something, I didn't realize the value of a 14-1, but now I do! Good luck and if you do buy it, pictures would be VERY much appreciated! BC2
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I completely, agree Blackcloud, great site indeed.

Sebago - great gun. Hope you get what you're asking! I'll go back sometime this week with fresh eyes and look it over again. I did notice some circular almost cartridge-looking marks on the back firing plate(?) directly behind the cylinder when it's locked up. I'm assuming your 14-1 has almost never been fired? Oh, and after looking at a few other revolvers of all types, I'd have to say the turn wear on the cylinder is pretty significant (solid ring all around cylinder). Right now, that's the wear bugging me most. The rest of the wear I can chalk up to S&W character building.

Quick question - the one I'm looking at has the exact same grips as yours - wood/diamond. If the #s match, can I assume it's a 14-1? (I'm pretty sure I can, just figured I'd double-check).

Appreciate the help!

-gunnymerica

note: I'm actually inclined to give the shop credit w/ their pricing (a bit more now that Drew-1 has agreed). They did school me in my Beretta Model 70 take-down issue I was having today, free of charge - and warned me against the perils of Taurus ownership, (girlfriend's looking to get a Charter Arms .38 it looks like). But I'm hoping my knowledge learned here and the fact I'm a repeat customer can buy me some discount!!
    Last edited by Gunnymerica; 07-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnymerica View Post
    Sebago - great gun. Hope you get what you're asking!

Quick question - the one I'm looking at has the exact same grips as yours - wood/diamond. If the #s match, can I assume it's a 14-1? (I'm pretty sure I can, just figured I'd double-check).

-gunnymerica
    Not to worry... I got my price from a knowledgeable collector.

The 14-1 Model Type has alot more to do that just Matching Diamond Stocks... are you sure you are looking at a 14-1? Sounds to me like you need to do a little more research to better understand what you are talking about.

The price you indicated does not reflect the rarity of this gun.

Consider that the gun could be refinished. Do you know enough about Smiths to tell the difference?

Drew
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Sebago - wasn't implying you wouldn't get what you're asking, just wishing you the best in the sale.

Thanks for clearing up my assumption that it is a 14-1. I am just going off what their tag says and the one comment I read on another site about the diamond grips being included w/ the 14-1s. I'll definitely need to get a bit more information on telling the 14s apart, inquire at the store, and hopefully get it all clarified.

Oh, and I forgot to add - although we both agreed the quality was around 80-85%, he did mention that perhaps a "stickler" would put it less (which of course, I took to mean it is truly worse off than our joint "guesstimate" of 80% - to the trained eye, and not a newbie like myself). Like I said, the turn wear is quite severe, and there are other spots of wear. Just thought I would run it by you guys to get an idea of what something like this would be worth - still knocking around the idea of whether to pass it up or not.

However, if I do determine it to be a 14-1, perhaps it is a deal. Guess I'll have to hit the books!

-Gunnymerica

Thanks for the reality check - I must've forgot the internet is full of liars, cheats, and people who've been cheated.

Take for example:http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-553954.html

jc223
    November 9, 2010, 11:36 AM
    "Thanks for the replies. A 14-1 with some little wear on the blueing is offered to me for 140 Dollars. Do you think that is a fair price? Comes with original grips (with diamond inserts)."

Guillermo
    November 9, 2010, 11:38 AM
    "140 Dollars. Do you think that is a fair price?

no

it is way too cheap"

__________________________________________________ _______
    Now even I know that sounds fishy.
    Last edited by Gunnymerica; 07-21-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Here we go:
    Smith & Wesson model changes

And the subsequent info:
    Model 14,15,16,17,18,48,53 (all start without dash in 1957)
    -1 1959 Change to LH extractor rod thread
    -2 1961 Cylinder stop changed, hole in front of trigger
    guard eliminated
    -3 1967 Relocation of rear sight leaf screw
    -4 1977 Changed gas ring from yoke to cylinder

At least it's a start ... Now to get pictures!

Edit 7/21:

"The Reason for the Dash-1 in this series is that they changed the extractor rod threads from Right hand Thread to the new Left hand Thread, to keep the extractor from loosening up under recoil. if you look close just past the Knurling on your extractor rod, you will see a Cut down into the rod. This is to signify that it has left hand threads, and some even had the face of the cylinder stamped with the Letter prefix "L" to show owners and gun smiths it had the threads changed."

Link to Free Digital Copy (portions) of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson By Jim Supica, Richard Nahas
    http://books.google.com/books?id=D8q...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by Gunnymerica; 07-21-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Links