+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    2838 times

Model 625-8 Questions...

Bought it used last night at Cabela's. I have looked at the gun for a couple weeks. It is possibly the FILTHIEST thing I have ever seen in a display case, and I mentioned it to the counter clerk. He said they leave them the way they come in, so that no one can believe that they fancy them up to sell then.

Bore light down it: Filth. Forget seeing what the bore actually looked like, due to chimney soot. Cylinder: Coal black. Outside of cylinder, discolored. Muzzle, filthy. I wanted a .45 ACP revolver, but not this ugly thing. There are not a lot for sale and the performance center model: Could there possibly be an uglier set of grips on a gun? Red, white and blue? Looks good on our flag anyway.

I handled it and was surprised just how tight the lockup was on this particular gun. I rubbed my finger on the cylinder and muzzle, and realized the primary issue was that the previous owner must have figured that stainless did not require cleaning and/or was just a lazy slob. Rubbed my finger on the muzzle a bit and stuff came off. Decided to buy it.

Hoppes soaked into bore. Then a scrub job. More Hoppes. First cleanup. Then bore cleaner. Cleanup and worked it over with Rem oil. It shocked me how much better it looked. Nearly new appearance.

Now, the questions for the experts:

1) Ordered metal moon clips from cheaper than dirt. There are various ways to go on brass. I do have some .45 auto rim I picked up, but will likely use .45 ACP loads. Brownell's sells a demooner. I notice Dillon sells a unique one. Any suggestions?

2) When I dry fired this gun. Hard to describe. Makes a clink noise and not a loud snap like I expect a Smith to do. Sort of odd.

3) From what I read, the 625-8 seems to have been designed for lead bullets. Does not work as well with jacketed ones?

Questions??? Looking for answers....Name:  Photo on 2011-06-25 at 06.40 #4.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  94.3 KBName:  Photo on 2011-06-25 at 06.40 #3.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  93.2 KBName:  Photo on 2011-06-25 at 06.40 #2.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  91.6 KBName:  Photo on 2011-06-25 at 06.40.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  87.0 KB

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The 625s are pleasant and accurate guns to shoot, although a little heavy to carry. The Dillon demooner is very easy to use, but I find that a simple metal lever or even a screw driver also works well. One competitian shooter that I know simply used a large cotter pin to string several clips on. They slipped off easily and quickly for speed reloads. The 625 also responds readily to trigger work, and it is possible to have a reliable double action that is smooth and six pounds or less. It is the one production revolver that I know that will give 1911s fits in competitian.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Looks like you did great. Even if the pictures are reversed.

I have had 625's since they were introduced in response to the Pin-Shooters. I have one of the early 5-inch, a 3, and now, the -10 snubbie.

A wonderful cartridge to shoot in a well built vehicle for it. The heavy underlug helps keep recoil to a minimum and is a real pain on the auto guys when I'm out playing Action Pistol with it.

The simple tool works just fine, but get a couple of them, it never hurts to have a spare or two, and get at least 10-20 of the full moon clip if you are planning on a lot of shooting with it.

Member #
    Liked
    7668 times
    I used the Dillon demooner and had no problems with it. I also used a screwdriver and stabbed myself (says more about me than the screwdriver). If you are going to shoot it alot, get a mooner,,, can't believe I just recommended a mooner,,,,
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    2838 times

Unhappy Dillon tool ordered

Mick,

Bloody hell, I wish I read your post earlier. The screwdriver worked, to stab my palm anyway. I am not sure how it worked to demoon the loaded shells. I decided I had to install snap caps on the moon clip, to dry fire it. Makes a strange sound when you do. Maybe that is the sound of an MIM hammer falling and striking, rather than a forged hammer?

The trigger is certainly different from my other 3 Smiths. Smooth trigger surface, not ribbed, that let's the finger slide across it. Fairly heavy, but very smooth double action pull. Excellent single action feel. Cannot wait to shoot, after hand heals up.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have two 625's that I shoot regularly (5000-7500 rounds per year). One is a 5" 625-6 and one is a 4" Jerry Miculek Special. I have relatively large hands (long fingers) and prefer Pachmayr Decelerator Grips. I have Red Dot sights on both of my revolvers. I have been amassing fine shooting revolvers for many years. The 625's rank with the very best in shootability.

I put Jerry Miculek spring kits (they are matched sets) in both of my revolvers. I prefer 9.0 lbs double action and 3.0 lbs singles action and set both of mine up like that. They will both shoot well under 1" at 25 yards with my home cast bullets (H&G #68 Clone from a Mihec mould). I use a NOE clone of the Lyman 454424 for my heavy bullet load (it is easy to get a safe 900+ fps with this bullet- a 250 gr Keith).

I use Ranch Products steel clips for serious use, order by phone (excellent prices, direct):

Ranch Products

To load the steel full moon clips, I prefer the "Deluxe Moon Clip Tool":

Deluxe Moon Clip Tool

I have tried several different tools for unloading the clips (the Deluxe Moon Clip Tool works pretty well to unload, also) but much prefer Brownell's Moon Clip Stripper for ease of use. They work with the tightest steel moon clips you'll run into.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1...197100_d_10094

Now, for range use and .45 ACP cases you cannot beat "RIMZ" polymer clips. They load and unload easily with the fingers. I don't know how long they last but I have been shooting the same batch for several years without a single failure.
    They are not as secure as the steel clips but MUCH easier to use.

http://www.ezmoonclip.com/page_4.htm

If you prefer the ease of a "standard" rimmed case then the Starline .45 Auto Rim cases are the answer (I have 1600 of those and mostly use them as most of my shooting does not require a quick reload). There is no denying that .45 ACP cases have been (at least in the past) readily available as "first nighters" for very reasonable cost. If I were forced to limit my shooting to .45 ACP cases it would NOT be a problem. However, the Auto Rim cases appeal for several reasons.

Here's another reason that I like 'em - shot standing at 25 yards:

Dale53

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 06-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Nice 45's, all and sundry. Now I'm even more motivated in my search for one.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6989 times
    Very nice .45 revolvers!

I like that the pistol cleaned up well and sounds like it should work great in competition.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    2838 times

Cool That scope gets it done!

That target looks like the center had a paring knife. Took mine out and shot it. Dead on and very modest recoil. Got my Dillion tool. My hand healed up from the screwdriver demooner tool so I can use it.

At seven yards, no problem knocking spent shotgun shells around left by thoughtful dove hunters. My third N frame. Folks with big hands don't know what they are missing. You have to have size 15 shoes to really appreciate finding stuff that fits good, and works good!

Links