+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need some help for a .32

I've had this old six-shooter for sometime that belong to my grandfather, that he left for me when he passed on. I have had much time too look for information on it till recently. I was wondering if any one give me the approximate age of when it was shipped out. the S/N is 10XXX. I also notice this same number was stamped on the inside of the cylinder. Any reason on why they did this? I will try and post a picture later.

Any help would be appreciated and welcomed. Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Re: Need some help for a .32

without further information I would guess .32 hand Ejector 2nd model 1903 to 1904.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What other information would you help clarify that from a guess to more a decision of yes that sounds right?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Hi night a model number and picture would help. Did your grandfather buy the gun new or used. What I need is a time perod.

DCW
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

In the absence of a photo, a couple of questions may help narrow this down.

Is the serial number you cited stamped on the butt of the gun?

Is this the kind of revolver where the cylinder swings out to the side to load cartridges and eject empties? If so, do you release the cylinder by pushing a thumb piece on the side of the gun or by pulling the end of the ejector rod that extends under the barrel?

Can you tell us exactly what stampings there are on the barrel? There may or may not be patent dates in addition to the caliber designation.
    David Wilson
    S&WCA No. 2206 / SWHF Founding Member No. 144 / NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hello C pierce and DCW

to answer your question C. Pierce about whether my grandfather bought the gun used or new i couldn't say and neither the people I asked who know about the gun. That's the other part of my puzzle pierce is that I don't know the model number.

Now to answer your questions DCW,
    1 yes it printed there as where as I stated earlier.
    2 there thumb piece on the left side of the gun to release the cylinder to empty the shells.
    The top of the barrel it Says Smith Wesson Springfield Ill
    Pat D April, 08 /89, March 27/ 94, May 21,98 along with about six more pat d dates listed.
    Also on the Left side barrel 32 Winchester OTG with some strange symbols that look like Brackets with an x in the middle of them before and after the 32 WINCHESTER OTG.

Now the right is a symbol below the cocking arm I'd say about 1/4" is something about a TRADE MARK the trade is on top of this symbol and mark is on the bottom.
    Well I thought I would be able to post a picture but my camera was dropped and damage so I will have to wait to post pic's my apologies on that.
    I thought about having Smith and Wesson do that 50 dollar letter thing but I read somewhere on another forum to try here first.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Night now you got me confused, are you sure it does not say 32-20? They never made a .32 win.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

C. pierce

That's what's on the barrel, I might otg mistaken for a ctg, I'll admit to that. But anyways that's my mistake. and I'll own up to that. But I swear it says 32 Winchester ctg on the side of the barrel. Anyways from other research I've found that .32 Winchester is is the same as you state 32-20. I found this out on the following forum. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=221025. This is where I was informed to try here.

DCW
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I think that's enough to identify it. You have a Military & Police Second Model (Model of 1902), First change revolver that was probably produced in 1903 or 1904. Barrel options were 4, 5 and 6.5 inches, finish could be nickel or blue, and butt configuration could be either round or square.

There were about 13,000 units of the M&P Second Model produced between 1902 and 1903 in .32-20 caliber, of which about 8,500 would be considered "First change" guns. This variety incorporated some engineering changes designed to improve the gun's strength.
    David Wilson
    S&WCA No. 2206 / SWHF Founding Member No. 144 / NRA Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1523 times

Night,

Your info about the 32 Winchester CTG being also know as the 32-20 is correct. I've seen older Winchester lever action rifles stamped the same way. I'm wondering if this is something to do with the age of the guns as I have a newer M&P that is stamped 32-20 CTG on the barrel. Mine was made sometime after WWI, late 20's or early 30's.
    Sounds like you have an interesting old-timer there! What do the grips (stocks) look like? Are they a black hard rubber or wood?

John
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston hurchill

Links