S&W Model of 1905 - Date of Manufacture?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: S&W Model of 1905 - Date of Manufacture?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

S&W Model of 1905 - Date of Manufacture?

Hi,

I have a S&W Model of 1905 with a serial number of 506006. Is there somewhere online where I can look up the date of manufacture?

Thanks,

Tim

DCW
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Re: S&W Model of 1905 - Date of Manufacture?

Welcome to the forum. The only sure way to get a shipping date on a S&W is to spring for a factory letter. There is no internet source for S&W serial numbers, but you can find some good serial number/calendar year approximations in the back pages of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Supica and Nahas).

The problem is that Smith never recorded manufacturing dates -- just the dates on which guns left the building. Obviously the gun had to have been manufactured before it could be shipped, but Smith had no policy that mandated shipping in serial number order. Thus one can find guns with higher serial numbers that actually shipped months ahead of guns with lower numbers.

I can tell you as a kind of statistical approximation that a lot of other M&Ps with S/Ns around 500000 were shipped in 1925, and that's the best guess for your gun as well. If it got caught in one of those first in/last out situations, it might not have left the factory until 1926.

Haven't I seen that windowsill somewhere before?
    David Wilson
    S&WCA No. 2206 / SWHF Founding Member No. 144 / NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Thanks David! Yes, I believe you have! It's usually adorned by the "other" manufacturer.

Member #
    Liked
    6543 times

Date of manufacture is difficult to pin down......even for S&W. All the parts are made on different dates, assembled on different dates, and even put in boxes, and sent to the warehouse, on different dates. It may stay there days, weeks, or months.....depending on the supply and demand for that particular model. So....they use shipping dates, instead. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Whenever it was made or shipped, that is one fresh-looking handgun.

Is that a 5" barrel?
    Las armas son necesarias
    Pero nadie sabe cuando;
    Asi, si andas paseando,
    Y de noche sobre todo,
    Debes llevarlo de modo
    Que al salir, salga cortando.
    Martín Fierro

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have that same handgun. Serial number is 21770. It belonged to my grandfather. He was one of the last clipper ship captains before steam came along. I believe his gun was a sidearm during his days as an officer in the Merchant Marine during WWI. I say that because the gun has a small buckle on the bottom of the grip.

I would appreciate any information you might find as well as what you know about the correct ammunition to use. I don't fire mine often, but do use 44 special hollow points. I worry that this may not be the proper ammo for such an old gun.

Thanks

Joel

DCW
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Joel, welcome to the forum.

Actually your grandfather's gun is a little larger than the one in the post that started this thread, but their configuration should be almost identical. With that serial number, the gun you describe is classified as a .44 Hand Ejector, Second Model. That model was introduced in 1915 and your grandfather's gun was shipped about 1922-23. The "buckle" you describe is called a lanyard loop. Most (but not all) military contract revolvers have these loops, and some commercial versions of the military models had them as well. The .44 HE/Seconds came with different barrel lengths: 4", 5", 6" and 6.5". Which is yours? Measure from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle.

As long as you stay away from the hottest modern loadings, you should be able to fire any modern ammunition in your gun. What I usually do in my older guns is to shoot mostly cowboy action loads, as they are downloaded a little and won't stress old metal as much. (Not that the metal in your gun is weak; about 1921 S&W introduced a new heat treating process to strengthen their cylinders, and your gun would have received that treatment).

Please post photos of the gun in question. Don't hesitate to start your own thread.
    David Wilson
    S&WCA No. 2206 / SWHF Founding Member No. 144 / NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi, A friend of mine has Model 1905 revolver it is a 38 special with a 4 inch barrel.Serial number 306610. Thank you for your help. I have a picture but your site won't let me download it from my iPhone. Gun is also nickel plated.

Member #
    Liked
    4177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter784 View Post
    Hi, A friend of mine has Model 1905 revolver it is a 38 special with a 4 inch barrel.Serial number 306610. Thank you for your help.�� I have a picture but your site won't let me download it from my iPhone. Gun is also nickel plated.
    Hey Gunfighter,

Welcome to S&W.

Merry Christmas!

It may help if you "Post a New Thread"...............When you "Post a New Thread" you will be in the "Advanced". Scroll down, you will see "Manage Attachments".

Later, Mark
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22240 times
    Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Go to the iPhone store and download Tapatalk. Then things will be much easier to manage. The gun was made around 1920.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links