Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Need Help Identifying

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  KYcollector 
#1 ·
I have a Blue steel 38 S&W CTG , with what appears to be chrome hammer and trigger, right side plate has 4 screws, SN: I-54474. Can someone help me out with this one ? Thanks

#3 ·
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass. As Forester says, we need some pictures because S&W didn't use I in its serial number series. Might be a J, but S&W didn't make any .38 S&W cartridge chambered revolvers with a J serial number...only .38 S&W Special. So, we need to see the gun to help you. Please include pictures of the left and right side that clearly show all the stampings as well as a picture of the SN on the butt of the grip frame. Size your pictures to 800x800 before uploading them from your computer. You can attach up to 5 of them to a post by using Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments (scroll down below the text box).

#5 ·
Nice pictures, but you aren't helping us help you. What does the stamping on the right side of the barrel say? Also, take off the grips and shoot both sides of the grip frame and the bottom of the frame, where the serial number should be. The grips indicate a gun shipped before WWI.

#12 ·
It certainly wasn't what I expected to see.

Unfortunately you have a copy. Not made by S&W.
And noteven a good copy at that. I would guess Pakistani or Turkish origin.

And like Guy said, "Nice paperweight"
It's probably worth $50-75 on a good day.
If you bought it from a dealer and paid more than, that I'd be returning it for a full refund, and an apology.
You probably got hussled on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.