Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JStover
  • 1 Post By Wiregrassguy

Thread: S&W 32 WCF CTG w/ Pearl Handle

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

S&W 32 WCF CTG w/ Pearl Handle

I'm new to hand guns and forums, so please bear with me.

Trying to help my father-in-law out. He inherited a S&W hand gun from his father that has "32 WCF CTG" printed on the barrel. The gun has a pearl handle and is nickle plated (I believe). There are 2 different serial numbers on the gun; bottom of barrel = 91160, inside of cylinder = 66459. The plating is not in the best of shape. I found a photo of a similar hand gun on line which suggests it may be a Model 1905.

Can anyone direct me where I can find out some information on this gun such as when it was made, what is it worth and is it worth having it reconditioned for my father-in-law (and if yes - approximately how much would that cost)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Name:  IMG_0716.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  100.7 KB
    Wiregrassguy likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13991 times
    to the forum from the Wiregrass! You have a S&W .32-20 (Winchester Center Fire) 1905 4th change revolver. The serial number under the barrel should match the number on the face of the cylinder and the butt of the frame. You may have to take the grips off to see the SN on the butt. Be careful, because those grips are fragile. Nice grips by the way. Your gun was shipped in the early thirties..

If you refinish the gun, it will lose any collector value it may have. However, it is not a very valuable gun in the first place. Getting it reblued will cost around $200 from apwcogan.com.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3698 times
    Hi Jstover and welcome to the forum. The number on the barrel should agree with the one on the cylinder, concealed side of the ejector and on the butt which the one that is the gun's legal identity. The others are frame assembly numbers and have no meaning today. If there is not one on the butt inbetween the grips that is an issue. The mother-of-pearl grips if in good shape probably have more value than the gun without them. The gun in its condition is a sub-$200 proposition in my view and restoration a money pit. Having said that I believe it is a valuable family heirloom worthy of retention, peservation and further inheritance. I would carefully remove the grips and give it a good cleaning with light machine oil. You may want to use the mildest abrasive, 0000 steel wool or softer where the plating is missing and rust has formed. Avoid ammonia with nickel plating. The barrel serial falls in the range of the 1905 Change 4, 1915-1940. It is in the era of heat treated cylinders. If the right frame has MADE IN U.S.A. it's 1921 or after.
    W.

P.S. you can't blue a plated gun without removing the plate, so I have to cite a higher cost.
    Last edited by Waidmann; 11-19-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13991 times
    Also, neither Bill nor I mentioned that the .32 WCF cartridge is very hard to find and expensive if you do not reload. Originally, it was a rifle cartridge but the rifle cartridge should not be used in the handgun because it is too powerful. I suggest cleaning it up as much as possible and putting it into a shadow box for your FIL.
    Waidmann likes this.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the information. It is a big help. I'll check on the serial number on the butt on the frame and also clean it up to try and perserve it longer. Thanks again!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3698 times
    ^ ditto

Links