+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

32 long ctg year help

Well I have a gun collection now, though the cost was rather high (my Dad passed) and all things considered I would like to return them for a full refund. But life goes on and I am enjoying them. I put in a hundred yard range down in the bottom where no one cares. It brings back memories of my childhood, while my dad was qualifying at the range he would have me "dispose" of all the confiscated ammo downrange. Thing is there are some guns that don't really interest me as I didn't know he had them and don't have any memories associated with them. Such is the case here though it seems to be in very good condition I will likely sell it. toward that end I need to know what it is and a ball park worth if possible. I read through several of the other threads related to the 32 ctg and while some were similar none were the same. In addition it has two holsters one with a flap to cover the pistol which is highly tooled the other is from a uniform of some kind, it hangs from a shoulder strap and requires some kind of strap at the upper leg (that or the guy it came from was about a foot taller than me, that would make him seven feet tall). As I see pictures are worth a thousand words I will try to attach several.

many thanks for any help you can offer,
    Attached Images          

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3147 times
    DP, first of all welcome to the forum. I can tell you it is a .32 Regulation Police (Pre-War) built between 1917-1942. It has a six inch barrel which was the least popular of the three options. Your serial number is about in the middle of the range. The grips are pure 1920's decade. And, I suspect are numbered to the gun. My gut says their heyday was about exhuasted in the early 20's.

Waidmann

P.S. The .32 Hand Ejectors both 1903 and the Regulation Police are not generally high dollar items. It is not that unusual to see them in great condition. I suppose a great number have spent four generations in ladies underwear drawers. I bought a similar piece with a 3.25 inch barrel through an on-line auction for $325.00 in the current year. My suggestion is to log on to Gunbroker.com and follow .32 Hand Ejectors for a few weeks. Pay attention to what is attracting bids and selling. Not what is cluttering the screen. If you are a handy navigator you can pull up 90 days of sales history out of their detailed search mechanism.
    Last edited by Waidmann; 11-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    630 times
    that is a "regulation police 32". it appears to have a 6 inch barrel, and it appears to be all original and in nice condition. i'd say it was made in about 1928. (i have one a few thousand serial numbers higher that was made in 1929.) they are relatively common, although a tad more scarce in nickel. the 6 inch barrel is a tad more scarce than other lengths, too, i'd say. i would think you could get $400 for it. that is what i gave for mine a couple of years ago.

a big welcome to the forum, and my thoughts and prayers are with you on the loss of your dad.

ed

Member #
    Liked
    630 times
    sorry for the double info! waidman is a much more efficient typer than me!!!

is typer a word??!!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11981 times
    to the forum from the Wiregrass! That's a very nice nickel Regulation Police. The grips are from the 20's as Bill says, see if there is a number stamped or penciled on the right grip panel. It should match the serial number on the front strap of the handle if they are original to the gun. I like those guns and have a 4 1/4 inch barrel one that belonged to my grandfather. Keep me in mind if you decide to dispose of it.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow thanks guys that really helps. I meant to mention there was no writing under the grips, I had read that in another thread but forgot. I will keep you appraised.

Wiregrass, would that be the Alabama equivalent to Washington's Scotch broom?

and thanks for the warm welcome!
    Doug

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12393 times
    D,
    you can post photos and question of the other non-S&W guns you've inherited. the members here will be able to ell you much more about them than you would ever imagine. Remember this little phrase "We LOVE Guns!" and we mean it too.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11981 times
    would that be the Alabama equivalent to Washington's Scotch broom?
    Not quite. Wiregrass is a tall spindly grass that grows in pine forest. It loves to be burned so it can regrow and spread. Looks like your Scotch broom is a flowering plant...quite beautiful.
    Guy

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    It is beautiful, but it is the 2nd most noxious weed introduced to the west by the Hudson's Bay Company. The first being Himalayan Blackberries. Scotch broom in high pollen output can shut down almost 1/4 of the state, clogs vehicle air intakes (not just the filters) and is highly allergenic. Himalayan blackberries grow everywhere, choke out any native vegetation they compete with, and to top it off, the seeds are so big you can't eat them. Only good for jelly or wine making.

The romanticism of the fur trade era gets pretty quickly washed away if you live where there were H.B.C. trading posts. I was born and raised in western Washington, the Scotch Broom is one of the reasons I couldn't wait to move back to our farm in TN.
    I am NOT totally useless... I make a great bad example.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11981 times
    Scotch broom in high pollen output can shut down almost 1/4 of the state, clogs vehicle air intakes (not just the filters) and is highly allergenic.
    You should be in Atlanta during high pollen season. The air is yellow-green and so are all the cars, clothes, dogs,...you get the picture. We have heavy pollen here, but not like up there.
    Guy

Links