+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Grandad's Old S&W Revolver

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Grandad's Old S&W Revolver

New to the forum, and hope someone can give me some info on my Grandad's old S&W revolver. The story goes that he kept in the bottom drawer of his restaruant's cash register in Oklahoma City back in the 1930's.

Caliber: .38 S&W CTG
    Serial Number: 444xxx
    Double Action 5 shot Revolver

PAT'D MAY 11, 1880 JAN 3, 1882 APRIL 9 1889 on top of barrel

The cylinder spins freely, and does not lock into place to fire.

What is the possibility of getting this old heirloom repaired? I know it's old, and may have to have parts machined.
    Can it be refinished with the nickel plating?
    Any idea of value as is? Repaired & refinished?
    No thought of selling it, just curious.

S&W customer suggested contacting an individual named Dave Chicoine. Anyone know anything about him or someone else who might repair this?

Also have questions about a Model 10 I picked up last weekend. I'll post those questions in the post-1945 forum.

Thanks!

Name:  IMG_1141.jpg
Views: 4384
Size:  94.2 KBName:  IMG_1143.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  95.3 KBName:  IMG_1083.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  95.8 KB
    scott and REL like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12138 times
    Can it be repaired & renickeled? Yes. Parts might be available through www.gunpartscorp.com. Value varies w/ location but as is in my area about the same as a good steak dinner for 2. Value restored would be about double that. It can't be safely fired anymore so it becomes a collecter piece or keepsake... since it was your Grandads I'd make a nice frame for it & hang it on the wall as is to remember Grandpa by. If you want it restored Dave Chicone & Doug Turnbull both come highly reccommended although I've never used either one myself. If you get it restored post and 'after' picture, we love seeing great old guns.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12007 times
    For Chicoine to refinish it in Nickel will cost roughly $350. Repairs will run somewhere between $200-400 depending on what needs to be done with the internals. I asked for similar services a short while ago from them, so these prices will be very close to reality. Lead time is roughly 3-4 months after they've received it in. Chicoine's is the best there is for work like this. If you decide to restore this pistol you will never regret having the work done, but the cost involved will never be recovered if you decide to sell it later. To restore it, you're easily looking in the neighborhood of $500+
    The decision is yours.

I'm with Injunbro on the idea of putting it in some form of display case, and showing it off that way.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks Injunbro and Gearchecker. I really appreciate the information and advice!
    Costwise looks like the frame retirement may be the best route, but . . . . . . you never know.

Thanks again!

Ken

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    That is a nice looking s&w top break revolver.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1374 times
    Very cool gun!
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    That IS a cool gun!! I'd do the frame thing too.

Member #
    Liked
    2772 times
    Put it on the back burner till you gradually get the spare cash to have it done right. Will you recover the cost? No you will not. It will however be something to continue to pass on. Future family generations will say thanks.
    When I was young my Mother told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Turns out the police call that 'Identity Theft.'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11655 times
    Also, Accurate Plating and Weaponry in Newville, AL does this type of work. I have my granddad's .32 Regulation Police in with them for refinishing. Then, I'm going to put it in a shadowbox because the action is too messed up to repair affordably. It would have cost me more than the gun is worth to have it repaired.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

What now, guys?

I sent the gun to Dave Chicoine on Aug 16, 2012, paid in advance for the repair work, and haven't got it back yet.
    He said it would take three to five months, and it has now been eleven months.
    In late November, 2012 he told me the delay was due to his case coloring contractor in CT being impacted by the hurricane.
    On March 20, 2013 he said he got the case colored part back, and just needed to reassemble and test fire.
    On April 25, 2013 he sent me copies of x-rays of an injured hand, saying it would be 4 to 6 weeks before he could do anything.
    On May 9, 2013 he said he should get the cast off the first week of June, and that July 1 would be "a safe bet" as to when I would have the gun back.
    Last weekend he said the injury recovery had been much slower than he had hoped, but did not respond to my request for a firm date when I would get the gun back.
    Phone calls and left messages to his shop and office today have not been returned.
    Anyone know anything about his (or his son's) hand injury? Ever had any problems getting a gun back?
    Thanks.

Links