+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Questions on Pre Model 28 (5" barrel)??

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Questions on Pre Model 28 (5" barrel)??

I acquired a pre model 28 yesterday, s/n S 1197XX. The gun has matching numbers on the grip frame, ejector rod window and cylinder. The gun is a five screw frame with significant finish wear, possibly gun coated?? Pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. 38/357 caliber. No original grips or box/paperwork. Here is the kicker, the barrel measures 5 inches from end to face of cylinder. I have/still own numerous N frames with 4, 6 and 6 1/2 and 8 3/8 barrels. I am sure this is a factory 5 inch barrel and is marked 357 ctg highway patrolman with the symbol between and the serial number matches as stated earlier. I have seen this on Model 27's but I can find no reference to a 5" pre 28 five screw or 28. Any help for year produced or the strange barrel length would be appreciated. Sergeant206

PICTURES POSTED SATURDAY 08/04/12
    Last edited by sergeant206; 08-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11534 times
    That one is a strange one indeed. It may warrant a letter from S&W to find out how it was shipped from the factory.
    Would love to see some pictures.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    603 times
    Pix would help. Seems I have heard that the Florida Highway Patrol issued 28's at one time. They always had a fondness for the 5" bbl. If so, this could be a refinished issue weapon, but it would have FHP and a number stamped on the left side of the frame under the cylinder. My other thoughts are possibly a cut-down 6" (for whatever reason) or a special order from the factory. As I have always heard, "nothing is impossible, especially with S & W". Bill.

Member #
    Liked
    9268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wewaslim View Post
    Pix would help. Seems I have heard that the Florida Highway Patrol issued 28's at one time. They always had a fondness for the 5" bbl. If so, this could be a refinished issue weapon, but it would have FHP and a number stamped on the left side of the frame under the cylinder. My other thoughts are possibly a cut-down 6" (for whatever reason) or a special order from the factory. As I have always heard, "nothing is impossible, especially with S & W". Bill.
    Let me add some confirmation to your comment on FHP's issue of the N-frame 357. I had a very close friend on the FHP, he was my best man when Mrs. Triplelock and I tied the knot, anyway in the midst of the model-66 issuance when there was an issue with the cylinder binding when fired in fast double action shooting, he was reissued an N-frame, and as I recall it was a dull nickled finish. I seem to recall it was a five inch, but when he carried his original Colt Trooper (same lockwork as the Python) it was a nickel 5 inch gun made specifically for the FHP. So your right about FHP liking the 5 inch barrel. The standard catalog says S&W made some 5-inch nickel Highway Patrolmans for the FHP (25 guns), serial number range
    S-189071 - S192687. I was carrying a five inch nickel model-27-2 at the time and remember kidding him about finally getting a good revolver.

Hank

Member #
    Liked
    7780 times
    OHHHH, pictures please!!!!
    We love a good mystery, especially when it involves a 5 screw N frame with an odd barrel length and i have a liking for HPs to boot!
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You guys may have to guide me in how to post pics. I am very limited in computer knowledge where pics are concerned. Thanks for info so far and keep it coming. I don't think this is a cut down, looks too right to me, front sight and all. What is entailed in a factory letter, does it give configuration? Thanks, Sergeant206

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant206 View Post
    You guys may have to guide me in how to post pics. I am very limited in computer knowledge where pics are concerned. Thanks for info so far and keep it coming. I don't think this is a cut down, looks too right to me, front sight and all. What is entailed in a factory letter, does it give configuration? Thanks, Sergeant206
    This may help: Firearm History Request - Smith & Wesson

Here is a copy of the Letter on my Pre-28
    Name:  Pre 28 Letter0001.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  91.3 KBName:  Pre 28 Letter0002.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  88.3 KB
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    603 times

5" 28

If it's a Florida Highway Patrol issue weapon, it will be marked like this one. Name:  pix809928906.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  23.9 KB
    1911 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Amazing picture, my brother is going to help me load some pics fri or sat. Thanks for all the info and I think a letter will be in order. I called S&W and they are closed till the 10th or so. As far as the FHP numbers I dont see anything but I think the gun coat could cover that if thats what it is coated with. You will see when I get the pics up. Thanks to all, Sergeant206
    " To The Sunny Slopes Of Long Ago"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here are the pics, any and all help much appreciated.

Name:  DSC02790.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  93.6 KBName:  DSC02791.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  90.0 KBName:  DSC02792.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  DSC02796.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  93.5 KBName:  DSC02797.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  83.4 KB