+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Requesting Info on a S&W .32 long ctg....

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Requesting Info on a S&W .32 long ctg....

Hi Everyone I am new to this forum and of course have a question. Thank you in advance for any input you may have.
    I have a S&W .32 long ctg revolver. It is black with wood grips. The barrel length is 3.25. The Barrel states Pat Feb 8 08, Sept. 14 09, Dec. 22 14. Bottom of wood grips state pat June 5 1917. The S&W trade mark is on the left side of the pistol behind the trigger. The serial num. under the rod is B 4411??. Serial Num on butt with grips removed is 4411??. The numbers 72512 appear in the revolver compartment under the barrel in two spots. Any info on age ect.. would be great.
    The condition of the gun appears to be good. No pitting, no rust, one side of grip is a bit worn at top but inlay on both sides appear not worn. The sides of the barrel and revolver cylinder appear faded in comparison to the rest of the pistol. A approx. value would be great. I know without a pic it is hard and i will try to get one on here if necessary.
    Also what ammo can i use and what ammo should I not use of this caliber in this pistol. I have read that sometimes modern ammo should not be used in older guns. Thank you again.
    Peace!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3308 times
    Hello WMJ and welcome. Sounds like you have a .32 Regulation Police. But as they say a picture is......... 4411XX seems high for a serial number, is it actually 6 digits? If it is a RP the serial is on the forward part of the grip frame and can be read with the grips mounted. Is there a step in the grips frame rear? The patent date and wood on the bottom pretty much indicates a RP. Do your grips have gold medallions (1915-1920), no medallions (1920s) or silver medallions (1930-WWII)? .32 Regulation Police models are not so marked, only the 5 shot .38 S&Ws are.

I am on a break and working from memory, hopefully someone with references will happen along soon.

Waidmann
    wmjake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I know these pics are not the best quality. The serial number is 4411?? from the butt stock. It is only viewable if you remove the hand grips as the wood grips wrap the bottom. It does match the one on the barrel however the barrel has a B then the 4411??. There is no emblem on the grip.
    Name:  S&W.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  87.4 KBName:  S&W3.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  88.0 KBName:  S&W2.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  86.9 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3308 times
    Name:  pix277751381.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  59.8 KBOkay, its looks RP, the grips are 1920's, the tiny B is for blued. The barrel, cylinder and frame should match. These are the serial no., the others, frame recess, crane and inside the side plate are assembly numbers, they should match but otherwise have no value. I have two RPs one teens, the other 1920s, both have the serial no. exposed, above the tensioning screw, on the innerside of the grip frame.

1903 Hand Ejectors with the more conventional grips and no step in the back have their serial no.s on the bottom. There are occassionally weird things at play. Do your grips rest into a step cut into the grip frame? Or, if your grip contour is smooth is there evidence the grips were relieved inside to accommdate the frame. In other words do you a) have an RP stamped in the wrong location or b) a 1903 HE wearing modified RP grips or c) something else?

What I am seeing is a 1921 or later Regulation Police. Pics with grips off? front, rear and bottom? In honesty I don't think the value is particularly affected. A fair number of no logo RPs were made. For the record .32 RP and 1903 HE share the same serialization, so that's no help. In the condition of your piece I don't see one exceeding the other in price either.

I would however care to solve your riddle. If no one else chimes in I'll check the book and post what I find this evening.

Added after consulting the SCSW: If the actual serial number is 4411XX I can not say anything but it's in the 1911-1942 range. The MADE IN U.S.A. on the right side of the frame narrows to 1921 or later and is an assurrance of a sort that it has a heat treated cylinder. The Standard Catalog concurs that an RP has the serial on the front tang.

W.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Waidmann; 06-25-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  95.5 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  86.1 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  89.1 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  92.9 KB

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The first pic shows the front of the grip frame. There is no serial number there and no indication it was worn off and yes this is exposed with the grips on. The last pic shows the bottom of the grip frame with the serial number stamp on it. this is not exposed when the grips are on as they cover it. The rear of the frame grip is exposed with grips on and nothing is marked there. The grips fit nicely on the frame and appear factory cut to fit the frame with no noticeable modifications.
    The holster seems to be made for this pistol and any info on that would be appreciated also. Value age ect...
    What is your opinion on the condition of the pistol?
    What is an approximate value on the pistol and holster?
    And what kind of ammo should I use and not use?

Your help with this has been tremendous and thank you.

If you need more pics or anything let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    2511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wmjake View Post
    And what kind of ammo should I use and not use?
    William,
    Welcome to the site! Your pictures are a bit fuzzy.

First, the history (and police use) of the early hand ejector (HE) .32 really started the future success of S&W. Then came the .38. So, the .32 is under-appreciated in today's market due to the .38's better stopping power.

I think your HE is the 3rd model of 1903 or maybe the .32 Regulation Police (RP) Pre-War. It's going to be the same price. The 3rd was eventually the Model 30 while the RP went to be a Model 31.

what kind of ammo should I use?
    That is easy. You use the .32 S&W Long. Use the least available "load". If you know guns, you know this revolver needs a complete cleaning and the proper inspection? The action should be tight and no pits in the cylinders or barrel.

The outside condition is fair. The blueing is highly worn. It looks to me that it has been in that holster for a long time. Do not store it in a holster.

The inside is more important. Do you have a "feeler gauge"? After you check the condition of the inside of the cylinder and barrel, you need to check the cylinder to barrel specs. They should within specs on each cylinder (no wobble). What did you find?

The holster is obviously newer than the S&W. Does it have markings on it? Some are rare.

If everything checks out, I am going with $300-$500 for the revolver and holster.

I like the Model 30 and 31 .32 S&W Long. Here is a Model 30 (nickel) and a Model 31 (both with correct stocks and great shooters):
    Srdean likes this.
    S&W K-frames and N-frames and a few 1911 Colts

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3308 times
    I concur.

W.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Waid and 1911.
    So are you guys thinking that the wood grips are not original?
    BTW the holster has no markings and thank you for the input on storage. I kinda figured that the blueing was caused by that. Ill have it checked out and cant wait to enjoy it at the rage.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am also new to this forum. I logged on [ironically] to find some info about my old RP as well. Mine has a checkered grips with gold medallions. The gun is a " family" gun that has just set around for years.The checkering on the right grip is worn down to almost smooth and the bluing has been gone for quite a long time as well., i would just like to get an approximate age of the gun. The serial number is 296[and what may be a "square?" dash mark] 98 so 296-98 or the dash mark could be a 7 so 296798 and the serial number is not on the bottom of the grip frame but on the inner reach of the grip frame behind the trigger guard. Inside the hand eject housing the numbers B153 or B155 appear [ hard to read] . Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. After closer inspection i found this number on the cylinder 296198.
    Last edited by cabrackhahn; 06-27-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Links