+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for info on a S&W .38 revolver

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Looking for info on a S&W .38 revolver

Brand new to the gun world, but I just inherited a S&W .38 revolver from my wifes grandfather who was a rent-a-cop back in the 70's. Looking to find a model, age, value, and what's the best ammo. Serial # 3032XXName:  IMG_1752.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  96.8 KBName:  IMG_1753.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  94.2 KBName:  IMG_1758.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  96.3 KBName:  IMG_1764.jpg
Views: 2922
Size:  91.6 KB
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13430 times
    First off, Welcome to the forum

This revolver dates back to the very late 1800's or early 1900's. It certainly wasn't carried by your grandpa during his time as a rent-a-cop.
    I'm doing this without the catalog in front of me, so I may be off by a model or two. It's a Smith and Wesson 38 DA 2nd model . It's in what's known as a S&W 38 short. If you are considering shooting it you must be absolutly certain to buy ammo specifically made for this type of revolver, or you may very well ending up blowing up the revolver, and quite possibly your hands.
    The revolver was not made with hardened steel parts and must only use a low powered round, or it's very dangerous.
    The approximate value for your revolver would be somewhere around $200-250. Regional prices vary greatly all across the country.

There will be more members chiming in shortly I'm sure

I have the same revolver in Blued finish with a 3" barrel and I paid $150 for it about 2 months ago. Because your's is in nickel finish and looks pretty good, I'll value your's slightly above what mine is worth. If you're interested in selling it let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 05-14-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    4872 times
    Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Gearchecker, thanks for the info. Not really interested in selling. Just want to shoot. Can you recommend a specific ammo? I understnd there are low power/low pressure types of ammo, but the Gander Mountain site doesn't specify that in the description. Don't want to make a mistake on this one.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1541 times
    bille,
    Nice old S&W top break. I haven't seen one with those type of extension stocks. If original to the gun they may add some extra value. As Gearchecker said, it is chambered for the old S&W 38, which is shorter than the 38 special. Remington is the most common brand found and while they are mild loads you may want to have that old gun checked over by a good gun smith before you take it out to shoot. I have two old 38 S&W top breaks and two in .32 S&W (see my avatar) that I shoot on occasion. Started out with the Remington factory stuff which I now reload with Trail Boss powder and 158 gr lead cast bullets. They are fun to shoot! Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
    John
    Last edited by timetripper; 05-15-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    gearchecker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks John, you're the second guy that suggested I have it checked out first by a gunsmith and I am definitely going to take that advice

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13430 times
    Bille,
    I shoot loads made by a local ammo builder. He builds this ammo to the exact same pressure and bullet specs as the original S&W 38 shorts.
    Your pistol is really designed to shoot lead unplated bullets. I love my little shooter so I'v never tried any jacketed ammo in it.
    My ammo costs me $25.00 per box of 50 rounds, so it's comparable in cost to some of the factory ammo currently on the market.
    These little shooter are so much fun to shoot, you'll be totally amazed why they aren't still being built. Your's had the longer 5 or 6" barrel so it'll be quite accurate. Mine shoots 3-4" groups at 10 yds and that pretty good for a 100 year old pocket revolver. The Remington factory ammo is 100% trustworthy in your pistol. Go around to all of the local gun shops and find out who carries it, then buy a couple boxes. You'll be all set up for a weekend of fun.
    I now own 4 S&W breaktop revolvers and I'm keeping them all too.

One last note. DO NOT use any cleaners with ammonia in them on your revolver, like Hoppe's gun cleaner or Brasso. They both have ammonia in them, and it's very bad for nickel finish. Ammonia causes the plating to seperate from the base metal.
    Look carefully for a gun cleaner that has no ammonia in it. If in doubt, ask a local gun dealer what to clean it with that won't do any harm to the plating.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Called the Dam Road Gun Shop in Delavan, WI and I'm going to take it over for a checkup. Thanks for the great advice. Can't wait to try it out.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    BTW, talked to my wife and she swears that Gramps claimed to have used this weapon while on duty at the bank.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1541 times
    BTW, talked to my wife and she swears that Gramps claimed to have used this weapon while on duty at the bank.
    Anythings possible. I was at an estate sale last fall that featured an old Colt 1877 DA Frontier revolver with a 7 in barrel. 44-40 cal I think. While talking to a relative of the estate it came out that the deceased's father worked as a guard at the local bank. His job consisted of sitting by the door with the monstrous old old Colt in prominent view, and holding the door open for customers. Wouldn't have stopped the likes of Dillinger but it kept the honest folks honest.
    John

Links