Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Need help identifying!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Forester 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I had this pistol passed down after my Grandfather passed away when I was around 8 and have asked several people about it and cannot get a definite answer. It is a Smith & Wesson .32 Long CTG. Serial number on the bottom of the butt: 3304xx. Number behind revolver: 56138. Number on bottom of barrel is same as the serial number: 3304xx. On top of the barrel is: SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A. PATENTED FEB 6 06 SEPT 14 08 DEC 23 14. Thinking probably early 1900's? Also has gold hammer, trigger, piece which is part of the revolver, and the piece which you push to get the revolver to flip out to the left. 6 shot, counter-clockwise revolver rotation. What looks to be a black pearl grips. I have no idea on what model number it would be and tried many different sites and forums trying to find out. Any help would be thankful!
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Material property Revolver

Revolver Auto part

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi jnp and welcome to the forum.

Your family heirloom (Grand Dad's Gun) .32 Hand Ejector should be a prize for you and your family........."Grand Pa's Gun" is a very cool thing to have.

Your Grand Dad or possibly some other previous owner thought enough of that revlover to have done some customizing to it. The faux black pearl grips look quite nice on the nickle finish (I would suspect a refinished nickle plating, but it's hard to tell from a photo) that's offset by the aftermarket gold plated hammer, trigger, extractor and cylinder latch.

Indeed, "Grand Pa" (or another previous owner) slicked that baby up and created a pretty piece (some would call it a "BBQ Gun".......a fancy gun to take to the BBQ).

Heirlooms like that are priceless to the families they come from, but unfortunetely most collectors prefer guns that remain original to the factory manufactured configuration. On the other hand, the customizing can be even more important to the family because it can reflect some of the individual personality of your Grandfather.

Do you intend to shoot it?

Thanks for sharing it with us and Best Regards,

Geezer

#8 ·
Thanks for the information Oldgungeezer! Yeah it is very prized to me, been taken good care of over the years. From what I can tell, I do not really know for sure if it has been refinished or not but as far as I know, it has not. It is one of them things that I could not let go of no matter what the price because as you said it is a cool thing to have and is worth more in sentimental value. I have shot it in the past, probably 18 times and I just really do not want to shoot it too much, I just like getting it out and looking at it, shinning it up, and putting it back in the gun cabinet and that pretty much satisfies me knowing that it is there and what it means. Thanks for your reply buddy!

#6 ·
I love that model. It's quite the fun revolver to shoot. Ammo is pretty hard to come by. Once you find a supplier for it, make sure they know you and ask them to keep a few boxes in stock for you, if they will.

Enjoy!

Gearchecker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.