+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Which would you choose , S&W or Colt ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10807 times

Which would you choose , S&W or Colt ?

If all else were equal ( condition and price ) which would you choose and why .... Model 1917 U S Army S&W .45 or same in the Colt ?

I don't know much about either one .

Assume it will be bought to be a shooter .

Regards ,
    George
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Member #
    Liked
    9530 times
    Although I like the Colt New Service, it doesn't lend itself to double action shooting as well as the Smith-N frame, for me specifically. The reach from grip to the trigger is longer than the S&W and the Smith double action is better IMHO. Now I'll venture in to unkown waters but I think the early Colt 1917's had the cylinder bored straight through; no shoulder as in the S&W, and this allowed the S&W to fire the rimless cartridge without the 3 round steel spring clip, while the Colt would be a maybe thing. As both 1917's were made to be fighting handguns I give the nod to the S&W because of the better barrel control due to its smoother double action. That said the New Service was a robust and accurate revolver but most of my shooting with the Colt NS was single action and it shined in that format. . .Good question George.

Hank
    Last edited by Triplelock; 02-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    timetripper and Oldgungeezer like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1403 times
    I'd buy the Colt, but only because I already have an S&W. I've only handled the Colt 1917 on occasion at gun shows and they seem to not handle as well but that may only be my lack of familiarity with them. If I had both then I'd be able to give you a better assessment. I'm interested in hearing what others say.
    John
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7788 times
    I do not know enough about Colt revolvers to make an honest answer or to base an opinion on.
    I do believe the majority of problems facing a S&W owner can be cured at home with $15.00 worth of parts.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    1572 times
    For current collecting/price, I'd take the Colt as there is a demand for them. However, if I were selecting a revovler for using/shooting, etc., without question I'd choose the S&W. I think the Colt is a fine revolver, but it simply is not as well thought out as is the S&W N-Frame 1917 revolver. It is not nearly as well set up for either single or double action shooting. In my experience, it seems to me that Colt revolvers are less durable, that they shoot loose quicker. If I were buying with an eye to resale, etc. and if the price of either revolver were below market, I'd buy the Colt expecting that later on I'd be able to sell it at a profit. But for use, etc., there is no question I'd buy the S&W. Again, this is only my opinion. HTH. Sincerely. brucev.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3233 times
    I have one New Service. I have several old N-frames. A New Service is a pain to operate SA or DA.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4516 times
    Having owned both, I prefer the S&W.

Better esthetics, smoother double action trigger, lighter, better sights yada, yada, yada.

But...I don't look down on them folks what's partial to Col. Colt's creation.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    2776 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    Having owned both, I prefer the S&W.

Better esthetics, smoother double action trigger, lighter, better sights yada, yada, yada.

But...I don't look down on them folks what's partial to Col. Colt's creation.
    +1 The S&W is also much stronger mechanically.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    When I was young my Mother told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Turns out the police call that 'Identity Theft.'

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12531 times
    I would choose the S&W. I still prefer to shoot DA, and there's not a better action in DA than my Smith's.
    I owned a Python and it lacked the smoothness of the trigger, but it did have an excellent trigger break. I always knew exactly when the hammer would drop.
    And lastly I don't have a S&W 45 revolver yet. I'd need it for my collection

Regards,
    Gregory
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    East Valley, east of Phoenix, AZ. and Sometimes, New Mexico
    Liked
    4478 times
    That's a really good question George and one can't help but to note the interesting answers.

Like many forum members, I too am a fan of the caliber and revolvers (in general). Both S&W and Colt make high quality products. Hence, we appreciate 1917 Model wheelguns.

I've owned and shot both versions. Currently I own two S&W Model 1917's, one with a shortened barrel and one that's been nickle plated. I've chosen to stick with those two particular revolvers because of all the positive handling/shooting attributes mentioned above. I do not presently own a 1917 Colt. I have nothing negative to say about the Colt version, but strongly prefer the Smith's.

I would definately not hesitate to buy a Colt 1917 if the "right deal" came along and I'd probably occasionally shoot it (having fun in the process), but I'd view it pretty much as a "collector" and an "investment" piece. On the other hand, to me my two Smith 1917's are carry guns, working guns and "shooters" (they're both modified too)......indeed, they are also a sound investment, but I emphasize, they are my "shooters" because they work better for me and I didn't buy them for the purpose of investment. I bought them to shoot and carry.

To me, S&W 1917's are better pointers, superior double action trigger pulls and just plain feel better in my hands.

That's just my subjective personal perspective and although I have a gun collection, I'm not really a gun collector (only by default because I like them so dang much).........it's more of a shooter mentality, then a collector mentality.

I'll betcha there are many of us that see things similarly..........

Now, if we talk to a real dyed-in-the-wool, stereo typical, "Collector" of both S&W's and Colt's.......we may get enlightening comments........then again, maybe not.......chuckle

Regards All,

Geezer
    Triplelock likes this.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"..........George Orwell

Links