Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By gearchecker
  • 2 Post By Bob K

Thread: S&W k 22 year and value

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

S&W k 22 year and value

I have a 6" .22 lr five screw. diamond grips Is it an outdoorsman, k22' or what? Any idea on year of manufacture. Any info is appreciated, also what is the value in 98%. I am looking to sell it. Thanks. Serial number on bottom of grip frame is k240xx

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The serial number has the k about 5 spaces to the left of the numbers and the address line reads "made in u.s.a." thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11604 times
    Sounds like you have a Pre-Model 17 K22. Left the Factory in 1948.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5455 times
    Sounds nice. Pictures?

Member #
    East Valley, east of Phoenix, AZ. and Sometimes, New Mexico
    Liked
    4342 times
    Hello and welcome............I'd like to see it too.

Best Regards,

Geezer
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"..........George Orwell

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    5912 times
    Sounds like a nice K-22 Masterpiece.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12477 times
    Superlifer03,

This will be a bit winded as is usual for many of my posts. But there's much to be learned from the simple words and suggestions laid before you here.

This is for you, and anybody else thinking about selling a gun or more. I've bought and sold nearly 50 guns in the past 2 years, so I have a little real world experience to share. I am by no means an expert, but I'm willing to help others go thru it more easily than I did at first.

Deciding to sell a gun is a pretty serious matter, and you need to be certain of what you're going to be required to do, before you list it for sale.

I'll start out telling you it's a pretty shaky guess for any of us to tell you what it's worth. Is it an heirloom, where you think it's more valuable to you than most buyers would consider? Gun buyers are buying the gun and its real value. If the gun has a real verifiable history of significance, it'll add value; otherwise it's just another gun in its class. Most buyers have little concern for your personal connections to a particular gun.

There are strong regional and availability differences, causing huge fluctuations in pricing.
    Condition is King. On average your k-22 is worth probably somewhere in the $450-$750 range. It could go higher if the right person is looking to add that particular model to a collection.

Selling anything on any of the forums I know of requires a fixed selling price to be stated in the listing.
    If your pricing is going to be "FIRM" you'd better state that in your listing. Will you ship it to somebody outside of your state?
    That requires and FFL dealer and they must ship the revolver to another FFL dealer to be picked up by the buyer.
    Who's going to pay for all the transfer and/or shipping and insurance fees? You, the buyer? Or will you split between the two of you?
    Is it legal in your state to sell a gun directly to another resident of your state or local municipality? Or is a pistol permit and a gun transfer along with a waiting period required? You need to have a reasonable idea of what's required ahead of time.

There's no forum that I know of will allow an "Auction" type listing stating "best offer" or "Name your Price", or anything similar.
    If you want to sell it in that fashion, there's gunbroker.com or your local penny listing rag.
    Gunbroker is an auction site and has listing fees for every listing.
    Once you have an idea what its worth to you, then you can write up a listing in the classifieds here or on most any other forum.

Some forums require a minimum of "meaningful" postings before you can put up a listing. That way the site isn't being used for the sole purpose of selling items. I prefer forums that have a reasonable set of rules like that.
    It shows the forum cares about their regular members, and wants to shield them from the fly by night member dropping in to make a quick buck of the regular members, and never to be seen again.

To give you n\an idea of how it can go, I just sold 6 of my guns on a few of the forums across the web.

I shipped 5 of them to the buyers thru my FFL dealer.
    I paid all the fees on my end, the buyer pays for the fees on their end.
    Of the 6 guns I sold, only 2 got me the full asking price (With shipping paid by the buyer).
    One buyer bought two of my rifles in the same transaction, both guns at a discounted price (But I sold them, and that was my goal).
    I listed a particular S&W revolver in 99% condition, with the box, for $900 plus shipping and insurance (You can find the listing here if you look for it). It included a quality pistol scope and all the mounting hardware. I had 3 low ball offers that I declined. A prospective buyer contacted me, and asked if he could buy just the revolver, without the scope and mounts. He offered me a lower $750 price as well. I accepted his offer of $750 for the revolver, and I agreed to pay the shipping on my end. I sold it! That was my goal, and I achieved what I needed at the end of the day.

There's always a little give and take that comes with selling a gun. The buyer wants you to do the giving, and you want their money for the taking.
    Go slow, do your homework, and I wish you and every other gun seller the best they can get for their offerings.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 02-08-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    grasshopper, Murphy2000 and K22 like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2967 times
    Thanks, Greg......I think that you said what needs to be said about selling guns on the forum. Too many people ask "What's it worth?".....then put it in the classified (or elsewhere) for an excessively high price. They seem to think of our group as....old, stupid, and willing to pay top dollar for S&W's. They never intend to be an active member......they just join to sell their gun(s).....and are never heard from again! They often don't set a price......hoping to snag a high bidder! Maybe it's OK with the other members, who might want that particular gun. I think that, if you are truly a S&W enthusiast, you join to learn from other members about S&W's......not to make a few bucks! Bob
    blitzen25cat and Murphy2000 like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

K22
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    693 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    Superlifer03,

This will be a bit winded as is usual for many of my posts. But there's much to be learned from the simple words and suggestions laid before you here.

This is for you, and anybody else thinking about selling a gun or more. I've bought and sold nearly 50 guns in the past 2 years, so I have a little real world experience to share. I am by no means an expert, but I'm willing to help others go thru it more easily than I did at first.

Deciding to sell a gun is a pretty serious matter, and you need to be certain of what you're going to be required to do, before you list it for sale.

I'll start out telling you it's a pretty shaky guess for any of us to tell you what it's worth. Is it an heirloom, where you think it's more valuable to you than most buyers would consider? Gun buyers are buying the gun and its real value. If the gun has a real verifiable history of significance, it'll add value; otherwise it's just another gun in its class. Most buyers have little concern for your personal connections to a particular gun.

There are strong regional and availability differences, causing huge fluctuations in pricing.
    Condition is King. On average your k-22 is worth probably somewhere in the $450-$750 range. It could go higher if the right person is looking to add that particular model to a collection.

Selling anything on any of the forums I know of requires a fixed selling price to be stated in the listing.
    If your pricing is going to be "FIRM" you'd better state that in your listing. Will you ship it to somebody outside of your state?
    That requires and FFL dealer and they must ship the revolver to another FFL dealer to be picked up by the buyer.
    Who's going to pay for all the transfer and/or shipping and insurance fees? You, the buyer? Or will you split between the two of you?
    Is it legal in your state to sell a gun directly to another resident of your state or local municipality? Or is a pistol permit and a gun transfer along with a waiting period required? You need to have a reasonable idea of what's required ahead of time.

There's no forum that I know of will allow an "Auction" type listing stating "best offer" or "Name your Price", or anything similar.
    If you want to sell it in that fashion, there's gunbroker.com or your local penny listing rag.
    Gunbroker is an auction site and has listing fees for every listing.
    Once you have an idea what its worth to you, then you can write up a listing in the classifieds here or on most any other forum.

Some forums require a minimum of "meaningful" postings before you can put up a listing. That way the site isn't being used for the sole purpose of selling items. I prefer forums that have a reasonable set of rules like that.
    It shows the forum cares about their regular members, and wants to shield them from the fly by night member dropping in to make a quick buck of the regular members, and never to be seen again.

To give you n\an idea of how it can go, I just sold 6 of my guns on a few of the forums across the web.

I shipped 5 of them to the buyers thru my FFL dealer.
    I paid all the fees on my end, the buyer pays for the fees on their end.
    Of the 6 guns I sold, only 2 got me the full asking price (With shipping paid by the buyer).
    One buyer bought two of my rifles in the same transaction, both guns at a discounted price (But I sold them, and that was my goal).
    I listed a particular S&W revolver in 99% condition, with the box, for $900 plus shipping and insurance (You can find the listing here if you look for it). It included a quality pistol scope and all the mounting hardware. I had 3 low ball offers that I declined. A prospective buyer contacted me, and asked if he could buy just the revolver, without the scope and mounts. He offered me a lower $750 price as well. I accepted his offer of $750 for the revolver, and I agreed to pay the shipping on my end. I sold it! That was my goal, and I achieved what I needed at the end of the day.

There's always a little give and take that comes with selling a gun. The buyer wants you to do the giving, and you want their money for the taking.
    Go slow, do your homework, and I wish you and every other gun seller the best they can get for their offerings.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Great post, thanks for the insight! Wow!

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Well said!
    It's no sin to be poor, just damned inconvenient!

Links