+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Strange to me S&W 38 2nd Model Help identify

I believe this old acquisition is a Top Break 2nd Model S&W. Top of barrel stamped "Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass. USA Ptd Jan 17, 1865, Jan 24, 1865, Jul 11, 1865, Aug 24, 1869, Jan 19, 1875, REISSUE Jul 25, 1871 There is no side S&W stamp. Serial # 69XX on cylinder, latch and barrel catch. No ser# on handle. Grips standard hard rubber. I have never seen this specific trigger guard/trigger set up. That is what confuses me. The action is tight and there is very little wear. Half cock rotates cylinder freely. The expected main hammer flat spring has been replaced with a coil spring, I believe. I have been able to very specifically identify my other early Smith's, but this one has me confused, perplexed and befuddled.
    Attached Images      

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I seem to have stumped the real pro's on here. Doesn't anyone have a clue? Could someone have tacked on a different action to an early #2? The trigger guard is integral to the frame, the coil spring has definitely been added. The frame is a perfect fit to the barrel. The trigger and guard is what doesn't appear standard to anything I can find.

No ideas at all? JJB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9818 times
    The only thing I am coming up with that has those dates stamped on the top of the barrel is the .32 Frame Single Action ( model number one-and-a half ) and the numbers are exactly as you give them ending in reissue July 25,1871.

The Serial # range from 1-92574.

Maybe you have yourself a reworked, rebored ,homegrown gunsmith special that started life as a .32 Frame Single Action ( a.k.a. Model One-and-a-Half Centerfire ).

That's my guess which ain't worth much.

Good Luck.

Regards,

FlaRon

Infor derived from page 76 Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    John Adams, July 17, 1775

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    East Valley, east of Phoenix, AZ. and Sometimes, New Mexico
    Liked
    4817 times
    I'm certainly no expert and I'm "Stumped"...........?????...........I've never seen a trigger guard like that on a S&W.

Hopefully, one of our resident experts will recognize this top break and chime in with some good information.........we'll all learn something.

Ron makes a good point.......could this be an early "Frankengun" with a S&W barrel?

Sorry for being unable to help.

Regards,

Geezer
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"..........George Orwell

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3303 times
    I agree with your .38 SA 2nd thinking. I suppose a prototype of some sort, using an existing platform.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12653 times
    This one absolutly cries out for a letter from Roy Jenks!!!
    It may be the only way to know what it truly is.
    I was thinking a model 2 as well, but that trigger guard is really throwing a wrench into the works.
    For $50 you'll know more about that break top then most of us can figure out combined.

Best wishes on this quest.
    Please be sure to let us know how it ends!

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have, I believe, figured this S&W out. During the Super Bowl half time show (totally dislike Madonna), I went into my gun room and pulled out another #2 that I have to compare the two. The second #2 is in almost unfired condition. A side by side confirmed the appearance of a #2 but the trigger guard was different and the welded in coil mainspring also.

I then used a ten power magnifier w/ light. I could see a VERY good weld done by someone with real skills. The trigger guard is welded onto a #2. The front was welded and then the weld was beautifully radiused to flow into the frame as if it were cast or machined. The back of the guard was welded to the end of the protective tabs on either side and back of the spur trigger. Again it was beautifully done. The trigger had a 3/16th extension welded on to make it more useable. Totally functional and impossible to see without magnification.
    Who ever did this was very good. Factory experiment? I think a $50 letter will be worth it. The trigger guard pistol (ser 69xx) has a decent finish for an old gun but does not come close to the high polish of my best (ser 48,5xx)#2.

Thanks for your help, Folks! Now I need to try to remember where I got this abberation.
    Last edited by fergusflash; 02-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12653 times
    If you ever decide to sell it, look me up!
    You might have a buyer for it already. It's too cool!

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5594 times
    Good lookin' "Frankengun".
    "Parts-is-parts".

Links