+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimg11

Thread: An M&P in 38 Long Colt???

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

An M&P in 38 Long Colt???

Until today I was down to a lonley Model 66 ... not now!

I got what appears to be an M&P and the caliber by all checks and measurments is 38 Long Colt. Admittedly my references are limited but we cannot come up with any info.

The barrel was shortened to 2 1/2 inches and there are no markings. It has had a bit of a rough life but locks up tight and shoots well. The chambers let a 38 Special hanging out by an eight of an inch.

Any idea what I have???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry ... didn't mean to post this ... I thought my other one was lost.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3527 times
    There were some early M&P's with the unsupported ejector rod sold to the government. 1000 each to the army and navy. The were marked .38 Mil. near the frame but I have been under the belief they were truly specials in chambering.

Let's see some pictures.

Member #
    Liked
    508 times
    Is it a Smith & Wesson? I have see numerous Spanish copies that were chambered for 38 long colt. These guns were made to look like the M&P but when you look at such things as the Monogram it is NOT S&W or it might say for Smith & Wesson Cartridge or such ploys. Does a 38 S&W round fit into the chambers? Are there markings that say Smith & Wesson? What is the approx serial Number?
    Waidmann likes this.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I left the revolver at the shop so no pics for a few days. The logo is worn but looks authentic. It has a 4 digit serial number, 5xxx I think. The barrel was cut off so there are no markings there. The serial number is on the front grip strap and on the cylinder. The number in the crane is different and there is some kind of small marking like a proof mark under it.

A 38 S&W can be put in but it is a darn tight fit. The Colt and Special cartridges go in like any other 38 or 357. The cylinders do not appear to have been reamed out from 38 S&W because they are straight with no sign of a step in the middle and a fired Colt case appears normal with no bulge.
    Last edited by oldgeoy; 01-28-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3527 times
    Several thoughts: serial on front grip strap (is this a 5-shooter?), looks like a S&W logo (Hermanos Orbea of Spain is a near look-alike), Spanish guns were common in .38 Largo and .38 Colt. S&W's Regulation Police was a 5-shot .38 S&W with a short cylinder and serial on front side of grip but, S&W did not make M&Ps in .38 S&W until WWII and they were not short cylinders.
    Last edited by Waidmann; 01-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi again,
    I just cant get a good pic of the revolver ... sorry. I am of the belief it is as Waidmann says, a Spanish copy. Nowhere is there any mention of "Made in USA" and ...
    we got for transfer ten old, pre model S&W's that were new-in-box quality. Comparing them to my whatever-it-is further reinforces the Spanish belief. The cylinders are actually tighter than the real smiths and cylinder gap is very tight with a solid lock-up and no end shake. It is in respectable mechanical shape although its looks are beyond bad. Oh yes, it is a 6 shot.
    Thanks for your comments. They were a real help. I'll be floating around here on occasion ... catch you all then.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5869 times
    [QUOTE=oldgeoy;130813]Hi again,
    Nowhere is there any mention of "Made in USA" and ...

It's my understanding they didn't start stamping "Made in the USA" on S&W frames until the 1920's.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Howdy again,
    Thanks grasshopper. That is good news ... after more cleaning, scraping, and finally acid dipping to remove what was bluing/paint/??? the logo, we're certain is S&W but darn old. The logo is definitely not Orbea's. The serial number on the front strap is still a bit baffling but the same number is stamped on the back of the cylinder which is odd. The number inside the crane is different but that isn't uncommon with S&W. My boss is calling it a "put-together" revolver because he feels it was put together from a box of spare parts ... some how that makes sense to me at this point ... with the frame being early 1900's.

When I finally get this critter cleaned up and looking "human", I will try to put some pics here.

I used to post pics on the Leverguns forum using Photobucket. Is that how it's done here? Do you have directions in a "How-to" for pics?

Thanks again,
    Gerry

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times
    Photobucket is one way to do it and the one I use. It's pretty easy once you get the hangs of it. Sounds like an interesting old gun.

Links