+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

S&W Victory Model, 38 S&W

Hello! I'm new to this forum and am seeking some information. I own a gun shop in Mission, KS and just came into possession of a S&W Victory Model chambered in 38 S&W, 5" barrel. I know a little about this gun as I've been researching it, but I'm still confused as to some of the proof marks and possible history of this particular firearm. On the right side plate there is what appears to be a rack number of some sort, a number "2" in white paint. It has been reblued (brushed rust blue) but looks like the military reblued it themselves at some point. The hammer and trigger have been blued as well. It has quite a lot of patina/character (which is something I love) and appears to have been used a lot. On the left side of the barrel, in the first two letters of the "Smith and Wesson" there is a little bit of red paint, which looks identical in color to the red paint the US Navy used when they stamped their Victory Models. However, there is no US Navy stamp on the gun. United States Property is stamped on the back strap. The serial number is V705xx, and on the butt (with the lanyard swivel still there) are the proof marks of WB and what appears to be "I C" with either an "8" stamped horizontally between the two letters or an infinity sign. Equally puzzling are tiny star-looking stamps on the top left of the receiver behind the barrel and also on top of the barrel near the receiver. I'm curious if anyone here would have any information about these stamps or the possible history of this gun. Thanks in advance for your help!

(I will try to post pictures later if I have time...)

Member #
    Liked
    2772 times
    That range is 1942-1945. Probably closer to 1944.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3057 times
    Ditto the above. You have the British Service Model variant, WB was the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps inspector, the "8" on close inspection will be the OC flaming bomb. Photos of the other stuff will be helpful. The gun is chambered .38 S&W (not Special). Its value, or lack thereof will be based on the nearness to original condition or parts. This one of highest production variants of the 1905 Hand Ejector Change 4. If the chambers were reamed to accept .38 Specials expect bulged or cracked cases.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Do you have any pics?

Links